BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Other tech issues

Other tech issues For all other technical issues. Think frame, suspension, steering, brakes, etc

Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Lurker

Default Helix frame broke on the 90th day!

Just got home a few hours ago and my son pulled up on his helix and handed a piece of the frame that goes between the rear shock mounts behind the seat. Looks like it just cracked and came out! I call the TSC where I bought and informed the manger of the store of the problem. Told him that to day was the 90th day after purchase and that I needed to get it repaired and/or replaced. He said no problem and told me where to take it. He assured me that it would be covered. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had this problem before. The buggy has been great and they have already replace a bad seat when it was a week old with out alot of problems. I will keep this updated as time goes along. Maybe for a change I will have some good luck! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2358.jpg (84.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2359.jpg (86.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2360.jpg (89.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by harperc; 06-11-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Adding pics.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Lurker

Default Helix frame broken

Sorry about the multiable post not sure what I did wrong. Can't find a delete button for the other post. Can someone tell me how and/or a mod delete them. Thanks Chris
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Supporting Vendor

That sure don't look good since the way it cracked indicates fatigued metal. I would push if possible for a replacement. Some years ago Sams Club sold a buggy not sure what brand but it was right after they stopped handeling the yerf dog and they were plauged with the same problem of cracked frames. You can weld it but it will make the already weak meatal weaker. I would talk to the manufacturer of the buggy and express your concerns with them. The proper way for them to handle it would be to replace the frame, which they very well might due and should do. Keep on them to make sure they repair it correctly. TOM
Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Lurker

Default Helix frame

Dropped it off today. They told I would get a new frame or a new buggy. He is going to call them 1st thing monday. He agreed that should have not happened. Will keep you updated when I know more.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Never seen that before. I would want a new buggy and I would be surprised if they didn't give you a new one. It falling apart like that is very odd.

So it just fell out while riding down the trail or something? What were the conditions?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Lurker

Default Helix frame broken

I live on a small 50 ac. farm and my son rides on it. Rolling hills not rough at all. He was lucky because he had been riding for the last two days or so around the farm and he found the bar laying in our yard. Came to me when I was just getting home. Not sure when it broke sometime in the last 3 or 4 days because I looked at it on sunday afternoon. He did not even know it happened because the seat was all the way back and you really could not see it unless you were looking down on it. You know just jump on and go till it needs gas. LOL When the bar came out it fell down on top of the engine and broke the vent line on the top of the motor and then the bar came out. The intake tube was laying on the engine and melted to the engine when I found it. The bar that came out will just set back in place so the frame did not bend after it came out that I can tell just by looking at it. I am hoping they do the right thing and stand behind their workmanship.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Contributor

Just looking at a Helix frame, that is about the last place I would have suspected metal fatique, strange.

Hope they do you right, so far sounds as they are working with you, let's hope it continues to a satisfactory end.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't owned a Helix but that part of the frame get's double strain from the swingarm as well as the cab/roll cage-the flexing in opposite directions from front to rear.Also the seat all the way back banging on it every jarring moment might have helped out too. Does your buggy still have stock shocks? Hope you get it back soon so you can get back to the FUN!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Lurker

Default Update On broken Helix frame

Well should be picking up my sons new Helix Thursday. After dealing with ASW for 5 weeks I had to go back to TSC. TSC is where I bought the Helix at and talked to the manager. The Managers could not believe I was still waiting on ASW and told me they would get me a new one and deal with ASW on the one at the shop.They where great and found me a new helix and had it picked up and taken to the shop that had ours. Talked to Jeff at J&k small engines today. He is going to go over the new Helix for me and make sure it is ready to go. I will post pics of the new one after we pick it up. Just to add a little more info. ASW said they would replace the frame but did not have one and it was going to be a least 2 more months to have one made and shipped. So does that mean the stopped making the Helix ?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Supporting Vendor

Not really most factories make several different models. They make one model called a run than go on to the next model or run. Several industries are doing this today, this keeps less people working steadily, as to many people making all models at once than having to totally shut down production due to too many unsold units ultimately having to lay off workers. It also helps hold down capital expences by not having to expand factories keeping the factory smaller and profitable. TOM
Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Lurker

Default The new Ride

We pick up the new Helix today. Everything looks good and runs great. Heres a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2440.jpg (99.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2441.jpg (99.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperc View Post
Just got home a few hours ago and my son pulled up on his helix and handed a piece of the frame that goes between the rear shock mounts behind the seat. Looks like it just cracked and came out! I call the TSC where I bought and informed the manger of the store of the problem. Told him that to day was the 90th day after purchase and that I needed to get it repaired and/or replaced. He said no problem and told me where to take it. He assured me that it would be covered. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had this problem before. The buggy has been great and they have already replace a bad seat when it was a week old with out alot of problems. I will keep this updated as time goes along. Maybe for a change I will have some good luck! LOL
thats how mine started...i have the same model..mine is about to break in half ...its holdin by one bar under the seat..it has now dropped to the ground and the rear tires are turning..i need a frame...do u know where i can get one?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Lurker

Default Frame

lucky for me mine was covered under warr. ASW does not have any frames at this time. It was going to be 2-3 months to get one. I had them replace mine with a complete new buggy. I would post in the wanted /for sale that you need one and maybe you will get lucky. Good Luck.