BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Lurker

Default 1000cc cbr motor in spider box gx150

hi guys im new here but ive had my yerf dog 150 for a long while now and i think its time to go a little engine upgrade so far heres wat i have planned
1. got a 1000cc 93 cbr engine all wiring and everything
2. i have enuff plexy glass for a windshield
3. yamaha blaster shocks in the back carter 1150 in the fron tnew bracket for both due to the new length
4 new custom 3/4 front spindles hubs from bmi
due to the added torque ill be grafting .982 steel pipe onto rear hubs an adding plit locking collars or should i just get a new axle?????
5 new rims alll around gotta be looking good on thos i want 26x8-12 in the front and 26x12-12 in the back maybe 26x10-12 opinions??
6reinforcing a arms adding heavy duty ball joints
some extras.........new racing seeats 5 point harnesses 6 kc daylights 4 top 2 front.... brake light ....mirrors.... mycrogen racing wheel ..tach and speedometer ...slap shift since itll be a 6 speed now (: and im sure im missing things i need some opinions on all this wat am i missing????
Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Heavy Contributor

Unless you widen the track, lengthen the wheelbase or modify the main cage 26" front tires will not clear when turned.

The chassis was not made for that much power and you will need to rebuild/strengthen it from top to bottom. You will not be able to buy bolt on parts that will do this.

That motor is heavy on the swing arm and will effect the rear suspension. Going to such a large engine should include plans to hard mount it with IRS.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome-I'd love to see a successful transplant of this type -1000cc in a Spiderbox.
Couldn't agree more with you GX150 though - I'm sure all of us Spiderbox owners have dream't about a similar kind of mod. I'm on your side mountianteerinpa with the mod. but I'm realistic.
The one item not included in your list- LOT'S of life insurance
That motor is 200 lbs vs. your 60lbs 150cc- considerable difference. When adding this much hp/torque and weight it will make it really hard to back-up too!! oops! I mean pick the front or back up and move it around till you can drive forward again, but everyone figures they can just power the rear around with the engine!!!!(doesn't work when running onto an obstacle though) I doubt the stock axle even with mods will hold with the additional torque either. Front brakes would be a must too. I'm trying to run the mod's needed through my head and it's making me dizzy!!!! It would be easier to build a new heavier duty chassis/buggy than mod the Spiderbox in my opinion. Then I think about the forces that would be applied to the front suspension- stock Spiderbox with mod's just barely handle the 150's power without regular breakage.
Again I'd love to see one of these transplants that's successful and fun to drive- Go for it and keep us posted with pic's and vid's.