BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Lurker

Default Hubs???

I need some help could someone point me in the right direction on front hubs for my Yerf Dog 3209. I want to change to this so I can run bigger rims in the front.I just need to know what size of hubs I should use.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

Northern Tool and Equipment Hub # 13828
Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Lurker

thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Contributor

Here is a thread on my Yerf Dog front tire / hub upgrade, hopefully it might help you.

http://buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Lurker

Ok thanks man.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Lurker

One more question this has nothing to do with hubs.I got my heim joints to do the ball joint mod you and Ckau did and I was wondering how did you guys drill a hole in the A arm because it looks to difficult to drill by hand and keeping it straight hahaha.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal559 View Post
One more question this has nothing to do with hubs.I got my heim joints to do the ball joint mod you and Ckau did and I was wondering how did you guys drill a hole in the A arm because it looks to difficult to drill by hand and keeping it straight hahaha.

It is easier than you would think, here is what I did.
First & foremost before you remove the ball joint brackets, scribe the A arm in so you will know exactly where the center of the ball joint would be, this is where you want to drill and weld in your bungs. Then cut off the old brackets and drill your holes, I just used a 1/2" hand held drill & it only took a few moments with each A arm. You will need to drill them at a slight angle and then mock everything up & go check you front end for binding & travel before welding anything. I had intended to use a set of FL350 front shocks on her Yerf, but I didn't have them at the time I was doing the Heim mod, so I just kind of winged it on the angle & it all worked out. I think I ended up with just a shade under 6 full inches of front suspension travel before there was any binding in the heims.

This is a very inexpensive & easy mod IMHO and next to the tires, it was by far the best thing I have done to improve her buggy yet. A big thanks goes out to Ckau for sharing this with all of us.

I hope this helps, & if you have any other questions just ask,
Nick...(Rarerat)
Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Lurker

thanks because I was thinking about taking it and having drill pressed but you answer my question. Im going to buy the same rims you bought and the same hubs.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Ckau has some pic's of his plywood jigs for drilling them on a drill press. Go back thru some of the older posts and find it, if drilling by hand is going to be hard for you.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

A little late but here's those pics. I misplaced them in a strange file and just now found them. The jig and drill press is the easy way unless you a have a good eye and a steady hand. RR has power tool skills.
I choose the drill press route because my bungs are the same dia as the a-arms so it was very important to keep them positioned and hold the angle. The holes through the arms are off center of the tube by the tubing thickness because I did not want to completely cut the tube in half in case there some some tension on the bends that might distort the a-arm shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yerf heims 002.jpg (76.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg yerf heims 003.jpg (67.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg yerf heims 004.jpg (87.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg yerf heims 009.jpg (62.2 KB, 26 views)