BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Lite Contributor

Default $2,500 to spend... which new Buggy?

Hey guys, this site has been a wealth of info and help over the past year. I have a Yerf spiderbox... has uni filter, hi output coil, and upgraded HD spindles, ball joints, and front tires... rear tires coming soon. It's running great. I bought it for the kids and we have all enjoyed it! I am thinking of selling it and getting a brand new 150cc buggy. I like our yerf, but am wanting something with more features and comfort. My budget would be $2,500... I think I want buggy with the gy6 engine (the one where parts are easy to find), well built and good features. I have looked around, but it can be so confusing... considering the BMS King Cobra 150cc, Kinroad, Hammerhead, TrailMaster... If you were going to spend up to $2,500 what would you go with and why? In other words, the best bang for my buck! Tom, do you sell Buggies at SYC? I had trouble accessing your website this morning... seems like it's down. I just noticed you are in my neck of the woods... my parents live in Southaven! These 2 look interesting:

http://www.steelespowersports.com/150GK-9a.html

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/15130

Last edited by TNBuggy; 04-01-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Lite Contributor

Comaring the BMS Power Kart to the BMS King Cobra... Same engine... why so much difference in torque? Also note the difference in ground clearance and compression. Is the torque thing just how each kart is geared? One geared for speed, the other for climbing? ... But the Cobra has a higher top speed as well, even though it's considerably heavier. what gives?

http://go-karts.findthebest.com/comp...King-Cobra-150

Last edited by TNBuggy; 04-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM

You should consider the disclaimers they throw in there, 'depending on rider weight and road conditions', means in theory, it will achieve that speed, but add a rider/driver, and that top speed will fluctuate greatly.

If you want to spend that much for a 150cc, would you consider adding a bit more to your top dollar and spring for a 250cc? I saw one on there looked pretty nice, with 4 wheel independent suspension, and a 15hp, liquid cooled engine.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 PM

why sell the old one
Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Power User

i wouldn't trust any of the info on that find the best site-- the dimensions between the two are so incorrect that it makes me doubt the rest of the info. Were i the one with that kind of coin for an outright buy, i'd find a good condition used 250 or 400 cc buggy over a 150. the depreciation on them is horrendous.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

There is also the option of putting that money into the one you have and making it super bad. Or finding a GREAT deal on a used one and sinking that money into both. If you search threads on here you will see that some have gotten great deals on used ones. Im talking a couple hundred bucks. That leaves you enough to make both karts super bad. Just a thought. Alot of the used ones that are listed as " not running " are simple to fix and are being sold cheap brcause the owner doesnt realise just how cheap and easy these things are to fix. Or they lack the skills or desire to do so.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Heavy Contributor

I agree with the 250cc option as well

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM

For $2500 you cold get 2 used ones and still have coin left! I gave $900 for 2 running 150's and have no regrets in that investment!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Lite Contributor

good suggestions... I have thought about adding more on to our yerf to give it a better ride, and adding a reverse gear and a parking brake, but honestly, I'm not sure I have the time to get that deep into it. That's why a new one with those features is appealing. I know some basic stuff to help keep one maintained and running, but not sure I want to go a lot further than that. I'm still thinking it over, but If I do decide to sell, you'll here it here first!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Heavy Contributor

I can understand not wanting to add a gearbox for reverse as this is not a simple add on. You could still find used buggies that have the reverse and still have lots of money to improve performance. There are some simple mods which are considered by most to be non negotiable. The price for brand new buggies is so high and buying new is still no guarantee that you wont have issues to deal with. I dont have experience with lots of different manufacturers but some of the others here can suggest the better built brands. There is also a thread on here with reviews of different 150cc buggies.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 PM

Default To the man!!!

First off, putting a reverse kit on isnt that hard to do and if you run into a snag there are plenty of us to ask, and you can always call Tom, that being said if you want to buy a new buggy with confidence Tom at Sycpowersports sale Hammerheads and Trailmasters, he is the guy I'd call for sure!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

Ahh. I thought you had to weld and fabricate some sort of cradle to fit the reverse box. Getting everything lined up and even. If that was needed then i would screw that up a time or twelve. But I have never done it so I really shouldnt say. I totally agree with contacting Tom for the brand new one.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Power User

biggest difficulties with adding a reverse is finding the correct output shaft and the need "sometimes" to move the sprocket on the axle for chain alignment.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Yep.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

So do they bolt on like the ones that come built into the newer buggies??

Old 04-06-2013, 09:46 PM

There are so many different "kits" out there that it really varies from one to the other.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 PM

Not to mention the "quality" of the kits!