BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Contributor

Default Subaru EX27: Carb leaking fuel

It ran great all day yesterday. All I did was move the tank location from the engine to the "cargo rack" and lengthened the fuel line. Now it has flat spots, crappy throttle response and leaks fuel. Does the plastic float need adjustment? I want it to run like it did on it's madien voyage yesterday. It has to be the float.....right? This thing is brand new.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Where is it leaking fuel from?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Lurker

Make sure there's no air in the fuel line too. They don't like that lol
Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Contributor

Default Bowl vents?

it looks like there are 2 fuel bowl vents: FRONT - lower right REAR - upper right The rear gasket is designed to let the vent on the back of the carb drip down eventually wetting the entire fuel bowl. How do you adjust the float? It's plastic! I can't download any of the robin service manuals that are pdf.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Some plastic floats have metal tangs to adjust and some do not. If your float does not have the metal tang which limits travel than your fload is non adjustable. It could also be trash in the needle /seat. When the float rises it pushes on the needle closing off the flow of fuel into the bowl. If it does not close the bowl will keep filling with fuel until it comes out the vent. If you do have the metal tang on your float you would bend to limit floats travel. With the bowl removed hold carb in its upright position than observe the position of the float. On the side of the float you should see the seam the 2 halves were joined at. This seam should be parralel with the rim of the carb . If the adjustment is off just bend the metal tang. If the float has no metal tang than clean the needle and seat really good. TOM
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Contributor

float is all plastic....no metal tab for adjustment. I had the needle out but didn't use any carb cleaner. I thought maybe the engine wasn't level but it would have to be way off to cause a leak like this. I just don't understand it. All I did was move the tank.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Contributor

Also, it is only wet after driving around. If the engine is running and the buggy is sitting still on level ground it won't leak. I had a similar problem with a modified tecumseh........it would want to stall after riding down an incline but it was running out of fuel....no leaks.....I had to lower the float on that one. This subaru also wants to stall and hesitates upon acceleration but it leaks fuel. This float doesn't hang level with the carb body.....it hangs down a bit.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Supporting Vendor

It sounds to me likr the needle/seat is leaking, could be dirt or could be bad.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Contributor

Cleaned every inch of the carb with cleaner, new fuel line and filter (sprayed those out too). I even cleaned that spark plug and it still runs ****ty from idle upon acceleration. The carb is still pushing out fuel when riding. I checked the float, needle & seat and they are working. With the bowl off, push up on the float and fuel stops flowing........let the float hang and fuel flows. This thing seems to be running rich all of a sudden. I'm stumped......and pissed.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Contributor

I tried something yesterday......I closed the fuel valve 1/2 way and it ran much better and didn't leak nearly as much fuel. So that leads me to believe that the float is the problem. I'm going to find a way to adjust this plastic float. It does not hang level with the carb body.....it currently hangs down.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Lurker

Check out eBay. A seller by the
username eddiehaskel28 sells whole new carbs really cheap.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Contributor

I checked it out but he didn't have any carbs listed. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJOHC View Post
Check out eBay. A seller by the
username eddiehaskel28 sells whole new carbs really cheap.
I
Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

I typed in subaru ex27 in my brouser and come up with a manual from subaru, however it does not speak of or instruct the adjustment of the float. I than went on 2 different forums where they spoke of adjusting the float. Although your float is plastic, if it has a metal tang which the needle clips on your float can be adjusted by bending the metal tang. If the tang is also plastic there is no adjustment. I had also read a post which your problem with exception of the flooding was discussed. The solutions were to bypass the fuel pump using only gravity feed, and the other fix was to incert a T fitting in fuel line with a return hose to the fuel tank returning excessive fuel. It sounds that your problems started with the elevation of the fuel tank. Raising the tank higher increases the delivery pressure to the carb, and along with the fuel pump may be creating too much pressure to where it is causing fuel to seep past the needle and seat.I had no problem downloading the service manual from the subaru site. If you can not down load it than PM me your e-mail and I will try to send the file to you. Its a pretty large file though. The first thing is to check your float to see if it has the metal tang on the float. Second type subaruEX27 into your google search bar. That is where I found the forums and manuals.
Tom
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Contributor

Default Thanks....

Vindication!.......I knew that elevating the tank definately had something to do with the "all of a sudden" flooding condition. No one else on this site thought so but I knew that was the cause. I didn't think this engine had a fuel pump but all I did was cut the fuel valve back a bit.......about 1/2 open. It helped alot but still not like when the tank was mounted to the engine. My float is ALL plastic.....no ajustment. Thanks again for the info.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Lurker

I also have the EX27 engine and found this in the engine manual.

"If the fuel tank is detached from the engine, the height from the bottom of the fuel tank to the fuel joint of the carburetor should be between 5 cm and 50 cm. When using a fuel pump, the bottom of the fuel tank can be up to 20 cm below the carburetor. Position the fuel tank carefully because, when it is low, fuel is not fed to the carburetor and when it is high, it can cause an overflow in the carburetor. When piping the fuel, the hose should be as short as possible and attention should be paid to heat transmission, size, bending, leakage at hose joints and so on. Care should also be taken to prevent air lock and vapor lock."
Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Contributor

Keeping the fuel shut-off valve 1/2 open seems to be working for now. Thanks again.