BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Heavy Contributor

Default Inexpensive Reverse gearbox setup for GY6 150cc buggies

reverse gearbox, anti rotation bracket and shifter...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEAR-BOX-TRA...ht_3137wt_1163
Two different cable sizes...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverse-Gear...#ht_967wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-Reverse-C...ht_3102wt_1163

Shaft...
this one does not have the length... it has to be about 8"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150cc-GY6-DR...#ht_991wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outer-Shaft-...ht_3954wt_1163

I see some of these sets going for upwards of 300 bucks, that kinda price is crazy to me... If you have taken apart a reverse gearbox you can see how simple they are.

Just the reverse gearbox... http://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-150cc-Re...ht_4246wt_1163

Just the reverse lever and anti gearbox rotation.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/REVERSE-LEVE...#ht_2422wt_958

My bro and I plan on installing this setup on his Spiderbox, I'll post pics once we get started, maybe in the next week.
All this is about a 3-4 hour install if you have the right tools.

Last edited by T3beatz; 02-21-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM

Only the last 2 links worked for me.

I'll be waiting to see how your Bro's Yerf turns out.

If all goes well, I may take a stab at it. Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Heavy Contributor

Thanks Xlint89, just fixed them, I just copied past from the other thread and it had the dots in it.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Contributor

What size is that sprocket? What chain does it take?
Wonder why the price point is all over the place on these. It looks like they are all made the same.

Then all your problems look like nails.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Heavy Contributor

the sprocket is 16T, it takes the #530 or #50 industrial I would think (It would be best to check with the seller to be sure) but most of these reverse gearboxes for the gy6 150's use the 530/#50 chains.

I was wondering the same thing about the price points, I guess it just comes down to the seller and how many they import... If you have seen one of these things in person you will know what i'm talking about, they are very simple. There are just a few components on the insides, the gearbox is not held together by itself, you can pull it apart to lube it up if you want. The only thing that holds the gearbox together is the bolt on the shaft. If you look at one of the pics in the link with just the gearbox, you can see it sitting there and it looks like its split,
second pic down in this link http://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-150cc-Re...ht_4246wt_1163
you can also see the zip-tie holding it together.

people who try to charge 250+ dollars for this are just getting over on the consumer, you can call it supply and demand, I call it not doing your research.

the buggy depot kit is back-ordered, and they don't show pics of it so you don't know what you are getting, even the instructions don't show the reverse box. I'd at lest like to see what I'm getting.
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.

Last edited by T3beatz; 02-22-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Contributor

I get leary when I see no returns

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Contributor

Appears to be all the same auctions I purchased for my setup. I have it installed but have not tested it yet since I'm still working on some frame adjustments. I'll post my feedback once I get to use it a little but everything looks good so far. I'm looking forward to not having to jump out to move the buggy manually. BD's kit was way to much but I could stomach this.

Later
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Contributor

What length outer shaft did you get?

Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Contributor

197mm
Old 02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonsperf View Post
I get leary when I see no returns
the only one that has no return is on one of the Reverse cables (the lowest price, longer one)... but you are still covered under ebay buyer protection. I don't see how you can go wrong there. I need to measure mine to see how long it is.

Soapkart, Do you have some pictures of your setup you can post?
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Contributor

Not yet. I have the new shaft installed and the gear box slid on but I haven't installed the cable or brackets yet as the swing arm is currently disconnected while I work on the frame. Is there something specific you would like to see? Here are a couple pics I found online of a BD kit install.

http://buggynews.com/yerfdog-knowledge-t14530-20.html
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

Thanks soapkart, no there was nothing specific, just curious to see how your buggy is coming along, I take it your installing the reverse on the blue one??

I'll post a couple of my reverse setup later.

The BD reverse from that link looks pretty good, the funny thing is you will either get that one, or one like what I posted above... either way it's still a little overpriced if you asked me, I think they should knock about 100 bucks off the top.

Last edited by T3beatz; 02-22-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Contributor

Yep, it's going on the blue one. I'm going to put it through the ringer and if it holds up I might get a setup for the red one also once the funds are available. The last couple weeks have been hectic so I haven't made much progress on the buggy. It's starting to calm down so hopefully I will make some progress on it in the coming week.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Contributor

Well I got my reverse box and shifter today from ebay. I managed to swap my short shaft for a long one on Totalruckus.com. Now all I need is a cable.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Contributor

Just an update. You will need to get a axle nut 16m x 1.5 the cable cannot have the additional metal hex tube on the shifter end. It won't go through the end of the shifter. This is the second cable listed in the first post.
The small brace bolts to one threaded hole next to the fan housing. It is recommended to make a second brace to double up from the back of the fan housing location to the bottom of the case. These cases are prone to cracking.
Lastly, there is no included way to attach the cable to the shifter arm. The cable has a steel ball swedged on the end of the cable. I need a source for the cable to arm adapter.
Make sure to lube the cable internally before install!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Heavy Contributor

I guess the second cable posted would be better, because it has a longer tube to go into the sifter.

I have the single brace on my reverse gearbox and it has been fine through some hard riding, but you can find the double ones in certain places, or like you said just fab up one for more insurance.

For my cable, I used the housing that was with the reverse setup, but the cable broke, so I swaped the cable with a tandem bike cable and on the end that goes through the shifter I cut the end off and used a rc airplane wheel collar with a screw to secure it.

I'm sure you can probably slit the hole so that the cable line can slide through and if the ball is big enough it shouldn't slip back through the hole??
Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Contributor

That tube that is welded to the shifter has a big coil spring inside it. I got no issues cutting it off but need to find an adapter to hold the ball end of the cable to the shift arm.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Heavy Contributor

That's what I'm saying if the ball does not fit through the hole on the bottom of the sift arm that's good...

Put a slit in it somewhere so just the cable will fit (kind off like how the other side mounts to the gearbox). That should hold it in place, and if you have a welder you can tack the slit closed if your afraid it will slip back out.

Or if the hole is too big and the ball will just slip right through it, find a washer, or something like it, that the ball will not squeeze through, put a slit in it...
once you feed the ball through the hole on the shifter, slide the washer (that is slit) through the cable. Now the ball will not pass back through the shifter, you can tack weld, tape, or jb weld the washer in place so that it doesn't move.

I have a dremel with a cut-off disk, and that Is what I use to make small slits like what I'm talking about.

here are a couple pics of my setup. The shifter that I use is old, you push forward instead of pulling back to go into reverse. I don't like it too much but it works for now, I plan on getting one of the ones from the kit pretty soon. If you look at the first pic you can see the tab I welded on to hold the cable adjuster part in place, I just drilled a hole big enough for it to fit through and slit it with the dremel. The cable is held on to the shifter by a wheel collar like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Airplane-...#ht_738wt_1396

T.J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3604.jpg (95.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3603.jpg (98.1 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by T3beatz; 03-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Power User

lyons, all you need is a little piece of 1/2 or 3/4 rod stock, drill and cut off wheel .... about 1/2 down the page are the pics. took about an hour or two to make.
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2773
Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Heavy Contributor

Ohh yeah, I forgot about x-birds fix... that's another way to do it!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Contributor

Azusa makes this part
clevis2366.jpg

Its only .68 each.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Heavy Contributor

well, there ya go! you got a link to the part?

Never mind found it... http://www.azusaeng.com/brk_thrttl/cntrlfttngs.html

Last edited by T3beatz; 03-26-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: found my answer
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Contributor

BMI sells it

Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Contributor

OK. Heres the latest deal with the external reverse. In order to use the blue handled shifter with this unit you will need the top listed cable
The lower cable does not have enough throw to engage the reverse.
Unfortunately the ebay seller is sold out and no one else has this cable listed.
If anyone has a source for this cable please let me know.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Heavy Contributor

you can just unravel the sheathing off of the cable to make the line inside longer, check Xbirds link in post #19 he had to do it. I'd rather get one that has the cable line to short and have to unravel it then get one where the cable line is too long. (for the most part if it's slightly long all you have to do is adjust the screws for fine tuning).

here are a couple links to some cables that might fit...

http://www.chineseatvonline.com/gear...t-p-12850.html

http://www.chineseatvonline.com/gear...s-p-12849.html

Last edited by T3beatz; 04-07-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Contributor

Hey T3beatz;

How is the reverse gear box holding up? I was curious how far off your alignment was on your reverse gear and axle. I was installing everything back into my freshly painted swing arm and noticed mine was quite a bit off. Just curious how much you had to adjust yours in.

Later;

Will
Old 05-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Contributor

Another question for you. Did you leave the stock spacer on the drive shaft along with the new spacer that came with the reverse box? It looks like you would have to if you wanted to come close to the stock position for the gears to line up. I was not initially just because it reduces the amount of spline inserted into the gear box but it looks like you will need to for everything to line up and function correctly.

Thanks;
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yep you have to leave the stock spacer on the shaft, also I had to space my sprocket with a couple washers to get it lined up properly.

I just got one of the reverse gearboxes I posted for my brother and we will be installing it today, if his shaft comes in.

Last edited by T3beatz; 05-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Contributor

Thanks for confirming. I'm starting to see the end to the blue/orange project. All I have left to fab up is the shock mounts for the lower a-arm and get everything put back together.

Hope you get the shaft today (That's what she said). That's my bad joke for the day. Have a good one.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Heavy Contributor

LOL, it wasn't to bad! Yeah, I hope it comes in so we can get it all put together. The hardest part is breaking down the engine to get the output shaft in place. Other than that is simple stuff. What front shocks are you going to go with for your buggy?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Contributor

I picked up a couple extra sets of the SC shocks when I purchased them for the red buggy so I will run those to start but based on what I'm seeing on the red buggy I know I will be replacing them before long. I like what you've posted so far on your new shocks so I will be paying attention to see how those work out for you.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Lurker

Where did you get the shifter you're using for reverse? I didn't see any mention of that. e-brake from a car?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Heavy Contributor

it came with the reverse gearbox... but you can buy it separately http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverse-Leve...ht_2457wt_1166
Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Lurker

Thanks. I guess my search terms weren't working because I couldn't find one when I searched ebay.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Anyone think this might be a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone on the Yerf Dogs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-AXLE-AT...5f7d4e&vxp=mtr

Reverse and a new axle?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Contributor

First off its only 28" wide. Secondly, they have a bad rep for stripping out the gears and replacement parts are hard to find if not impossible.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing... It's to short.

By the way, we got the reverse kit installed on my brothers buggy. It worked out great but he didn't buy a reverse cabel so we had to fab something up temporarily. It also seems as if they are out of the set, with the reverse gearbox, shifter, and bracket. I guess you'll have to peace everything together, it might be a little more expensive but it could be done. Maybe they will come back in stock soon.

We got it all done for about $150, $114 for the gearbox and parts, $20 bucks for the shaft, and about 10 bucks for the cable from a bike shop, and a few bucks for miscellaneous stuff like screws and bolts. He is gonna replace the cable with one of the ones for 20 bucks on ebay soon. doesn't matter if the inside cable is a little short because you can unravel the sheathing like X-bird did.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 PM

What the Hell kind of tape measure is that then? I thought is was reading almost 71"

Oh well, thought it may have been a viable option for both. Thanks guys
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing... It's to short.

By the way, we got the reverse kit installed on my brothers buggy. It worked out great but he didn't buy a reverse cabel so we had to fab something up temporarily. It also seems as if they are out of the set, with the reverse gearbox, shifter, and bracket. I guess you'll have to peace everything together, it might be a little more expensive but it could be done. Maybe they will come back in stock soon.

We got it all done for about $150, $114 for the gearbox and parts, $20 bucks for the shaft, and about 10 bucks for the cable from a bike shop, and a few bucks for miscellaneous stuff like screws and bolts. He is gonna replace the cable with one of the ones for 20 bucks on ebay soon. doesn't matter if the inside cable is a little short because you can unravel the sheathing like X-bird did.
Yeah, I found the pieces seperate. Not a whole lot of difference in price though. Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
What the Hell kind of tape measure is that then? I thought is was reading almost 71"

Oh well, thought it may have been a viable option for both. Thanks guys
First time I really looked hard at the tape- you have a point as I see 71"-72" total length. I'd ask the seller if his 28" statement is correct or the pic of the tape measured axle is. I messed with a REDCAT axle very similar to this one and it didn't look durable enough for us- Getting parts for that axle set-up would be my next question.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

Price just went up $1,020.........
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Heavy Contributor

LOL, I'm sure that's a typo.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoapKart View Post
Another question for you. Did you leave the stock spacer on the drive shaft along with the new spacer that came with the reverse box? It looks like you would have to if you wanted to come close to the stock position for the gears to line up. I was not initially just because it reduces the amount of spline inserted into the gear box but it looks like you will need to for everything to line up and function correctly.

Thanks;
What have you guys done to remedy this problem?

The splines aren't long enough for them to slip into the reverse gearbox in order to keep the stock sprocket location.

Did you guys have to space the axle sprocket on the hub?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Contributor

I didn't have this issue because my gy6 didn't come with a spacer and I am using a 1-1/4" axle with keyed sprocket so its adjustable. I just added the two gold spacers that came in the kit. It was just enought to keep the two housings from touching. I also changed out the drive axle with a longer unit I got from a guy on TotalRukus.com.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
What have you guys done to remedy this problem?

The splines aren't long enough for them to slip into the reverse gearbox in order to keep the stock sprocket location.

Did you guys have to space the axle sprocket on the hub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
Yep you have to leave the stock spacer on the shaft, also I had to space my sprocket with a couple washers to get it lined up properly.

Sorry, just re-read your post. Thanks