BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Contributor

Default Helix vs blue lightning question

Me and my buddy bought buggies from a local guy here. He told us they were American sportworks blue lightning. I'm having trouble finding any information about it. It looks alot like the helix. I am completely new to this sport and could any and all help getting this buggy better would be awesome. I would like more travel in the suspension, more acceleration, maybe some more power, better seats are a must. The endless miles I've walked in full kit and jumping out of planes has wrecked my back. ANYTHING to better this buggy would be great. I'm stationed in north corolina so the trails we ride have alot of tight corners I'd like to pull out of faster and quite a bit of hills that bog it down. Thank guys
Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Administrator

They are the same thing, model 6150. The ones that go through Tractor Supply were called a Helix and I think so of the Lightenings actually got mudflaps.

Go with a UNI air filter, and change the clutching (variator) a bit. Which way to go with the variator depends on what your ultimate goals are. You can weight it to better take off but if you do that too much, you'll lose top end.

We always like a 13 gram slider for the variator. Gave us a better take off without losing anything on the top end. But...we rode mostly flat track and top speed was important to us.

You'll enjoy the buggy.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Contributor

Which size for the filter? Is there a magazine dedicated to these buggies?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Contributor

Thanks for clearing the model up bro
Old 05-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Contributor

Just wanting to put it out that I appreciate the help from everyone. Not very many people help without expecting something from it anymore.'some peoples kids I tell ya"
Old 05-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootboy1488 View Post
The endless miles I've walked in full kit and jumping out of planes has wrecked my back. ANYTHING to better this buggy would be great.
finding a better seat will be real tough. most of the decent seats are for automotive dimensions so are too large to fit a buggy chassis. The ones that do fit are not much better than what you have.
Being an army brat myself, I know the brag area well. we used to sneak on to the firing ranges to ride dirt bikes. YEA, Not smart but we were young and dumb... it was fun to out run the jeep patrol. Those MPs had absolutely no sense of humor!
The terrain around Brag has very loose sandy soil. you will need to set up for low end torque. GX150 runs sand so he can give you a good set up. SYCARMS can supply you with the components you need. I'm about an hour or so north of you (Orange county). We set up for hard pack clay (high end horsepower) so I can't help you much there.
But I can help with the back problems! ! I suffer from different causes but same effects! Here's some tips I found that make a huge difference
Install a good 5-point seat belt system. The belts will hold you firmly down in the seat reducing the bouncing around that sends jolts and shocks up the spine. The belts are uncomfortable at first After getting them properly adjusted and getting used to them your butt and back will thank you!
Use a neck/collar brace. It's a donut that slips around your neck between your helmet and shoulders. the collar helps support the helmet. You would be amazed at how much back and neck energy is used to keep that heavy helmet up while being tossed around.
You'll probably still ache like a bitch at the end of the day but not near as bad. Your endurance and comfort levels are tremendously increased not to mention the safety factor these additions give.
Air down the tires. This gives a little extra cushion and will help in the soft sand as well. I air up to reduce sidewall flex on the track but air down for comfort while casual riding.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Contributor

Yea the Mps still havnt figured out how to laugh. I'll look into a five point. The main problem is how low the seat back is. This crap seat belt just continues to lock tighter and tighter forceing that seat back right under my shoulder blades. With you being atleast that close after this next deployment we should try to get together. Thanks for the advice