BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 07-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Lurker

Default Warn Winch on Carter GTR 250

Showing mounting of my Warn 2000lb winch to the front of the GTR. I had to offset it to clear the brake cylinder. I chisseled off the front plate and welded it to the underside of the front box on the GTR to build up the floor thickness to mount the winch. I then drilled holes through the plate and floor to mount the winch on. I had to adjust the angle that the brake lines enter the brake cylinder to make clearance for the winch body, see pictures. I covered the whole winch with half of the cover to a battery box for a boat. This keeps the chain or other sharp edges from catching on the brake line. I have attached a picture showing how I rerouted the right side brake line. I also trimmed the boot to the brake switch to adjust it to an angle where it enters the brake cyclinder. This can be done to prevent tension on the electrical connection. The wires will need to loosened from the main bus that enters the dash on the GTR. They can then be ziptied to the frame so that they do not catch on the upper body of the winch. The final picture shows how I used some longer machine bolts and some short pieces of pipe to extend the fairlead past the outer front frame. I want to replace this with a roller to extend the life of my rope. After installing this, I realized that I had a pretty good sized opening to the right of the fairlead. A good sized branch could ram through this and puncture the the brake line or damage the brake cylinder. I took a thick piece of leftover 7$ Walmart black plastic garbage can (I had previously used to fashion new front fenders with) and attached it to this opening using zip ties. That way I can easily remove it to service the brake lines. I primed and painted it metallic blue to match the cart. The end result is a nice looking winch, protected within the front end of the GTR!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery box cover.jpg (93.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg top down.jpg (92.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg spacer for chain guide.jpg (94.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg divert brake lines.jpg (91.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg boot for brake switch.jpg (94.5 KB, 26 views)