BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Lurker

Default Go kart head aches!

I bought a sunl (yeah...it's not running) about 6 months ago. The electrical system was fried. I just got it running yesterday. It was running kinda rough so I took the carb off and cleaned it. I got everything put together adjusted it to idle but now that the engine is up and running it won't GO FORWARD!!! It seems like the engine isn't reaching a high RPM to get the torque converter to engage the wheels. If I put it on jack stand and put the pedal down for a few minutes the rear wheels will start moving but I can stop them with my hands. I'm thinking that if I tune the carb it should reach higher RPMs. Any thoughts on the issue...should I clean the converter? The kart is a '05 Sunl 150cc, standard chinese engine.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Contributor

First make sure fuel flow is good. You should clean the tank, take out n clean the petcock, new filter, and re clean tha carb. Adjust the valves. Make sure you have no air leaks at the intake. Check all the electric connections and grounds
Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Heavy Contributor

welcome to the group
chuck is right do the external stuff first
see if that solves your problems
then start on other things
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Lurker

if you say you throttled up and the engine is not getting high enough rpms. but the enine is not choking on excesssive fuel being pumped in or missfiring? take the aircleaner off of it start it and throttle it up and give a couple quick shots of carb cleaner ( i like berkley 2+2) if that makes the engine surge you might have a gum up problem. bu t i would also take a look at the throttel linkage and the springs. and check the govenor( if there is one)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

is it bogging when you give it gas? How did you clean the pilot jet?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 AM
Contributor

If none of these suggestions fix the issue, it is possible someone has shredded a belt at one point and installed a new one w/o making sure the rollers were in the variator properly. My first one did the same thing when I was first learning. I replace the belt and the rollers were all slung sideways and it did the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 05-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Lurker

Thanks for all the help guys. I've taken a break from it until I get a new battery. I've had the battery on a trickle charger but cracking it over so much shot the battery.