BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Contributor

Default TAV 30 spring change

The green spring on the driven unit came out of the #3 hole somehow so I had to take it apart to get the spring back into place. I decided now was a good time to put in the stiffer yellow spring that I have to keep it in low gear longer. I had no way of indexing anything since the spring had already moved. I reassembled it with the yellow spring and preloaded it. On the cart, the belt was immediately pulled to the center of the driven unit and was stuck. Did I not preload the driven unit enough? How many "turns" do you rotate the outer hub before pushing it down and installing the retainer clip? I was able to put it in a vise and preload it by hand. I need the "trick" of how to index it properly. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Administrator

I can't remember exactly without having one here but typically what people wind up doing is they don't have it loaded to the correct side of the black nylon looking tits. If I remember right, when you are looking at it with the outer face towards you (as in you have it on the ground and are turning the outer half counter clockwise to preload it as you push it down) it's not even a complete turn. I am thinking no more than a 1/2 turn or so.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Contributor

Default Preload

I remember them being a bitch to change. If the belt gets sucked right into the rivets in the middle, either there isn't enough preload or iras on the wrong side. Only 3 buttons have numbers, the other 3 don't.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Contributor

Default Preload....

If the belt is being pulled right into the center of the pulley, then I need more spring pressure to resist it correct? These things are supposed to be hard to move by hand right? Do I need to rotate to the next bank of buttons?? That is alot of pressure!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

The belt pulling quickly to the center is the sign of the weaker spring and doesn't indicate a malfunction- just a quick upshift.There are not hard to turn by hand if the bushing is lubed,pre-load is clockwise to the nearest rubber or ramp(1/4"turn maybe). The hole placement provides for a very small adjustment in the return of the pulleys. I've always just loaded the spring in the center hole. If the pulleys don't retract it's more likely the bushing.I know if you pre-load past the second rubber it doesn't retract well.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Whether they are hard to turn is relative to the person doing it. I feel they are pretty hard to turn and expand. I like the middle setting too.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

You're right Buggymaster- it is relative to the individual.I actually don't turn it , I grab the pulley and draw it towards the spring to check out the eaze of movement.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Contributor

I think you were right buggymaster, it seems that I manhandled it too far and was on the wrong side of the buttons. The buttons need to slide towards the back of the buggy along the ramps (on a TAV 30 system). Otherwise, the belt will just get pulled into the center rivets.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Just so you can have the literature from Comet- here's the a link that explains most everything you'd need to know about their clutch and driven units.
http://www.*****************/asymapp.htm
Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Contributor

That is the same link that I used. Thanks.