BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Lite Contributor

Default How do you move brake pedal on Spiderbox?

Has anyone moved their brake pedal to the proper position on their Yerfdog Spiderbox? Thanks, Roger
Old 09-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Are you trying to take the pedal from straddling the frame and moving it towards the center of the buggy? I'm thinking I moved my wife's when I re-angled the seat by adding a block beside the frame rail with a bolt thru both the frame rail and block.It's raining right now or I'd go check!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Brake Pedal Relocation

I would like to move it closer to the gas pedal like on a car. I just would like to know how one would run the linkage to the brake cylinder. Thanks, Roger
Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Heavy Contributor

It's doable, but requires some fab work and relocating the brake master to in between the seats. used the stock rods, left the gas as is and the other to activate the brake master. I did this to gain more leg room and I didn't like the fact the cylinder was in the rear wheel well. I damaged one on a stump! This pic is a proto type so it's kinda rough but it worked so well I left it in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedals 001.jpg (95.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

This was simple- re-angled the seat to get our leg off the frame and this small moving of the pedal did just that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake pedal relocation 2.jpg (43.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Lite Contributor

I want to move it to the center where it is more natural. I like Ckau's idea. I need more pictures of the relocated brake cylinder. Thanks, Roger
Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Heavy Contributor

I used a double cylinder master with the intentions of adding front brakes. never got around to that project. the linkage is crude as it was just cobbled up to see if the concept would work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg biltmore 031.jpg (85.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg biltmore 035.jpg (97.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Lite Contributor

That is a great idea. I've been looking for some ATV fourwheeler spindles with disc brakes to adapt to the front of mine. Will the stock master cylinder displace enough fluid to work all three brakes? Doesn't one of those buggy parts places sell a front brake kit you adapt into you stock master cylinder?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

FYI- The stock Spiderbox master cylinder failed twice on my wife's, I wouldn't use it with a "T", but that's just my opinion. There are many ATV's/buggies that use multiport brake blocks/mastercylinders to feed three locations.
Example: Polaris ATV's,Punishers,Crossfires with reverse,Dune 150's.Putting a master cylinder @ the pedal isn't that hard and you can get brake lines made @ Napa.Don't know of anyone that has the conversion set you want/need. If the spiderbox was heavier I might want front brakes- but I do enjoy sliding the tail around using the brakes!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Lite Contributor

Just found out you have to run two brake cylinders to run front and back brakes. I just got a back brake cylinder from a Kawasaki 600 I was going to put on the back for better braking. Now I think I'm going to use it for the front brakes. I'm thinking about getting a racecar pedal set up and run a real master cylinder for the brakes. Maybe the wheels will actually lock up when you step on the pedal. Not just hope you can stop.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=jetboy300;16773]Just found out you have to run two brake cylinders to run front and back brakes. QUOTE]
Not true- you can hook up a brake distribution block for the fronts when the time comes. The rear master cylinder from a Yamaha 600FZR I installed locks the brakes up too easy!!!!