BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Lurker

Default What's up with these jets?

What's up again gang, got a potentially silly question.

After reading everything about carburetors on here and evaluating all the upgrades I've purchased for my GY6, I decided to order a 130 jet for my carb. The only thing is, I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. On the website I bought the jet from (don't know if I can say the name) this is the picture they show for the jet I just bought, it's the same for all of them so I'm not sure if this is EXACTLY what I'll be getting......

The thing that worries me, or confuses me is this jet does not look like the one inside my carburetor. Mine looks like this (pulled picture from another website but it's what mine looks like)...

So is the top one correct for a 130 main jet? Is that what the "upgraded" jet is supposed to look like? Could I just "dremel" the end off of mine and achieve the same effect? Help me out here guys. Thanks in advance.

-Kev
Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Heavy Contributor

The top pic represents the MAIN jet. the second pic represents the Pilot jet. you have both inside that carb. The pilot meters fuel up to a point in the throttle position then the main kicks in. leave the pilot jet stock for now. it should have someting like 35 stamped on it. you can fine tune the pilot after you get it running good. That main jet is the one to work with. The stock jets vary depending on the manufacturer. Usually somewhere around a 114. If you got a new carb, use the stock jets from the old to get a baseline and get the motor running correctly. Unless you have a upgraded exhaust ,head and intake, that 130 may run too rich.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

ckau is correct-until you go to a unifilter & gut your exhaust the 130 may be to big
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 12-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Lurker

That's what I'm going to be working with. I have a uni filter on the way, it will be here today, I "ported" the exhaust, I haven't gutted it completely yet, upgraded CDI, and high output coil. I'll go back to the website though, and order a 125 as well, just so I have some options and I can find out what's going to work for me the best. I guess I should have mentioned that in the beginning. However, the second picture IS what my main jet looks like in my carburetor. I'm gonna tear it apart later today when the new carb comes in anyway, just so I can swap out the jets and put the stock jets in the new carb. When I do that I'll take a few pictures to put on here. Just to be clear, the main jet is the one directly below the long needle which is attached to the "pump" mechanism in the middle of the carburetor right? Sorry, I don't know all the technical names of all this stuff quite yet. And the pilot is the one that sits just off to the side of that one? I just realized that second picture IS the pilot jet, holy cow, my mistake. Ok, in my carburetor, the main looks very similar to the second picture, but the main jet has a "hex" type of shape to it above the threads just like the one from the website, but it also has the long "flute" portion with the tiny holes below the threads, just like the pilot jet. So anyway, I'll get to work and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice fellas.

-Kev
Old 12-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Lurker

Wow...

I feel like an idiot. I got my new carb in today and I took the bowl off in preparation to swap out with the main jet from my old carb. When I took a screwdriver to the main jet, the "tip" came out of it (first picture)!

So on my old carb, when I was removing the main jet, in order to clean it, the entire thing was coming out of the carb, flute portion and all. That's why I thought it was all one piece! This old carb is just so gummed up, the main jet is stuck-like-chuck to the portion that screws into the carb! Oh well, chalk it up to lesson learned, I should have this thing purring like a kitten tonight! Cheers!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator

nothing beats experience my friend!