BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Lurker

Default How do I get more speed?

Hello i'm new to this forum some people I knew told me to try this forum. Anyway I have a a unknown buggy with a 125cc engine people say it's a carter because of the triangle on the top of the roll cage, but to the point I recently just bought a new clutch and 16gm weights and it seams to be hitting around 23-25 I gps it, but i have seen other 125cc going around 35mph what does my buggy not have that they do? So i'm wondering could I get more power and speed with some cheap modifications to the cvt or is it going to need to be engine related. A month ago I bought a MRP no rev limit cdi and racing ignition coil so the electrical is good, also adjusted valves to precice adjustment. What needs to happen to get up to that speed?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Lite Contributor

Did you replace the belt? A new, unworn (wider) belt will give you more speed, as it will ride higher in the pulley.

You can add a larger driver sprocket, which will give you more speed, and less take-off power.

When you add a larger driver sprocket, you will want more horsepower. Do this with an intake, exhaust, and re-jet.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Lurker

Yes i replaced the belt with a new gates 743-20-30 did'nt solve much at all.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Carter's early 150cc buggies has something on the front that made people believe it was a 125 but it is actually a 150cc. Those machines also are funny in the gearing some how. I can't say if it is because of the gearing at the axle and the drive sprocket or if it is in the transmission. Those ones seemed to top out at just over 30mph where as the later model ones would approach 40+.

If you want instant gratification, get a 250. problem solved. Of course that does tap into the wallet.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Lurker

Well that's some good info right there. So it's a 150cc but it just says 125cc well that makes alot of sense because my engine bore is 57mm as for a 125cc is a 52mm. So alittle of 30 is the max, well i could live with that i could probibly twwek it with a 62mm bore or somthing, but YEH i'm not going to empty my wallet for something that exspensive that would be a waste of time.

Thanks for the info, Buggy kid
Old 09-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Heavy Contributor

its in your transmission gearing-but you could change sprokets
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Lurker

So what gear ratios should I put on my buggy? I'm not talking about the trans I mean the fianl drive gear and the drive sprocket. What gear ratios should I go with? more for speed.