BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 02-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Lurker

Default 05 hammerhead 150 small sprocket

I am wanting to put a smaller sprocket on, mine has the reverse though so what im trying to see is will it be possible to change it or do they make one for this buggy. thanks Daniel
Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Heavy Contributor

Smaller sprocket on the axle or the output shaft? Is your reverse internal or external?
Old 02-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Lurker

Output shaft. It is external reverse
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Heavy Contributor

Pretty sure there are a few different sizes for that, you just have to make sure you don't go so small the chain hits the head of the mounting bolts.

Numbers is a member on this site that just did some gearing for his He could probaly tell you were to get the gear.

Here is his thread.
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5255
Old 02-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Lurker

Yea I have searched around but never found anything. I know the axle is a 39 but wanted to at least go one tooth smaller on the output shaft sprocket
Old 02-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Heavy Contributor

I've also seen people have changed the gears internally. My hammer head had an internal reverse so I had to make a 1 inch keyed sprocket work.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
Pretty sure there are a few different sizes for that, you just have to make sure you don't go so small the chain hits the head of the mounting bolts.

Numbers is a member on this site that just did some gearing for his He could probaly tell you were to get the gear.

Here is his thread.
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5255
I think Dan68rs that you should first make sure that whatever sprocket you finally decide on fits your chain. My engine came with the wrong sprocket for my chain. Ended up with a correct sprocket after all was said and done. Wasn't necessarily worried about changing the gearing for top end or bottom end or anything like that. There are a lot of factors to take into account when changing gearing but in the end it is a driver's area of preference.

Here is some additional information;

[IMG]http://www.*****************/img/chadim.jpg[/IMG]

Chain No. Pitch Roller Diameter Roller Width Pin Diameter
#25 1/4 inch 0.130 inch 1/8 inch
#35 3/8 inch 0.200 inch 3/16 inch 1/8 inch
#420 1/2 inch 5/16 inch 1/4 inch 5/32 inch
#428 1/2 inch 0.335 inch 5/16 inch
#520 5/8 inch 0.400 inch 1/4 inch
#530 5/8 inch 0.400 inch 3/8 inch

P.S. Don't forget to check your bolt pattern of the current sprocket in addition to making sure you have the right sprocket for the right chain.

Note: Here is a pretty neat chart that will give you an idea of gear ratio:

Dan68rs: Check the other thread for more info and avoiding pitfalls of changing gears. There are some pretty smart people here that could probably quote what gear ratio you need off the top of their head for your driving preference.

Last note: There are suppliers here with SYC, Gopowersports, Jersey, etc... that should be able to get you a sprocket but if they can't, PM me and I'll give you the source but the English speaking sales associate is difficult to understand.

Last edited by Numbers; 02-11-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Lurker

ok thank you, im going to count and see what drive sprocket i have, i know the axle one is 39, i remember from sportbikes one down in the front sprocket was almost like 3 up on the rear sprocket. i just want to drop the drive on 1 or 2 teeth so it will climb a little better. i have alot of hills where i ride.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 AM
Supporting Vendor

If you have a stock engine making more power will solve the problem. You will gain more low end and not at the expense of top end.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Lurker

Yea that is always true. is it worth upgrading this motor or put money towards the motor swap is my thoughts.

has anyone removed the reverse from one with external reverse to be able to run a smaller sprocket?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Lite Contributor

Mine came with an 18. I changed it to a 16 so it is possible. Would upgrading the motor be more affordable ? A sprocket change costs compared to an engine upgrade is comparing apples and oranges IMHO. Will you be able to fully utilize the lower gearing without engine mods ?

Sounds like a fun dilemma to have. SYC gives solid advice. Note: This is where the madness begins and as far as I am aware of there is no cure...
Old 02-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Supporting Vendor

The type of sprocket used with external reverse is unique to that setup due to it bolts directly to the rev. gear. I know of no aftermarket sprockets available. You can always have one made in a machine shop. My guess is for about 100.00. Yerf Dog had come with no reverse. They used a short shaft with a 14 tooth splined shank sprocket. Unless you are driving open fields like farm land you will definitely need reverse, unless you don't mind getting out and pushing the buggy. Worth of swap vs mod. Building the 150 is cheaper than swapping to larger engine since nothing will be a drop in fit. A new rear carrier will have to be built for the swap, so if you have the skills of fabricating with all the tools needed this would be a way to go. But when you mention worth most never figure in their time as cost as if time is free. I never understood this thought cause when I work for someone I ask for a wage to compensate my time. I do not do it for free. If I run out of money there is always more to make but if I run out of time, that's it there is no more. What you must keep in mind is that these smaller buggies were designed for kids. Us big kids like them because there cheap but they lack as compared to say ATV's or UTV's, but that's because the cheap buggies are designed for kids whereas the expensive ATV/UTV is designed for adults(big kids). In short it all comes down to personal preferences. What do you want that buggy to do? Weather you swap sprockets which borrows from Peter to pay Paul or mod the engine to make more power which gives you more of what you want as well as building more power of an engine designed for the buggy or fabricating for a bigger engine all depends on what you want. It all costs time and money.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Lurker

I guess as far as having reverse I would love to keep it but would like it to be able to go somewhere that I would need it. Haha. It's doing better since I put yellow spring and lighter rollers it's just there are some hills it will not make it up. I have read that a cam was a big help But would love to see the actual difference myself. My initial thought when I got this buggy was to put this 750 Honda motor on it but truth is if I can get it to go thru the trails like it is I will be happy with it having the 150.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Supporting Vendor

Install a good cam and you will see the difference, add a good performance head and you will notice even more power. Four valve head is the ultimate. Weather it be a car, truck, atv or your buggy, stock engines only allow for about 65% volume in the cylinder. The more air/fuel volume packed into a cylinder will create more power. Since the performance cam will open the valves more and longer this allows a greater charge of air/fuel into the cylinder thus creating more power just as the performance head will also aid in this. A four valve head will allow for more air/fuel to enter cylinder. The object is to get up to 30% more in the cylinder than stock allows. This is where you will make the power. The more the air and fuel are compressed the more power made. A cam and head will make you seat of the pants power. Where are you located for this will give me a better idea of what your lacking with the hills your climbing.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Lurker

I live in Birmingham Alabama area. Yea I figured if the motor started having trouble I would change bore size. So what cam would be good or have people had good experience with.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have several cams in stock. Give me a call (662-301-1563) let me ask you a few more questions and I can get you the best bang for your buck.