BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Lite Contributor

Default carbide makes tire squealing noise when accelerating

I bought two used Carbides. When one of them is at a stop and the accelerator is hit it makes a sound like squeeling tire or rubber rubbing on something. Not the high pitch but the lower squeel a tire will make. What sound will a clutch make when it is bad or going out? And how would I check to see if the brakes are dragging?
Any ideas on what would make this noise?
Thanks, I think I could fix this I just need your expert direction/advice.

Last edited by tybic; 12-21-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: edit title
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Lite Contributor

It could be the drive belt slipping. If it were the brake pads you should be able to just roll it forward or backward without the engine started and the brake pads cold and it would make a squeeling sound. My sons rear pads were glazed from getting hot and making noise. I just took them off and scuffed them on sand paper. If it's not the brakes, take the cvt cover off and jack the rear off the ground. Have someone hit the gas while you watch the belt movement and listen for noise.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Supporting Vendor

Ditto
Tom
Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks I will try that. Pushing the gokart it does not make the noise from the rear and the brakes do not sound like they are dragging, only when it is under power. That makes since about the belt.
I have not had the cover off yet, is the belt the only thing that could be worn out and needs looked at while I'm in there?
For future reference what sound does the clutch make when it is going out?
I am new to the gokarts but I will catch on quickly.
Thanks for all the help ,
Ty
Old 12-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Administrator

As mentioned, that belt will make that sound. You have to pull the front variator off when changing the belt so you could look and see what kind of shape the rollers are in while in there. Any flat spots are bad.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Lite Contributor

Beisides looking at the belt you want to check the following: Make sure the belt when at a stand still is only about an 1/8 of an inch below the top edge of the driven pully. If it is somewhat lower than that it means the main spring is not closing the driven pully all the way which could be the problem if the belt is not worn out. It would cause slack in the belt allowing it to slip.
Remove the variator and check the rollers for wear and flat spots. Look at each side of the variator plates making sure there are no rough spots or deep grooves. Remove the clutch bell and inspect the clutch pads. If they are glazed, scuff them with sand paper. Check the clutch arms making sure the springs are intact. Look at the inside of the bell for rough spots. It can be sanded with 400 grit to smooth out. Clean out any dirt or debris in the cvt and cover.
When you have it jacked up and hit the throttle, the belt should run up close to the top of the variator and the bottom of the driven pully.
The sound a clutch makes when worn out....I don't know, I've never had one worn out yet, but I suppose it would make a scraping sound and your buggy would barely move if any.
I hope this helps you.
BTW, You'll need an impact gun to remove the variator and clutch bell. Do not over tighten them when re-installing.

Last edited by wasjustlooking; 12-22-2010 at 02:23 PM.