BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Lurker

Default XT250GK Sahara with a CN250

Please help. I've had this thing for 9 or 10 months now. I got it with the harness all hacked up. I have no clue what kind it is. From searching endlessly on the net I think it's a XT250GK Sahara with the CN250. The CN250 is a definite. Found it printed on the inside of the clutch case. From the wire harness at least what's left of it, I've only came across the Sahara that has the same wire colors, 3 phase stator and regulator/rectifier with 3 yellow, red, black and green wires. Didn't come with a CDI. Forget about how long it took me to figure out that it's DC fired CDI. So any who I've ripped this thing down installed a new 18 pole 3 phase stator, pickup wires, RR and DC CDI. Ive wired and rewired this thing more times , I can taste copper! I am now down to just what I need to suposibly just get spark. Guess what no spark. I've invested alot of time and money I could really use some advice on what could be the issue. I don't want to pore gas on it and light it up but that's just about where I'm at. I just want to ride this thing. Please help.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:08 AM
Contributor

Cool

Contact Tom at SYC POWERSPORTS , or Travis at BUGGY DEPOT .They are supporting vendors on this site . You'll see the banners on the home page .
User handles on forum are SYCARMS , and T@BD .
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY
Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Post some pics of the buggy. We need to know what exactly you have.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Lurker

This is the only one I have of it all together. Right now the seats are out skid plates have been cut out. I started to restore it but put a stop to it until I can get spark. If I'm burning it I'm not sinking anymore money or time into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_01.jpg (95.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Not sure if this is the correct one,but hope it helps
https://www.scribd.com/doc/85713878/...-Owners-Manual
I've never used this website just found it today
Spiderbox 150cc,Uni air filter,18 inch glasspack muffler,BD front and rear shocks,BD ball joints,modified frame,a arms,and spindles,1500 yellow spring,12g rollers,with 21x7x10 on the front,23x8x11 on rear,39t sprocket,flex proof axle wth three bearings ,BD reverse kit,ready for more
Old 03-24-2018, 10:25 PM
Lurker

Thanks. That's the wiring diagram I'm going by. I've flipped it, rolled it, stood on my head while patting my stomach and still haven't gotten any spark. I've broken it all down to just ignition wires. No kill wires no lights. Grounded the motor and the harness to the batterie and still nothing. Either I'm an idiot or just dumb not sure witch one yet. If I get spark I'll let you guys know. As of now I'm still lost. A little spark so I can see would be great.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:46 PM
Lurker

The stator has 3 yellow wires, RR has 3 yellow and red, black and green. The dash has a cigarette lighter, speedo, temp gage, horn, light switch and key ignition and an empty spot I'm guessing is where the kill switch probably went. I found a plate riveted to the floor under the passenger seat but it's so worn I can't read it. I thought I saw sahara on it but not so sure now. There is what looks like an 's' but not quite an 's' on the side of the buggy, next to the passenger side. On the side plate. I'll take photos of all of it and post them. Hopefully it might help. If anyone knows what I should be getting for voltage coming out of the 3 stator wires, RR and CDI it might help me figure out if it's because my voltage is not up to par.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Supporting Vendor

Check for power at ign switch which being it turns over you have power but check anyway to be certain what color wire is hot. Then turn the key to on and check for power to ign. I can only tell you is most overlook the ign. switch because the engine turns over but the switch could be bad for not supplying 12v. to the cdi even though it supplies power to the starter solenoid. If no power to ign. at switch then switch is bad, if 12v. is present at the switch follow the wire to the cdi and make sure the cdi has 12v. power if not you have a break in wire from ign. switch to CDI. You mentioned you replaced the CDI, stator and pickup and I assume by RR you are referring to the regulator/rectifier so for now we will assume these are OK. The last thing to check will be the spark plug. If it looks good don't mean it's good. Years ago from tip to electrode there was a solid copper rod about 1/8" diameter however today they only use a fine wire and if a Chinese brand not a major brand the copper will be recycled and much more brittle. If the copper burns through it will not provide spark. So bottom line when checking for spark check wire to ground directly and if using plug to check make sure you have a working plug you definitely know is good. Hope something here helps, keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Lurker

Yes I have 12v going to CDI. Harness is new ignition is new. I actually have 2 ignition switches both new both work. Spark plug coil is new. I've tested all new parts for resistance and all test good. I have not tested the plug. I do have 3 and not one of them had spark.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:35 PM
Lurker

I see a fire big fire In the near future. Anyone for marshmallows.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Lurker

This is the diagram I've been going by. In the diagram it says one of the yellow wires coming from the stator pigtails off and goes to the electric choke then grounded with a resistor. Is that right. I'm confused on how that would even do anything for the choke. Wouldn't that always be sending power to it. If that's the way it needs to be hooked up how important is it for me to just get spark. Not to start it just to get spark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-03-25 21.54.24.jpg (48.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Contributor

The choke on these isn't really a choke. It's a fuel enrichment valve. It has a heating element in it that when cold a passage is open that allows extra fuel in. Voltage is applied and slowly heats up closing the passage off. So yes it does have voltage going to is all the time the key is on.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Supporting Vendor

Let me add to above post. Controlling the voltage to the enrichment valve allows for a slower precise operation of the enrichment valve by controlling the voltage so that the enrichment circuit is not closed off too quickly. This is controlled through the resister.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
This is the diagram I've been going by. In the diagram it says one of the yellow wires coming from the stator pigtails off and goes to the electric choke then grounded with a resistor. Is that right. I'm confused on how that would even do anything for the choke. Wouldn't that always be sending power to it. If that's the way it needs to be hooked up how important is it for me to just get spark. Not to start it just to get spark.
You have 2 plugs coming off the stater, the larger plug has the yellow wires which is the charging side the other 2 pin plug I need to know what color the 2 wires are. Usually you will have a blue with white tracer and a black with red tracer. Some vehicles these 2 wires will be 2 separate bullet connectors.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Lurker

No there's only one plug coming from stator. There's 3 yellow wires on one plug with a yellow pig tail off the plug. Then there's a separate plug for the pickup. Those wires are Blue with white stripe and green with white stripe. There two separate parts I purchased new and installed. Exact match to what was in there. No other wires. With only the 3 yellow wires from stator that's telling me it's a DC fired CDI. Unless I'm wrong about this. I read that on Buggy Depot.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Lurker

Also thank you for the info on the enrichment plug.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:40 PM
Supporting Vendor

Give me a call 662-301 1563, if no answer leave a message I'll get right back to you or if better e-mail <tom@sycpowersports.com> me your # with a good time to call and I'll call you.

TOM
Old 03-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Contributor

Cool

SYCARMS , If things goes well ( probably will ) You're New Handle In My Book will Be ... The Fire Extinguisher !!! Rock On !
MANCO SILVER FOX. Sold
2009 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2002 POLARIS 500 HO SPORTSMAN 4X4
2000 POLARIS MAGNUM 2X4
HALF A DOZEN CHEVY 4X4's
NEED-MO-BUGGY