BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Kandi GKA-250 log

Well as you all might know, I ended up selling my spiderbox and picked up a kandi 250cc.

(the way I sold it)

Untitled by adcoste1320, on Flickr

The buggy hasn't been started for a while so I decided to replace some parts to get it going. Replaced the carb, fuel petcock, fuel lines, and spark plug. I also upgraded to a UNI filter and a 125 main jet.

20140601_174959 by adcoste1320, on Flickr

20140601_175042 by adcoste1320, on Flickr

20140601_175107 by adcoste1320, on Flickr

I had a issue where the buggy wouldn't go in forward and it would bog when giving gas. I saw that the oil was overfilled and I decided to change it. Started right up and everything was perfect!

Another issue I came upon was that low end torque was lacking. It would make it uphill with only me in it but it would struggle. With 2 people, it wont make it up hills. I know that the buggy is on the heavier side (800lbs est.) but I would think the 250cc should be able to pull it up. I am a little disappointed seeing that my yerf dog with basic mods and a sprocket change was able to go up steep hills with 2 people without any issues. It might be a possible worn/broken clutch or some other issue. Will find out when i open the cvt next week.

To hopefully remedy the problem, I bought some more aftermarket parts.
-Kelvar belt
-Dr. Pulley 15g slider weights
-Adjustable CDI
-Blue spring

IMG_20140618_205913 by adcoste1320, on Flickr

Also looking into getting a high performance exhaust, but I don't want to pay $300 and ending up needing to modify it since I can't find any that bolts up to this specific buggy. Whats usually the restriction with these? The muffler or piping? Or both? Is it safe to use a straight pipe with these engines? I had an idea of using a bigger pipe with a small car muffler.

Last edited by andrew1320; 06-26-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:31 PM

800#, thats a big buggy!!! I like it though! That Yerf was looking pretty good too, I'm leaning to maybe getting one in the future to mod up!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:38 PM

U might have been better off keeping the yerf because its probally alot lighter then that one but I dont think its 800 pounds should still b under that

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

Blade Single Seater Restore
welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Power User

I agree with jmans, that should be in the high 500-mid 600 pound range. It too a lot of big steel to push mine up into the 800s.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
800#, thats a big buggy!!! I like it though! That Yerf was looking pretty good too, I'm leaning to maybe getting one in the future to mod up!
Ya I liked the yerf but I wanted more power and better braking/handling. If you are to get a yerf dog I would suggest knowing how to weld or having a welder because it will need a lot of strengthening to prevent things from breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
U might have been better off keeping the yerf because its probally alot lighter then that one but I dont think its 800 pounds should still b under that
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
I agree with jmans, that should be in the high 500-mid 600 pound range. It too a lot of big steel to push mine up into the 800s.
Only reason I decided to get rid of the yerf because it lacked a lot of things that this buggy has (independent suspension, reverse, 4 caliper disc brakes, ebrake, etc).

The website shows it weighs 750lbs. A lot of the weight comes from the rear. That independent suspension is really bulky! I would still think it should be able to make it up hills without struggling... Think it takeoff feels kinda sluggish then it catches and the thing catches speed fast!

http://www.kandiusa.com/product_veh.php?id=15

Also decided to use a tractor battery since the small batteries always die.

20140627_185435 by adcoste1320, on Flickr
Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 AM

the kandi will obviously have more power then the 150cc yerf dog but the weight difference is huge against the yerf don't get me wrong the yerf needs a lot of work right from the start to get it trail worthy, they way u had ur yerf setup I bet would beat ur kandi from a dead stop till about 300 feet then the kandi will start reeling it in and pass it so its give and take. I wish u luck with the new buggy and yes the extra features are def nice to have with the kandi over the yerf.

Aluminum fuel tank, aluminum wheels, custom fuel/cargo rack, entire rewire, trail tech vapor, ported big valve head, a12camshaft, 12 gram sliders, straight intake, kirkey wide seat, front end extension. 4 point harness, welded cage. Hammerhead exhaust.

welded cage, engine build, new wiring harness/electric box, spun aluminum fuel tank.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansracerocket View Post
the kandi will obviously have more power then the 150cc yerf dog but the weight difference is huge against the yerf don't get me wrong the yerf needs a lot of work right from the start to get it trail worthy, they way u had ur yerf setup I bet would beat ur kandi from a dead stop till about 300 feet then the kandi will start reeling it in and pass it so its give and take. I wish u luck with the new buggy and yes the extra features are def nice to have with the kandi over the yerf.

The Yerf had a lot of bottom end grunt because I had a sprocket that's used for reverse but without the reverse. It had a low top speed. I know this buggy should have the power to pull up hills even though it is heavy. Can't wait to open the cvt to see whats going on.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Lite Contributor

Well I sold the kandi buggy. It was a good buggy but it lacked one thing... POWER. I think it would be good for a flat-racing but for big hills it seems to lack that punch. It went better with the mods, but still too slow for me. It was dead even performance wise with my brothers Trailmaster 150cc.

I think this buggy would have been perfect if it just had more power. It's probably one of the better-looking and handling buggies I've had so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCzu...ature=youtu.be

Was able to make it up the rock after the mods but with only me in it. My yerf dog was able to make it up there with 2 people.

Some pics before I sold it

20140725_190409 by adcoste1320, on Flickr

20140725_190341 by adcoste1320, on Flickr

And my favorite

14558981747_f3bec5c265_o by adcoste1320, on Flickr
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

wow that was fast (no pun intended) what did you own it for 3 months? xD

Well let us know what you get next
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 PM

lol told u u where better off with the yerf

Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Lite Contributor

ya kinda miss my yerfy :\

but fear not! New project Needs some TLC but it's all there.

20140806_182740 by adcoste1320, on Flickr

I love the short wheel base and turning radius. It's just what I need for the trails I ride.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 AM

Ya the carbide is awesome.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 PM

I love the body style of the carbide

Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Heavy Contributor

Always a cool kart, and I like the paint job too! Doesn't look like it's had THAT hard of a life, those seats aren't even faded!
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Lite Contributor

ya the paint job isn't that bad except he painted over everything! (brakes, lines, shocks, boots, etc)
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Heavy Contributor

Aw! I hate it when people half-ass a paint job like that...
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!