BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Lurker

Default 150cc buggy anyone know or have one of these models?

Hi I'm a newb to buggys and this forum.Hi..lol. I'm assuming this is a newer model cuz I can't find info one these anywhere. I really like this chassis and I'm jus looking for input. Also I've always rode mx and I am wondering if I will be bored with the gy6 powerplant? So maybe som e advice in that dept also...thanks in advance. Here's the link I believe roketa sells this model too

http://www.scooterdepot.us/go-karts-...tml#pro_tabs-6
Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Contributor

If you rode mx you will not be happy with a stock buggy. With the price of that buggy and about 5-600 dollars, you could build something you will be very happy with. I was new to the buggy scene like yourself only 6 months ago. I was not happy at all with all the bolt on and cvt mods and frankly felt dissappointed. Then i built the engine and am totally in love with the buggy. Just lower your expectations out of the gate and don't expect a powerplant until you have done the upgrades.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Lurker

So what you are saying is the gy6 is decent after its built up?i was worried that even after all available mods it would still feel slow..what do you have done to yours if u don't mind me asking?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Lurker

I should have mentioned in my post that I was looking at these cuz I wanted a small buggy. Even considering a rzr 170 clone.. I don't want a full size buggy I want something I can roll in n out of pickup bed to blast trails and maybe mess around on the track and let my gf ride it around at the mx tracks. So my expectations arnt too high I just didn't wanna be totally let down especially after $$$ invested into mods
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Contributor

Well i have a ported shaved and polished big valve head, A10 camshaft, 62mm big bore kit, intake, and bolt on FMF muffler. You can get all the engine mods from Tom at SYC Powersports. He is a Vendor on here and you can catch his banner at the top of the page.

Currenty in the CVT i have a DR2 variator with 10/12g sliders, Motorio Pulley, and a 1500 main spring.

Hammerhead 250GTS
White Torque and Clutch Springs, 18g Rollers, R2C Filter, Ported Polished and Shaved Head, Hammerhead Exhaust
Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Lurker

I'm assuming 62 mm u had to bore cases.. I've been down this road with put bikes already lol
Old 05-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Contributor

Yes. if you want to use a reliable BBK with the thicker sleeve you will need a bored case to fit the sleeve. Tom at SYC offers all the services you could as for when upgrading the engine. Im sure u have someone around your area though that does your boring for you.

Hammerhead 250GTS
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM

If you rode MX, then you will be like me, and hate the CVT. No wheel spin, no clutching it in turns, lagging acceleration, and mediocre power, unless you invest time and $$ into the engine and CVT. I have ridden street bikes for 10+ years, and I loathe the CVT, hand me a clutch and gear box, and I'm a happy camper. Presently I am resurrecting my Yerf 4206 and subbing in a 200cc honda 5 speed engine, with twice the power of the stock 150cc.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Heavy Contributor

You can never compare these buggys with an mx bike, banshees, rapters660, etc. its apples and oranges.. these buggys are for trail riding, exploring, camping, and getting lost on your exploration, family fun stuff.. with that said, me and my son use to ride bansheess all the time for the head rush till he got in an accident, we decided to slow our world down to buggys. Its much safer and we both love it... ...Eddie.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Having ridden several and even owned a polaris quad at one time, I still don't like the CVT on a quad either. My favorite quad of all time was a honda recon, I know, its almost a kids quad, but dang it, that thing was fun, and hella durable. I don't recommend a street bike engine, or 660 raptor engine, but the stock engines are not designed for adult riders, imho, but can be polished to feel like they can be for adults, at the expense of $$$ in engine and CVT mods, but you are still using a scooter platform. I chose mine as a compromise between more power, reliability, cost, and what the rest of the buggy can handle. Had I gone with a 500cc+ engine, there would have been waay more mods done to the frame to handle the speed and driving style associated with that type of engine.

My suggestion would be, if you want a good out of the box buggy, opt for a 250, if you don't mind getting hands dirty, then buy a 150 and mod it, or find a 'fixer upper' and make it what you really want. If simplicity rules, then the CVT is the way to stay, but again, thats alot of $$ to gamble on buying it and maybe hating it.

Do you have any friends that have these buggies, or access to something similar? At least you can get a baseline of what they feel like.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Lurker

No my friends don't have any. I'm sure if they liked it they would get into it but I'd be the te$t pilot lol
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Lurker

Thank you all for the replies and info. If I go for it I think I may get the model posted or a rzr 170 clone ... I will probly mod it but I enjoy that stuff I built some pitbike engines over 20hp..
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Contributor

Welcome Ugm582, I also was a big dirt bike track rider for ten years and now at 43 my back cant handle hard landings and cant afford to get hurt. I still have my 2005 yz 250 but love ridding my Baja dune 155cc. It has a top speed of 40mph and feels fast enough. As for the buggy you showed I was looking into that one also but don't need another buggy now. It looks cool and like you said it will fit into your truck bed. I have two folding ladder ramps and put my buggy in backwards and off to the desert. The best part of these little buggys is they don't cost a bunch of cash and are light enough to get unstuck without any help.

As for speed and power they are a bit lacking but fun to modify to see how much you can get. I am a bit addicted to modifying both of our buggys.

My red 2005 Baja dune 150 has a 155cc higher compression piston kit from srp, home port job on head that made a big difference. A12 cam that opened up the flow with ncy 11k valve springs. Stock carb jetted from 114 to 122 and need to go to a 125 main, the pilot is 34 stock. Orange coil and orange advanced cdi. Dr2 large roller variator with 8/9 rollers rear torque spring is a 1500rpm. Clutch with thicker pads and a ncy vented clutch bell. Just changed the internal gears in the diff to 13/43 from 13/40 and now the gearing is awesome. Also by changing the rear tires to cst ambush flat tracks it slides nice into the turns and doesn't lag in the sand as much. A uni 1.5 filter with a home made intake pipe. Stock it was slow because the trans would upshift too fast, after changing the variator rollers to lighter ones it came to life.
Modified the stock muffler by welding a little larger tip to reduce back pressure but not to much so it will still have low end.

Also the suspension was very rigid on our dune 150s so after finding the right shocks it made it more fun to ride and not get beat up in rough trails. The razors and the articat side by sides are cool but at 17k to 20k and over 1,000lbs wont work for me.

I really have a lot of fun with our two mini buggys and look forward every time we go to the desert. Besides now my wife dosnt have to try to play catch up with me on my dirt bike. I will post a video of our buggys.

Last edited by Johnny 5; 05-03-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: added more
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Contributor

This video is about a year old and the motors/trans/gearing have been set up even better. The more we go the better I get at dialing in the trans and tuning. My wife tells me to leave them alone but I have fun working on them to get more power. Some of the power is just getting the cvt to work best for the terrain you ride in. I will say that in hot weather the gy6 motor does lag but they have oil coolers available for 200 bucks or less. I haven't bought one yet a little short on cash these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekpsd...TcnGwm2FZ_-tOg

Last edited by Johnny 5; 05-04-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Heavy Contributor

Awsome!!! The music goes great with the video...
Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Back in the day

Welcome to the fun! I understand ur worries about performance, but it is a totally different type rush!!! I raced modified 3 wheeleres back in the day(really showing my age!!!) and as fun as that was, It's just not as fun as these little buggers are! and with unlimited mods available the skys the limits! everytime I take them out I'm amazed at what I can do with them! So why they are not as fast as ur used to, when ur strapped in just a few inches off the ground it definitly feels fast! U might want to buy used first just to save the money and use it towards some mods!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Lurker

Sorry haven't been on here in a bit. My buggy interest took a back seat for a bit.. I'm back to looking into this stuff. Do you guys have any knowledge own the tao tao 125 that looks like a mini jeep.i know it's smaller but it's half the weight of the 150 buggy , im real small and I'm good with these pit bike style engines. I had a pitster lxr last that was 184cc race head etc.. Mad screamer. They have a yx electric start now so sky's the limit with a engine build for me with this motor. I would just have to figure out how I'm gonna set up a clutch. Anyone think this is a bad idea for any reason and is this particular buggy durable or am I gonna spend all my time welding?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Contributor

If you are going to use a different motor I would look on Craig's list for a used buggy. As for the durability I am not sure. What happened to the GK 150 in your first post. I would go with that one myself if I was going to replace one of our buggys and swap out the front brakes from the dune 150. I noticed this buggy has no front brakes.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Lurker

I still like that buggy but I was worried about not achieving the hp I'd be happy with. I know I can build the Chinese crf style clone engine close to 20hp and the weight difference alone plus the hp should get me rippin I hope. Also another thing is I really want a buggy I can put in my pick up.someone said the 125 mini buggy will run with the larger 150 gy6 buggies both stock.. Is this true ?
Old 07-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Contributor

I just looked at the jeep 125 and it has 7 inch wheels and the rear axel looks kind of thin. Seat to pedals is 33 inches, for me it would be too small, but if you are confident with the motor and the small compartment go for it. I just don't like the small tires because were we ride it would get stuck a lot and bottom out.
http://www.supersportz.com/index.php...oducts_id=1094

Last edited by Johnny 5; 07-27-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: add more