BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Lurker

Default 6.5 help??

ok sooo when i try to start it white smoke comes out of the carbareutor and it wont start what is that???
Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator

That sounds like a carb backfire condition. Did you pull the valve cover off and inspect everything in there?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Lurker

yes i did and i they werent set right so i set them the right way and now it turns over just wont start and that smoke comes out
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Ok. When you say it wasn't right, what did you see to indicate that and what did you do to correct it?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Lurker

the rods were set right just the rockers werent sitting on the rod and the spring or w.e. its called and i pushed the springs down a little bit and sat the rockers on the rods and springs
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

I see. You'll likely need to take that cover off one more time. You have to look down the holes that the pushrods go into. At the bottom of those holes there is a little dish that those pushrods are made to go down into. They have to be seated properly. If the push rods are sitting on the edge of that dish (the intake valve for example), what happens is the intake valve is held open too much and it will blow back out the carb as you described.

The correct way to do it is to loosen the locknuts up on the rocker arms, seat the push rods properly, and set the gap (lash) between the top of the valve and the bottom of the rocker arm to .002 to .003 inches. You do that while the cam lobe is down (i.e. it is not trying to push the valve open).

You'll have to slowly turn it over and watch the pushrod come up and then go compeltely back down and then make the lash adjustment.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Lurker

ok very goood then thank you very much for the help..