BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default river running small buggy?

There is a shallow river behind town. Its pretty much sand. River sand. And depth is 1 to 2 feet deep. There is deeper places of course. Was wondering if YD could do some minor river running safely. Meaning not going to tear up anything major doing so. Things ppl might know to be aware of. And if should do any prepping before hand?

I know need to protect air intake. But question would be the CVT trani. Is it OK for it to be covered in water? Or do I need to seal off the case? The air vents for the crank case and value cover. Do they need to be above water lvl? Those would be my main questions.

And simply should it even be considered? I've seen pics and vids of YD / crossfires/ ect.. in very high water. But I've put to much time and money into this one, don't want to tear stuff up. Anything major. I'd rather put my money into a different buggy made for it, rather then tear my YD up.

X-bird-- how would the buggy u selling do in the water. .
Old 04-09-2015, 11:31 PM
Power User

It wont' have the clearance up front for it. replacing the 19" tires with 22s like i planned on having on it would help, but it'd still only have about 7-8" under the lowest part of the floorpan up front (where the frame makes the upward camber angle bend behind the front wheels.) With the way i welded, sealed and drain holed the floor though, it would survive long term water exposure without rust worries far better than most.

if you're going deep enough to tank half or more of the engine case, you'd want to snorkel the cvt intake and likewise boot and snorkle the outflow channel at the tail of the case, and yes, i'd make sure the gasket was a total seal. if it's just splash, i wouldn't worry about the outflow, only the intake, as most cases have an "s" style outflow channel.

overall, not recommended, and i'll bet the buggies in those pics likely had issues down the road with electrical and more if they were dunked routinely.

Last edited by x-bird; 04-09-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Heavy Contributor

OK. Thx x-bird. Guess I will stick with mud puddles.
Not in mood to do a great amount of mods just to go out a few times. Didn't think about the eltric. Part of it. I would need to do something different other then what I have for sure. Maybe can invest in some huge tires and ride on top.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

Depending on the type od sand tires they will eat up much of the horse power. You would be better off going with regular tires.