BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Lite Contributor

Default What do you guys think about this buggy, worth the money?

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...ducts_id/14463
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Lurker

Looks like alot of buggy for the money!!! Has anybody driven one of these?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Contributor

Thats the yama buggy. Supposed to be good. Bad gearing. No up grades except carb and exhaust.

I would'nt buy anything from them. Do a bbb search
Old 07-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Lite Contributor

It's not a Yama Buggy, looks like one, but not. After looking at a few vids of the Yama Buggy they look badass, top speed of about 70mph. 400 CC Yamaha motor. Fron what I saw, i don't understand why you would say bad gearing. Maybe the one from power sports has bad gearing. Look a the Yama buggy video, it's tearing thru the sand dunes..... Needless to say the Yama buggy is pushing $6000, almost twice the price of the one I linked to.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Contributor

SunL is putting out a 250cc yamabuggy in which apparently the gear ratio is totally off and makes it have trouble getting out of its own way. Also as Chuck said powersportsmax is a poor establishment with the BBB reputation to back this statement. The 400cc Yamabuggies are nice although I don't know how well the SunL version is compared to the Hammerhead Tiburon version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Lurker

The Yama Buggy 400A looks pretty wild. 387cc 27hp. 5sp. 71+ mph. It's sold from Go Carts USA for $5449.00 I don't know alot about these but it looks like alot of cart for the money! Hope the suspension is well built, would hate to hit some deep ruts at about 65 mph.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Contributor

It is a yamabuggy that has a new owner in sunl. It is not a tiburon which is the real yamabuggy. I say it's got tall gears because I've talked with 3-4 people who run them. In fact I got a guy with a basicly stock Dazon who could'nt mod his way out of a wet bag. That Dazon out climbed this very buggy on a slight hill. When a stock cn 250 out pulls you then you have gearing issues.

Dont believe everything you see on youtube. You watch Daves vids on the kinroad 300 when it was new and he was tearing up everything. Then we get to TurkeyBay and the slightly modded 300 got out done by a slightly modded kinroad 150.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Contributor

The 400 aint running 70 either. We ran with one at Prentice cooper. They run good but the 250's were right there and 300 could probly out run it up top
Old 07-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartjet52 View Post
It's not a Yama Buggy, looks like one, but not. After looking at a few vids of the Yama Buggy they look badass, top speed of about 70mph. 400 CC Yamaha motor. Fron what I saw, i don't understand why you would say bad gearing. Maybe the one from power sports has bad gearing. Look a the Yama buggy video, it's tearing thru the sand dunes..... Needless to say the Yama buggy is pushing $6000, almost twice the price of the one I linked to.
If you already know the answers, why ask the questions? And if you beleive advertising hype, throwing sand, and going 70mph, then you will probably be well suited with it. I suggest you go buy one, maybe 2.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Heavy Contributor

if you like -test drive one
take a portable gps with you
check mph
have someone meet you with a 250
or stout 150 and run with them
you may be happy or not
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 AM
Lite Contributor

Apparently it wasn't worth $3999.95 because they dropped the price...lol The setup looks great, but not sure I would fork out $3499.95 plus tax for it, if they let you test drive it then it's prob worth it but if they say no test driving sorry... RUN!
Bore*stroke : 2.3*2.3 inches
Tires,front/rear : 19*7-8/22*11-10
Old 07-12-2010, 02:27 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliff View Post
If you already know the answers, why ask the questions? And if you beleive advertising hype, throwing sand, and going 70mph, then you will probably be well suited with it. I suggest you go buy one, maybe 2.
Ok, i'll make this simple for you. The one I linked to and the Yama Buggy 400 are completely different.....Cannont be compared. May as well call a Fiero a Ferrari. Hell yeah, i'd take the Yama buggy 400 for $3500 anyday of the week (make that 2). I was asking about the cheap ass one Power sports max is selling.

I just wanted to know if anyone had experience or knew someone that may have owned/tested/borrowed....whatever with the one I linked to.

So far, no one on this board has any knowledge of the $3500 buggy power sports is selling.

Didn't really plan on buying one. Just curious how a cheap full size 250cc buggy does (hills, top speed, slow crawling, etc....) I can't imagine them being fast at all.

Does anyone here have a real video of a 250 buggy in action?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcplayer76 View Post
Apparently it wasn't worth $3999.95 because they dropped the price...lol The setup looks great, but not sure I would fork out $3499.95 plus tax for it, if they let you test drive it then it's prob worth it but if they say no test driving sorry... RUN!

I agree, the set up looks awesome. It'd be great to see one being tested. And you're right, no test drive-no buy.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Contributor

Your right buddy. None of us have a clue what were talking about. Go buy one and teach us something.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Contributor

//http://gokartsusa.com/yamaha400buggyfreeshippingcalifornialegal.aspx

Funny how it looks just like a yama buggy
Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Contributor

http://gokartsusa.com/yamaha400buggy...rnialegal.aspx

Maybe that will work
Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
You're right, it's just "like" a Yama buggy.......But not. You're slowly getting this. Keep on replying and you'll eventually be right.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Contributor

No it is. It's made in the same factory, same parts, same motor, same little asian doing the welding. Sunl, which is basicly Roketa, either bought a bunch of over stock like the usualy do, or bought the rights which I doubt. Now in the case of the rokets Joyner knock off, thats not a joyner. Why, because it aint built by Joyner. This how ever is made in the same place.

Blade looks just like a kinroad. Why? Because it's a kinroad that was bought in bulk by Blade. A few things are changed and the blade logo added. It's still a Kinroad.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Contributor

He's just needlin' ya ChuckO. Let him go.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Contributor

I like to go back and forth. Aint you seen me with manco. Passes the time between threads brother. Truth is it dont matter to me what they call it, build it, or sale it.

But you should'nt ask openions then say no one knows anything. When some of us have been around them, know others that have been around them, and know someone that owns one. Let alone spent a weekend ridining with one in Tn
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Contributor

well to start with the yamabuggy still has some legal issues, sunl, roketa and the like have started importing their clone version. the real yamabuggy isnt bad, if you can find parts now. any of the above mentioned DROP SHIPPERS dont have a clue to what one looks like other than a picture, they will give you no service and no part support.

the 250 version just plain out sucks, the sunl/roketa version is ok but dont expect any help with parts, yamaha wont touch it, aftermarket parts are not to be had. I have been in this bussiness along time and have watched these things from the beginning, it hasent gotten much better for that yama what ever.

and dont beleive daves video og the kinroad 300, it has a cfmoto engine in the proto type,
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Contributor

I would think any big bear up grades would work on the motor. Gears can be cut. Heads ported. Theres plenty that can be done to it. To me the concern is in things like a-arms and cv axles. That goofy dual stearing rack. Things of that nature. Things that would take a great deal of research to find another common ride to take from.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Administrator

If they're powered by the joint venture Yamaha engine, I call them a Yamabuggy. We did have the 400 version that HammerHead put out called the Tiburon. We didn't keep it long. I'm not sure how the relationship works between Yamaha and the joint venture China team but my guess is they just allow them to use the design of the engines. One is the big bear 400 and the other I think is the beartracker for the 250. The design is fine but the problem is the same problem with a lot of the "bad" china machines: the build materials. The output shafts leaked horribly on ours. The starter was full of water where it had bad seals and it had a very poor cooling system just by the nature of it's design (little air flow to engine). THE worst part though was getting parts. For the buggy that the original poster is looking at, that would be the most major turn off. It's not like a good ol' 150 GY6 or CN250 where the parts are plentiful (thus keep a good balance on the supply and demand scale and keeping the prices reasonable). Instead, you pay good money since a lot of times you are always required to go to limited places for availability.

Our 400 did 58 MPH at top speed. I suspect the 250 to go about 40mph or so.

I will say though that rowing through the gears was a lot of fun and it was nice to have the best of both worlds for gear selection.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
If they're powered by the joint venture Yamaha engine, I call them a Yamabuggy. We did have the 400 version that HammerHead put out called the Tiburon. We didn't keep it long. I'm not sure how the relationship works between Yamaha and the joint venture China team but my guess is they just allow them to use the design of the engines. One is the big bear 400 and the other I think is the beartracker for the 250. The design is fine but the problem is the same problem with a lot of the "bad" china machines: the build materials. The output shafts leaked horribly on ours. The starter was full of water where it had bad seals and it had a very poor cooling system just by the nature of it's design (little air flow to engine). THE worst part though was getting parts. For the buggy that the original poster is looking at, that would be the most major turn off. It's not like a good ol' 150 GY6 or CN250 where the parts are plentiful (thus keep a good balance on the supply and demand scale and keeping the prices reasonable). Instead, you pay good money since a lot of times you are always required to go to limited places for availability.

Our 400 did 58 MPH at top speed. I suspect the 250 to go about 40mph or so.

I will say though that rowing through the gears was a lot of fun and it was nice to have the best of both worlds for gear selection.
Thanks, this was the info I was looking for!

What do you think about the Yerf Dog go carts/buggies, built well, good brand/company? I've been eyeballin' a few of those, also noticed they're made in the US.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Contributor

yerf dog hasent been in business four about 5 years, they are a good cart but do need some up grades to the front suspention
Old 07-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Ya the yerfs weak spot is in the front spindle area. They are powered by the Howhit GY6 which I personally think is a fantastic engine but their gearing is more trail oriented so you don't have nearly the same top speed you would with most of the other buggies.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Lite Contributor

Yeah, i'd like to find a couple of Spider boxes. Looks like most of the Yerfs are in the Atlanta area.

I'm shopping for two 150/250cc buggies on about a $4000 budget. New or used.

I live in Myrtle Beach SC, i'm not having much luck around here.

I did find a Kinroad 250 locally (new/dealer).... Any experience with this brand?

I went thru the buggy reviews you have, they're great, helps out alot in weeding out the crap.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator

there's a spiderbox in charlotte today for $300 on craigslist
Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Lite Contributor

Thanks, I took a look,

Looks like it may need a little work. Too bad it's not local, i'd check it out.

What's the price range for a complete-needs no work Yerf dog spider box?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 AM
Contributor

Well they go for up to a grand but I would say 500 would be my top. When I search CG I look under go cart, go kart, and buggy. So far I've picked up a crossfire 150, my dads kinroad 150, hh250, and a Joyner 250 for less than 4000 total. It's a crap shoot man. I can look for 3 months and find a bunch of 3000 buck used ones and then you finaly find that 250 for 700 bucks.

Kinroad is a good buggy.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Lurker

Location: State college PA but also have a house on a farm in Hershey Pa,

Even roketa has a copy of the yamabuggy.400cc and everything.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Lite Contributor

i have the 250 your talking about it runs strong some prblems muffler fell off 3rd day riding wheels need to be tightend with cotter pin im 6 2 270lbs with my son and his buggy fishtails easly with both ofus on it i got mine for 2215 delrvered to my door that one is 200 cheeper i just bought a stx 400 yamabuggy waiting on delevrey payed 4399 for it 1000 cheaper then gokarts usa