BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 05-09-2021, 01:00 PM
Lurker

Default Carburetor/engine question

Hello I’m new to the form and I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with. I have an old go cart that someone modified with a old snowmobile engine. I was taking the carburetor part and cleaning it and noticed that the part that connects the carburetor to the engine has one of the hoses not connected to anything. If you look at the picture the port on the left has a brown hose that’s connected to something and the port on the right hose has been cut for some reason and it’s not connected to anything. I’m trying to figure out where it would connect or if it is supposed to be like that disconnected. Thanks

Hopefully the pic attachment worked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9B5D9B81-307B-4BFE-A759-8917C7D96728.jpg (20.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-09-2021, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I need to know what type of carb. you have. Take pic of them. There's not enough picture to see everything important. Please turn your camera where it's shows the motor as it's sitting in the buggy-my head doesn't twist that far!!
Old 05-10-2021, 10:54 PM
Lurker

Hello sorry about the pics. Every time I upload them it turns them sideways. I made a quick video with the you tube link. Hopefully it will give you a better idea about it. I was told it was a Yamaha engine off a snowmobile. Thanks again for the help.
https://youtu.be/vHb2EXNMlYQ
Old 05-11-2021, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Thanx for the video. You will only have a fuel line,choke cables & the other tubes are overflow drains coming off the rubber intake boots.The fuel line going to the carb's would have a "T" to connect them together. The fuel line is obviously the large fitting-if there are other smaller fitting they will be overflows that don't connect to anything and should be routed down away from any heat source and to the ground.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Something I didn't think of in my last post- Does the motor have an oil pump & oil tank? If so then the lines going to the bottom of the intake rubber boots could be where the oil pump feeds oil to the cylinders.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 05-11-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:04 PM
Lurker

I think so. I made another quick little video to show you to see what you think. So far when everything was together it would only run for about seven seconds and then die. So I’ve clean the fuel tank out, Cleaned the fuel lines, put a new fuel filter on, New spark plugs and clean the carb and made sure the Jets were clear.
It looks like there are two lines coming off the bottom of the plastic oil reservoir.
Sorry about my lack of engine knowledge. Usually I just put predator engines on things and they’re super easy to deal with.
Thanks again for the help
https://youtube.com/shorts/GrYfb-aMWxE?feature=share
Old 06-08-2021, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Did you figure out if your short running was carb related? If you haven't done a leak down test, you might need too. In my experience a leaky crankcase will cause all kinds of running issues-won't idle properly, run-away throttle,your issue!short running cycle. As the motor heats up -things expand and make a small leak a large one.A good airtight 2-stroke are very reliable and strong running-the motor isn't anything more than a compressor-any leaks & it does function properly. Most leaks occur at the crankcase seals, usually pretty cheap & easy to repair.