BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Lurker

Question 150cc gy6 engine not wanting to start

I have a 2006 Avanti 150cc moped only has 450 miles on it. One day i was letting the bad battery charge for a few minutes to get ready to go on for a ride. I had taken a look at the instrument cluster the clock is normally on all the time and when i went out to try to start it the clock was not displaying the time. Put the key in the ignition and turn, no power. Tried to hit the electric start switch, nothing. I took a pair of jumper cables hooked one end to the car battery that i was jumping the moped off of. Then hooked the negative cable to the bottom of the starter then i had taken the positive and laid the clamp across the solenoid terminals then the moped started but the voltage is not being regulated because when i increase the throttle and turn the blinker on it stays on but when it is idling it blinks normal. Can someone help me please why i am having this problem with my scooter i know this website is for dune buggies but some of them have the same engine that my moped has.I thought it was the magneto/stator was the problem but my lights were working until the engine was running.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Contributor

try scootdawg.proboards.com, devoted to scooters, I've found lots of good scooter stuff there.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Heavy Contributor

Start by checking the main fuse for the battery. If this is blown, it will give you these types of symptoms.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Lurker

I had taken a wire attached it to the battery than ran the wire to the voltage regulator wire harness. I eliminated the voltage regulator. Inserted wire from the positive battery terminal to the red wire that ran into the voltage regulator. Now everything works from the instrument cluster to the switches and blinkers blinking. I also ran the scooter at a high rpm to check if my blinkers would stay on, they didn't, lights kept blinking normal. The fuse is in mint condition. The capacitor discharge ignition module I recently purchase off of chinesemotoparts4less.com works. Soon as I started the moped, the sucker nearly took off with the new cdi installed. The voltage regulator on other hand is brand new. Does not work at all and I don't have a multi-meter or voltage meter to check for a hot and work my way from there. But soon. I had my instrument cluster light up with the "new" voltage regulator but turn off as soon as it light up. Can't remember which wire. Oh! That website i described has really cheap parts for scooters, dirt bikes, and buggies. The only thing that they messed up on was my voltage regulator it wasn't the right one. The one that was pictured and descriptor was the right one, same exact one. When it arrived opened the box seen it it wasn't the right one.

Last edited by GlobertinStone3@gmail.com; 10-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.