BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Lurker

Default question re. Baja buggy @ Pep Boys

I've been looking at a lot of buggies, and so far not many of them are comfortable because of my size. Anyhow, one I checked out was a new Baja Dune Reaction 250cc buggy at Pep Boys. It was listed at $2500, plus a $70 'dealer startup fee' (which is probably BS).
I liked the roominess of the cabin area, but (other than not having mudflaps) there was something about the engine that bothered me. It not only looked small, but it had a sticker on the top that said "10 hp"........
Anyone have experience with or knowledge of this seeming anomaly?!

And/or anyone familiar with this buggy otherwise!?

Tools of my trade

==========================================
Hope is not a strategy. Change is not a destination. A "strategy" of "change" is looking disastrous!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Lite Contributor

I just recently bought a buggy after months of research.I have to say i have heard that baja was one to stay away from for quailty issues.I have to admit i looks bad a**.Most of the 250's claim 10-14hp.Think about this.Bad customer service,your buying from pepboy,ask them when it brakes can i count on you?I say this because i asked.I'm no expert,I listened to alot of people when i made my choice(and i ended up with a yerf,go figure talk about issues).However, a yerf might have issues,but is was a big brand at one time and this is how i look at it.1)it was inexpensive2)it has it issues bad axle and weak front suspension,no reverse,but after fixing those problems still under $1300.3)quailty motor.4)Big cabin lots of leg room.I'm 6'2 and it great,granted i only have one leg,but even with my peg leg on it still roomy.Not to steer you from what you like,but to go dump $2500-$2700 on a buggy with no support I dont think i could do that.My advice and take it for what its worth,find a nice used one for half the cost and go from there(then you have a bunch of money left for improvements),stick to the big brands and make sure parts and support are there.This may sound strange,but go for the one with the "wow factor".What i mean by this is,everytime you look at it you think WOW! that thing is sweet.Alright hope this helps sorry to go on a rant.
redneck intake
125 jet
16.5x6.5x8 fronts
21x11x10 holeshots on itp's
coming soon 10g roller 1500rpm spring

Last edited by atc250rboy; 02-15-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Heavy Contributor

i love my tomberline punisher
hauls me and my wife fine
i am 5'9 she is 5'6'
stock mine put out 10.2 ish hp
with my mods i figure 14hp or more
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Heavy Contributor

10 hp is about right for the horsepower rating of a stock gy6,150. The Baja is not a bad buggy for the price You get what you pay for. You can spend more and geta little more quality but the baja is not bad. The rate of component failure in the baja is about the same as with most of the major brands out there. Most all are made from about the same quality range parts
What really makes the difference, not the quality of the buggy itself, but rather the dealer and factory support!. That's where that initial extra cost of some of the major brands goes to. Most of the complaints are not about the baja buggy itself, Rather it's the crappy "after the sell" attitude that Pepboys takes in regards to warranty issues. Biggest problem is sloppy assembly by Pepboys, IE. lose nuts/bolts, things not set up and adjusted properly. A lot of warranty issues have been caused by sloppy prep work. Complain to Pepboys? they tell you they only sell them,you will need to contact Baja for warranty issues. Baja tells you it is not a factory defect but improper assembly and go talk to the seller/ dealer. Not an uncommon scenario. In the long run' the extra expense is worth it to deal with a dedicated buggy dealer, not someone who does this as a sideline.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Administrator

You sure that is the 250? As mentioned, the 150 is about 10hp. If you get by there again, take a pic of the engine compartment. I will say that the baja reaction 150 we had took a beating and kept on going. It was one of the uglier machines but man did that thing take abuse. Maybe we got a "good" one or something. I have not personally dealt with pep boys on their stuff but I would be looking for a used one. The value on these thing drops like a brick in water. I say take advantage of that and let someone else take the hit.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Contributor

Cyber I found a 2007 Carter 250cc in Destin for $1500 850-460-6136 don't know if this helps or not. A Roketta GKa 250cc with 18g sliders, clutch upgrade, exhaust upgrade and stereo. This one looks roomy in Ocala 352-732-8457 These are both on craigslist the carter has no pic, but the Roketta does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU

Last edited by EJ Mac; 02-19-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Lurker

What Criagslist area is Destin in EJ?
I've found a few around Valdosta and Dothan, in addition to the Tally area, but the few that were 250cc and I felt like I fit into are in such rough shape I decided against buying them.
I am seriously considering starting out with a one-seater (opens up 150cc units to consideration, plus it's easier to find them under 60" wide) and getting a two-seater after I familiarize myself with them, IF I can get the wife to go along.
I'm not much of a repair guy. Took a long time to figure out enough about ATVs to be a competent evaluator of value and condition. So it's gonna take a while with buggies.....
Thanks for the help and advice fellas.

Tools of my trade

Hope is not a strategy. Change is not a destination. A "strategy" of "change" is looking disastrous!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
You sure that is the 250? As mentioned, the 150 is about 10hp. If you get by there again, take a pic of the engine compartment. I will say that the baja reaction 150 we had took a beating and kept on going. It was one of the uglier machines but man did that thing take abuse. Maybe we got a "good" one or something. I have not personally dealt with pep boys on their stuff but I would be looking for a used one. The value on these thing drops like a brick in water. I say take advantage of that and let someone else take the hit.
Yep, I'm sure. It was a Reaction 250. I thought it was a 150 at first because the engine looked small. It's why I was surprised that not only did the engine say 250cc but the sticker under that said 10hp!?!

Tools of my trade

Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Contributor

I think it was Okaloosa Fl.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Lurker

baja indeed has the reaction 250... the reaction 150 only comes in black, the reaction 250 in red... there is also a newer version of the Dune 150, but they discontinued it (red 150 version of that 250 buggy you saw), and reverted back to the older dune 150 style resembling the punisher and crossfires of tomberlin.

The reaction 250 was a CF moto 250 i believe, water cooled, solid rear axle, with high and low gear if I remember correctly... I had issues with customer support,, raised heck in their main office, and then got ZERO cooperation when I inquired about the 250 buggy in the 150 frame... It is cheap, but you get exactly what you pay for...

I like the idea, the 250 ina 150 frame, but they picked the wrong 150 frame...it should be in the Dune 150 frame or the punisher frame... they would handle it.

John
Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Lurker

I got one for Christmas. I've ridden it for approximately 2 hours and it developed a squeal in the back somewhere. I called Baja and they told me to get ahold of their service rep. Well, that was in January, he supposedly replaced the broken part then discovered that the reverse cable was to short, it shifted like crap but I just thought that was part of the fun. Anyway, because of a shift cable my buggy is still in the shop. At least we've had much more snow than usual for the month of February so I don't miss it as much as I would have if it had been nice. My buddy down the lane has the 150 version and he's also had issues.
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but if I were to buy a buggy it would not be a Baja. Now Joiner is out of business and I don't know what I'd buy!!
Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Contributor

Joyner will be back according to David Zhao the director of the factory in China. Don't hesitate to buy a Joyner all parts are still readily available from the factory in China.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Contributor

i haven't had much to compare to but i paid $2,200 (which is high for avg.) for my 250ss hammerhead but i have had ZERO issues with it and it goes where i point it, parts are available and mods are available. i paid more than most have for the same buggy but in northeast ohio there are slim pickins on a decent buggy. but as the saying goes....you get what you pay for.
DR. PULLEY VARIATOR
RED MAIN
17g ROLLERS
12T/45T SPROCKETS
IRIDIUM PLUG
HP CDI & COIL
LED LIGHTS

ASW CARBIDE
UNI
12g SLIDERS
RED MAIN
39T SPROCKET (coming soon)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Donk, I think I would be even madder if there was a bunch of snow. That's one of my favorite times to ride!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Lurker

More snow in the forecast for tonight, still no buggy. Would have loved the opportunity, know as a kid I enjoyed empty parking lots!! We were learning how to react.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Lurker

If I had the cash, i would buy that baja reaction 250, and then remove the rear swingarm and attach it to my Dune 150!!! lol... It would be expensive, but a perfect swap, direct bolt up!!! They used the 150 swingarma nd mounts for that 250, and just added their own little odds and ends to make the 250 fit in there!!!

If I wanted a 250 bad, it would be a joyner, but a used one... NEVER a new one... I couldnt afford one new~! hahahaha

John
Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemybuick View Post
If I had the cash, i would buy that baja reaction 250, and then remove the rear swingarm and attach it to my Dune 150!!! lol... It would be expensive, but a perfect swap, direct bolt up!!! They used the 150 swingarma nd mounts for that 250, and just added their own little odds and ends to make the 250 fit in there!!!

If I wanted a 250 bad, it would be a joyner, but a used one... NEVER a new one... I couldnt afford one new~! hahahaha

John
I don't know about that there have been alot of them going cheap and there is a new one on ebay for $2950 obo and another chap you and I know bought one from the same seller and got it shipped from Phoenix to Milwaukee for $500.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Lite Contributor

cyber, you could try AA Motorsports in Miami 305-223-2041. They carry Hammerhead and Carter karts. There is also a large dealer in the Tampa area but I can't remember their name.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpman View Post
cyber, There is also a large dealer in the Tampa area but I can't remember their name.
BLADE, Stewart Taft, national distributor for blades. good man.