BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-02-2016, 07:04 AM
Lurker

Default Air filter wet with fuel

Hello,

Have yerfdog 3000 something or another with a predator 212 motor. Put on an air element, exhaust, and carb jet+tube. The cart runs great and plenty enough for the kids. I did notice one thing that hopefully someone can explain. The air element was soaked with gasoline on the bottom half. At first I thought it was water but turned out to be gas. The kids do romp the heck out of that little cart, catching air running though wild boar ruts etc. Is fuel in the air element normal with rough riding? Also, I would like to add, I have the fuel vent tube just hanging out uncapped and there is a breather filter from the valve cover, if that makes any difference. Also this is a brand new predator engine with only a few hours of use.

Thanks

Last edited by iamatt; 03-02-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Heavy Contributor

I have same issue if my float lvl is to high. My first thought would be to adjust your float.
Might try to clean the filter, make sure no gas in it. Go for a nice cruise with it. 20 30 mins. Check the air element. Maybe no gas? The take it for a hard ride. Then see if has gas in bottom of it. If so, then it's how it's being driven. So is normal? don't know. There are carbs that are made for that type of riding, so it wont leak out I believe.
But if you can go for a normal soft drive, and it's soaked, then think your Float in the carb, might need to be adjusted.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Supporting Vendor

The filter should not have any fuel. The carb should by sucking air draw all fuel into cylinder. However a rich mixture, too high float level, low compression would cause the carb to regurgitate fuel into the filter.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:44 AM
Lurker

Ok think I tracked it down. Looks like the carb gasket is leaking on the engine side. where the carb butts up against some plastic plate and then the plate to the engine head. This is on a hemi predator.

Maybe I tightened the bolts too tight when I put on open element air filter?

Guess I'll try putting on a new gasket. Macaroni and cheese box cutout works in a pinch ;-)

The gasket is the paper one, tried to use the one from my old blown predator but tore when removing. Suggestion on place to purchase and what it would be called as?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Lurker

Answering my own post. Think I may hae cracked the insulator. Purchased new insulator and gaskets hope that is good enough!. Wondering if there is aftermarket insulator replacement? Also what is the torque ft lbs on the nuts to hold the carb to the insulator? Think I really wrenched it down and broke, will check after work. Thanks !
Old 03-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Heavy Contributor

Not sure what torque should be. My rule of thumb is snug. Shouldn't be cranking down on it to get it tight. But tight enough it stop by using one hand. if to lose, and always give it another half turn or so.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:40 AM
Lurker

Still have leaks that soak up the air intake filter and leak on the engine side of the carb.

The insulator plate is ok and not cracked. Can someone tell me what the small engraved lanes are for on the engine block side of the carburetor ? I think the fuel is leaking down those, maybe some overflow of some sort? When the cart is being used it seems to run OK for a little while then gets to about 75% power max and I see the air element wet with fuel and wetness and slight puddling on the bottom of the insulator plate.

Thanks , getting frustrating!
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Supporting Vendor

Post some pics
Old 03-14-2016, 05:50 AM
Lurker

Hello,

Still having problem with this fuel leaking or maybe spilling up through the air intake! I just replaced the carburetor with a brand new stock one. I did change the stock tube and jet screw for a higher performance one. Put it back together and let the kids romp it around and there it is again. k&n filter soaked with fuel, again. Any ideas or suggestions?? I do not know if this happened with the stock air box because I never really noticed or had a reason to look.

This motor is the hem style.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Supporting Vendor

Is the governor still connected?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Lurker

Yes gov still there Only thing is exhaust pipe and filter,new e tube and jet. I bought the kit when I had an old style predator. I since replaced the motor with a hemi but using the original hop up kit
Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 AM
Heavy Contributor

Guess check how your carb is setting. Is it lvl? or does it sit at an angle. If it's at an angle, then very well could need a float adjustment.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Heavy Contributor

Even if it's at a slight angle. Don't take much for the bowl to over flow, if carb not lvl.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Lurker

Ok I will check the angle and the float. Also make sure I have the gaskets installed in the right order. Could driving over rough ground and romping . donuts etc. cause the bowl to overflow? If that is the case then now sure what the solution would be. Surely others ride their karts up and down hills , through pastures etc. and don't have these problems? Also would a brand new carb need a float adjustment? I threw a new one at the motor and still same problem. May just buy whole new motor and keep stock and see if that fixes the problem. as a last resort.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

How does the plug look?
Old 03-18-2016, 05:57 AM
Lurker

Didn't get a chance to check the plug. I did change the tube in the carburetor back to the stock one and put in another jet but can't recall if it was the stock jet or a larger diameter one. The cart is not overflowing AS much, or barely at all now. So, not sure if it was swapping the tube back to stock or the jet or a combo of the two. I'm going to leave it like this to keep the kids happy... and occupied don't have much time to mess with this thing since we trapping hogs right now but it is definitely running better.