BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Lurker

Default Yerf won't start

It sat for a couple of months and now it will only fire up with a squirt of fuel into the carburator but then dies when that is used up. I cleaned the carb really good and all passages. It has sat before and I've cleaned it and was good to go. Not sure what is going on now. Is there a pump inside the carb on these? I'm not a guru at all on small engines.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Heavy Contributor

is the gas bad?
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Administrator

No pump in the carb. The fact that it will run on a squirt is a clear indication that fuel is not being allowed to get to it. Start from the fuel bowl and work your way back. The fuel bowl has a drain screw on it. Back it out some and see if fuel comes out the drain tube. Start working your way back from there.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbob View Post
is the gas bad?

drained all the old gas, let the tank air out to dry then refilled with fresh.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
No pump in the carb. The fact that it will run on a squirt is a clear indication that fuel is not being allowed to get to it. Start from the fuel bowl and work your way back. The fuel bowl has a drain screw on it. Back it out some and see if fuel comes out the drain tube. Start working your way back from there.
Yeah, I'm betting there is a clog somewhere. Has to be. I'm wondering if it's the inline filter. When I took the carb apart there was what looked like sawdust in the bowl. Not that I'm thinking about it, that looked similar to the filter material itself.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Contributor

I would double check the pilot jet. It has a very small hole that clogs easily, especially if left to sit for long periods of time with fuel in the carburetor. If you didn't remove the pilot jet to clean it, you should.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM

^^ +1. Took me 3 tries to get all the junk out of my carb. Use a torch tip cleaner or single strand of wire to clear the pilot, it is really small.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

Once you've cleaned out ur pilot change out the fuel filter.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Lurker

I pulled both jets out and let them sit overnight in carb cleaner then blew air through them so I'm sure they'er clear. I'm going to change the filter tonight and make sure it's getting fuel to the bowl.