BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Lite Contributor

Default Quantum/Carbide Mods?

Hey guys,
Let me start by saying that I am new to this site and new to this whole Buggy stuff. I live in Newfoundland, Canada & I have a Quantum/Carbide 7150(150cc) on the way and was wondering if anyone can help me out.

I have been doing a bit of research the last couple of days about what mods would be the best ones for the Quantum/Carbide. It seem like the UNI Air Filter is the first thing everyone goes for. I been looking online for a place where I could get one, but can't find it. Can someone give me a link to where I can buy a UNI Air Filter? Thanks.

What other mods would be easy to do to get a bit more power? I'm not going to be doing any major engine mods. The terrain I will be riding will be old flat train track railbed and woods roads which is a bit hilly. Hope that helps.

Thanks in Advance

Jamie
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Heavy Contributor

welcome to the group
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Heavy Contributor

most stuff from the states
carries a tax
add uni filter jets
new rollers in varitor
open exhaust for better air flow
30mm cv pumper carb
uni filter no rev cdi
polaris xlt snowmobile shocks for front
w/550 magnum springs & blaster fronts on rear
and another buggy built working on mods gk-13
white spring 17 gram sliders so far
Old 08-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthan View Post
most stuff from the states
carries a tax
add uni filter jets
new rollers in varitor
open exhaust for better air flow
Thanks for the info. I plan of doing the UNI Filter and Jets, will probable do some clutch upgrades as well. The problem I'm having is I can't find anywhere to buy it. Was hoping that someone could give me a website where I can buy it, Preferably Canada but I will buy from the States if I have to. Thanks

Jamie
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Lite Contributor

Just a bit more info about what I'm looking for. I'm looking for mostly bottom end, don't really care about top end but don't want to lose to much top end.

I have been reading a nice bit about these sliders thing, it seem to be the way to go to get more bottom end. What weight would be the best.? And, Where could I get them? Thanks in Advance.

Jamie
Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Email or call Tom at SYC Powersports. I think he can ship to Canada. (see banner at top of this page).

Remember when you do these mods that it is a give and take relationship. Add more to the bottom end and you will be taking away from the top end.

UNI is a definate power increase across the board. We did a lot of testing with mods in the Track Attack section and the UNI was a consisent gain across the board. Just be SURE to handle the jetting so you don't run too lean.

Exhaust seems to open them up some as well. A lot of people will put on a HammerHead exhaust system as it seems to me they are a factory performance style exhaust. We used an FMF universal muffler and loved it. It runs about $120 though.

The best bang for the bucks are in the UNI and the clutch mods (variator sliders and rear main clutch spring). Relatively cheap mods and they can be felt instantly.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
Email or call Tom at SYC Powersports. I think he can ship to Canada. (see banner at top of this page).

Remember when you do these mods that it is a give and take relationship. Add more to the bottom end and you will be taking away from the top end.

UNI is a definate power increase across the board. We did a lot of testing with mods in the Track Attack section and the UNI was a consisent gain across the board. Just be SURE to handle the jetting so you don't run too lean.

Exhaust seems to open them up some as well. A lot of people will put on a HammerHead exhaust system as it seems to me they are a factory performance style exhaust. We used an FMF universal muffler and loved it. It runs about $120 though.

The best bang for the bucks are in the UNI and the clutch mods (variator sliders and rear main clutch spring). Relatively cheap mods and they can be felt instantly.
Thanks for all the info, it helped me out a nice bit.

I got my Quantum today, put it all together, doubled and tripled checked everthing. Everything is perfect, I just have one question. The assembly instructions says that the engine oil is already added, but when I checked it, there was just enough oil to touch the tip of the dip stick. There is no marks on the dipstick to show where the oil level should be, just a few criss cross lines. So, How can I tell if there is enough oil in the engine.
Thanks in Advance

Jamie
Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

The cross-hatching is your high and low level on the dip stick. Make sure you change the factory oil after your break-in period.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
The cross-hatching is your high and low level on the dip stick. Make sure you change the factory oil after your break-in period.
Thanks. I guess my oil level is a bit to low, it wasn't touching the cross-hatching area. Or is it surspose to be like that for the 5 hour break-in period?

Jamie
Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

You need the oil to always stay in the cross-hatched area-Yes add some oil even during your break-in.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Lite Contributor

Hey guys,
Will I have my new UNI filter installed and rejeted the carb with a 125 jet. Just wondering will I be safe with a 125 Jet. I havn't had a chance to test it out let, I'm hoping that it will make a difference with take off.

BTW, I went for a ride this weekend past and I saw 51mph on the speedo. I know that the speedo isnt a true reading, how much is the speedo actually off?

What would you guys recomend for my next mod? I noticed when I was riding this weekend pass that I would slow down a lot when going up hill. I mostly ride on old railways & wood roads that can be a bit hilly at time. What can I do so I won't lose so much speed going up hill.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 09-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Lurker

hi ,
can you let me know your VIN number?