BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Contributor

thanks again for your guidance ol' wise one. that what i have on now, but havnt had a chance to test yet.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Heavy Contributor

hey Jetasen74, I love the pics you have of your go kart, it looks good. How long did it take you to do the front ARMS?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Contributor

thanks, it took me about a week and a half to do the hole front, but the a-arms were done in about 3 days brackets and all maybe 4 to 6 hours a day.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Contributor

hi kids,
my pc barfed up it's power supply the other night.
r&r'd it just now and back in biz.
havent touched the ydog; master links are still in the envelope.
maybe tomorrow.
happy thanksgiving you guys
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Contributor

thought ya forgot about us.lol. happy t-day
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Power User

happy turkey day Mike, Jet and everyone else ...finished baking the pies, mashed taters tomorrow and over to my sister's. Eye doc says the garage is off limits for a few days ...
Old 11-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Contributor

how many guys can see the only thing they could find to solve a problem is a hunk of blown up bearing?
i used the hub/inner race of one of the jshaft bearings as a sprocket hub spacer.
it's the only thing i could find of the correct size.
took ol' boris out for a drive.
cruised around the yard a while then got brave and went out on the road.
made 3900 rpm on level ground.
new shocks are delightful.
old clanking still undelightful, however.
got braver and cut into a piece of land i won't mention but is all raw and real steep hills.
had me some fun, went down to the bottom of the gnarliest hill around here.
10 feet up the throttle cable pulled outta the retainer on the carb.
reached back and used my hand.
the bouncing caused me to turn the choke on about every 15 seconds getting back up the hill, stalling it out.
took me 10 minutes to sputter my way up.
we've learned some things:
carry a damn screwdriver.
turf saver tires suck in uphill mud.
my belt's a little too loose.
i'm wearing some deercrap so the front fenders need to go on.
don't test-touch the cvt after you realize the belt's too loose bc it's HOT!!!
the 8 tooth sprocket did indeed help out quite a bit; i'm satisfied with the gearing now.
the ydog is a bit too small for me and i'm not gonna spend any more money on it.

but i will install the suspension bushings and whatever else i already bought first and enjoy it some then i believe i'll put it up for sale and perhaps start building the sandrail up as a reverse trike with license plates.

so...for sale!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Power User

" the ydog is a bit too small for me and i'm not gonna spend any more money on it."

Wise decision grasshoppa!

If you're interested, maybe we can swing a deal with the Kawasaki engine? Trim the weight of the VW stuff off front and rear and that frame of yours would make a nice, light woods buggy. The red front frame piece on it retails for $350 new btw. I have the head gaskets and seal for the kawa coming next week, going to set it up on a test stand and get it running so I can maybe sell it prior to christmas ...

Next spring-summer (when i'm "flush" $s) I'd like to have 2 yerfs, one near stock for the 'lil one and one for the wife and i that'll be powered by my brothers 9hp subie and will have been treated to a widening and pedal extension. I'm actually liking a lot about the 3202/03 platform as a base for an adult size buggy. Figured out my tubing cuts and runs to make it happen pretty easily without piling on a ton of weight last night.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Contributor

sure, if you take monopoly money!
realistically, i won't build squat and will sell the rail tubeframe, etc when someone wants it.
if i do build it, it'll get a spare 600 yamaha.
there's a fella in VA selling a subie 6.5 kart motor for 40 bucks right now on CL, btw.
that's silly cheap.

i wasn't pleased to realize my HF clone's carb was dumping fuel outta the bowl vent after i opened the petcock today.
lost at least a quart.
after only an hour's total run time and letting it use up all the fuel in the bowl to shut down every time i'm less impressed w/ chinamotor quality.
a rap on the bowl unstuck the needle but that's kinda irritating this soon from new.
on the flip side, the engine keeps running at ridiculous tilt angles (i was almost vertical today; maybe 85 degrees up) and stays very cool even after several minutes at WOT/load.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Contributor

today we ground some of the old bearing race/sprocket spacer off to fix cvt pulley misalignment i had courtesy of that spacer being too thick.
cvt runs much cooler now, even after it slipping pretty hard getting to the top of the mondo hill; still need to add a bit of tension.
had it wide open 5 minutes each way to my super hilly test area of doom.
saw 4140 rpm; that's about as fast as i want to go in this thing though it behaved quite well at "speed".
also rigged an extra throttle return spring as the stocker let it hang up a little above idle.
was all happy about finding a longer (for the new spring) correct-threaded throttle cable retainer screw in my holley parts only to snap it off running it in because apparently it wasn't right despite my (apparently no longer) calibrated eyeball.
grrr.
pulled the throttle plate and stole the unused one.

worked the suspension hard enough for the first time to dent in the gas tank when it compressed; still need to move that up top.
today we brought the tool kit along but, naturally, didnt need it.
ya only need it whens ya donts gots it.
saw lots of nice deer and a fox, nothing broke, didn't get stuck, didn't get hurt.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Heavy Contributor

good job, hopefully it stays running right for ya.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Contributor

it's a chinese motor.
what could go wrong??
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Power User

ahem .... can you say .... jinxxed!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Contributor

if it wasnt for bad luck i'd have none at all
Old 12-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Contributor

today boris got a dashboard made from a dead vcr case with a cereal-box prize digital watch and the tach mounted w/ the Vulcan's primary contribution to human society, velcro.
it's much less obtrusive in life than in the pics.
i used a spade connector for the tach wire in case of outside storage to make it removeable.
i'll cut up a soda bottle to make a mud shield.
also ziptied on an old digital compass i had around so's i can find my way home.

sadly, the tach doesn't like, presumably, the added resistance from the connector and/or the extra wire and it's reading ~1000 rpm low up top.
i'll try soldering the connections and see if it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0226.jpg (86.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0228.jpg (86.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0227.jpg (88.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0229.jpg (86.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Contributor

santa was kind this year thanks to my sweetie.
we have some new 22" knobbies mounted on 4x110's steels (oem spiderbox stock), alloy hub adapters for said wheels, a carb inlet adapter to attach ze Ram Air (4), a 7" driven pulley, a wireless digital bike speedo/computer, some 10" alloys from a yamaha w/ nice 22" knobbies on them for the kawi quad front end, a spare new rear axle, and an led bicycle headlite for evening use.
so, i'm keepin the cart awhile!

hope yous fellers had a merry xmassikawanzativus.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedshopmike View Post
a carb inlet adapter to attach ze Ram Air (4),.
Are you sure you don't want me to hook you up with a forged rod 389 with trips???

PM'd you re; parts ...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Contributor

in zis case ze RA4 refers to i'm gonna use four q-jets.
do you think that'll be enough flow??
pm repliedified
Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Contributor

ps: truman spins his cast-rod 400's 8 grand through the lights!:ee k:
Old 12-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
sadly, the tach doesn't like, presumably, the added resistance from the connector and/or the extra wire and it's reading ~1000 rpm low up top.
i'll try soldering the connections and see if it helps.
It's probably the extra wire, I had the same exact one. Ran perfect on the motor when I had it on the street kart, put it on the Yerf and had to extend the wire to reach the plug wire, never read right. This was on the same exact motor on the street kart.

Took it off, removed the extra wire and connected it to the plug wire holding the tach in hand, perfect again.

Ended up just saying my son doesn't need a tach on the Yerf. One more thing to distract him from having his eyes on the trail. With the electric start motor it's governed anyway so not worrying about him doing any ridiculous RPM's.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Contributor

ya get what ya pay for...it'll work fine on my 2 stroke minichop if soldering and ditching the spades doesnt help, but i think it will
Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Power User

Quote:
ps: truman spins his cast-rod 400's 8 grand through the lights!:ee k:
I'm sure he has a stockpile and doesn't really mind if one goes bang! 6 grand with the SD worries me .... sometimes ...

I've got the same tach coming my way, maybe a heavier gauge wire might do the trick? I'll have to do some experimenting.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Lite Contributor

I tried heavier gauge wire on mine, no change

Think it is just somehow calibrated for the resistance of the included wire and hates anything else

Go ahead and try it yourself though, maybe it was just mine being too picky
Old 12-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Contributor

jim, he had his first rod failure only a few years ago.
it's insane; cast rods ain't sposed to survive such horrors.
i'm close with chuck roberts who co-wrote the "gto resto guide" years back.
he ran the machine shop i used for all the speedshop engine builds over the years...i used to spin my 455's up well past 6 grand but nowhere near 8k.
i only spun one rod bearing in all that time myself and i know it was past 7k when it went because my '73's factory tach was real slow and it said 6500 when it went "SCREEEEEECH".
chuck swears it's all in the bearing crush.

anyway, i used heavier wire to extend my tach from the get-go...will report on any positive change.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Power User

RE; the tach. I recall reading someone's yerf website with information about mounting a Tiny tach ... they ordered one with an extra-length wire. I think it must have a specific resistance value per foot wire type that has to be changed based on the length. Likely the same as the resistor wires in the ignition systems of cars from the 60s-70s. I may call tiny tach and find out if they can supply some.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Lite Contributor

It could also just be that Tiny Tach makes a better product then the no name chinese product I am running
Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Contributor

jim, i remember seeing the same post about a tach w/ a long wire.
joe, i'm sure the name brand is > than my 12 dorrar ebay speciar; as always in life, you get what you pay for
Old 12-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Power User

honestly, for the little bit of circuitry there is to these, i doubt there's much difference at all but price. I have tiny tachs on a couple of my deck mowers, never looked at the end of the wire to see if its glass fiber wrapped or has a specific type of core beyond plain copper wire. I'm sure they do.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Contributor

i'd imagine the better ones, like the Microns for example, have stronger op-amps on the inductive signal input side and probably better noise filtering
Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Contributor

the new swag and i finally dragged the quad front end inside after sitting out for many years; the track is surprisingly close to the ydog spec.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0244.jpg (90.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0245.jpg (88.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0246.jpg (85.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0247.jpg (96.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0249.jpg (88.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0255.jpg (85.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0256.jpg (88.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Contributor

here's a preview of what's to happen.
i should be able to drive up a pickup truck afterwards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0257.jpg (87.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Power User

One up, one down .....
I really like those new front tires. That's the tread I'll upgrade mine to when i wear the ones i have out. I take it you're going to keep the quad center frame section? if you do you're going to want to get it more forward to get some tire clearance. Sure will save a lot of improvising mounting points.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Contributor

i went for the fronts on ebay bc i liked the tread as well.
i was thinking it'd work well with the big camber shift of the oem setup plus they're on 6 inch alloys and really really light.
at 31 bucks for the pair i was happy to gamble and use only the wheels if the tires sucked.
i guess i'll mount the other fresh turfsaver tires on the wide wheels the quad's wearing now for alternate/road use.
the plan is to split the atv front end down the middle and widen it to where the arm pivots are equidistant to my rack outputs.
i'm torn on that though as i wanna be able to get between trees and such...wider bad for that but good for everything else.....
eventually it'll use the hydraulic discs up front but they'll get removed for now; after years of being open i'm sure the calis need a rebuild.
the yamaha wheels appear to be 4+2 so i can play with net track width a little by reversing them.
i'm surprised at the height difference 'tween the rear oem 20's and the new 22's.
my tape wasnt handy so i didnt measure but one of the two sidewalls ain't telling the truth.
for 50 clams/per the rears from bmi were a nice deal; the rubber's soft and fresh as new; i couldnt find decent tires alone that cheap.
i feel confident my prior lack of offroad hookage will be cured.
re: the front end use:
kawi did a proper engineering job on it.
through it's entire range of travel without shocks installed (idk how much travel but it's very plentyish) there's almost no bumpsteer or camber change. everything is quite beefy and it's quiet and tight.
it'll be an easy adaptation; i'll be adding only a little wheelbase for tire clearance because plan to cut the front frame corners off and plate in what's left.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Power User

New meat at $31 for the pair on alloy rims??? Nice!
As far as front width goes, I'm way out there at 53" but i get through the trees better than before because of how tight i can cut it. Going that wide pretty much eliminated any roll over issues, with the exception of something drastic like sliding sideways into a rut at 20 or more. I think your idea of splitting it may be the one you want, you'll gain some track width but keep the fabrication down to just frame attachment and steering. Getting the atv arms on the shark has been pretty difficult even with the mount tabs welded to angle iron stock. The uppers are kind of welded to thin air and the shock mounts need a hot air balloon to attach to.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

I'm impressed with your improvements/mod's. This is a great go kart/buggy, very plentiful, tremendous leg room- fast (30+mph) with a descent ride for the money. I've been hunting for this video for a while since I saw jetasen74, speedshopmike & x-bird's builds on this particular buggy & so anyone with this Yerfdog model could visually understand the chassis & what occurs over slightly rough terrain. Pay close attention @ 15 seconds!!Watch the floor pan @ the seat area- Remember this is a kid- maybe 90-110 lbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NQW7...eature=related

Last edited by metalstudman1; 01-17-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Contributor

i saw that vid too....frame flex isnt necessarily a bad thing.
i wouldn't want my mustang doing that but it's reasonable for this type of light duty play vehicle.
if it didn't flex it'd just crack everywhere instead.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Heavy Contributor

was the frame actually flexing in that video? are did it just seem as if it was? kinda like an allusion..
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

I felt the flexing & twisting on our's, just couldn't see it or pin-point it till I saw this video by accident!!! Flex is important-to a point, these karts/buggies have smaller tubing than most. That vid was just for informations sake- when making modifications you may be improving this condition or adding to it!!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Contributor

i'm planning on adding a longitudinal rail to each side and that's pretty much it.
if/when it gets the 400cc honda twin it'll need to be very significantly beefed up
Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Power User

When i first got mine, i came across that same one and saw that part of it. (I must have watched a couple hundred yerf & go kart videos the first week I got it.) The frame definitely does flex in the video, but the front and rear suspension movement along with the cart's shadow dropping into the little gulley makes it look a lot worse than it actually is. When i was considering the kawasaki, my plan was to mount it to a full length rectangular box made of my 2x2 tubing and weld the entire yerf sans rear on top of that. I know i flex the living bejeepers out of mine, since i widened it, i was getting it to lift the inside rear wheel (jacking) while doing donuts. The rear frame piece i cut out and used in my daughter's had a nice curve upwards on the right side.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Contributor

funny, i did the same video/info hunt when i got mine.
OCD + funemployment is neato
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Contributor

Spring is springing early in these parts so ima try to get all the new bits mounted up in the next week, less the kawi front end stuff.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Contributor

hi kids.
long time no see.
ive done nothing to the Ydog but mount up the 7" driven and Slime the leaky back tire.
but, ive managed to put nearly 4 hours on the cart total.
the latest couple were on relatively long runs to retrieve a buncha tadpoles from an unfortunate location before they expired - each run used a full tank of gas round trip.
anyone want some tadpoles to raise?
i'm quite overstocked now.
anyway, nothing fell off the cart and it got where it needed to go, clanking it's ass off but without troubles.
i did get it stuck in mud; next mod will be hanging those new rear tires and chicken wiring a crap deflector/windshield; prickerbushe in your face at 30 aint fun.
out on my very very tight trail it was surprisingly nimble.
i'm audi 5000 till next time i have something worthwhile accomplished.
keep yer faces outta the mud.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Power User

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthem...terlyrics.html