BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Lurker

Default Carter

can I find out what year my Carter is? I have a vin #.
thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Administrator

The 10th character of the vin will dictate the year model.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Lurker

Default just to clarify

If my vin # is say? 1abcd95v93b334570,

The year would be 2003?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Administrator

yes. The older ones don't have a full rack on them and usually have a bench style seat in them. Probably says 125 on the front nose badge.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
yes. The older ones don't have a full rack on them and usually have a bench style seat in them. Probably says 125 on the front nose badge.
reason i ask is i was told i had a 2005 Carter with the serial # i gave. I just changed a few of the digits but left the middle intact. If you look at the image i posted in the introduction page you'll see what i mean.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Oh ya, that's a very early one and I would say correct for 2003. It's what they were making prior to going to the standard china style buggies. I'd actually like to have one of those to see how they are.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Oh ya, that's a very early one and I would say correct for 2003. It's what they were making prior to going to the standard china style buggies. I'd actually like to have one of those to see how they are.
So it's not a 2005?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

They may have purchased it in 2005 but that is a 2003 model machine. Not that uncommon to buy them new a few years after manufacturing. In 2005 they were making the china style machines.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Lurker

Quote:
They may have purchased it in 2005 but that is a 2003 model machine. Not that uncommon to buy them new a few years after manufacturing. In 2005 they were making the china style machines.
Thanks for the explanation.

Frank
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Lurker

Default starting with this

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg
Old 02-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Lurker

it needs a lot so if any one has upgraded I'll buy your stock parts!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Supporting Vendor

What all does it need? TOM
Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWC View Post
it needs a lot so if any one has upgraded I'll buy your stock parts!

If you don't mind me asking, How much did yo pay for that buggy?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Lurker

A little trading and I'm in it about 250.00
Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
What all does it need? TOM
Lets see the clutch is out mia, battery,brake cable, throtle cable, trans cable,
and thats just so I can see if it will start.It's been setting a year or so , carb kit. Can you belive it's an 05!!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Supporting Vendor

I should have all you need i stock. Give me a call @ 662-301-1563 TOM
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Lurker

Quote:
A little trading and I'm in it about 250.00
That's not too bad, You might be better off just buying a new engine and installing it instead of buying pieces and finding out it won't run.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Lurker

I was thinking the same thing. There is alot of stuff, cables and such I'm going to need anyway.I'll stick a battery and a new switch (lost key) and see how well it turns over. Then maybe I can talk Tom into some kind of discount for a large order.lol
What about long travel sus. does any one do this or is there not enough power to worry about it?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Administrator

RoySheepDog is currently doing a conversion on his buggy putting better suspension. Maybe he'll chime in on what he's learned.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Supporting Vendor

Default Carter

Instead of replacing the switch run a series of sealed toggles, these will last a lifetime over the stock switch. To check that the engine turns over just oull the right side fan cover and turn the fan clockwise, this will tell you if the engine will turn over and also give you an idea of what kinda compression you have. The gy6 is a pretty bullit proof engine. If you need rings it would be cheaper to replace than buy a new engine. The money you would spend on an engine you could use for mods. Spend $400.00 on a new engine with shipping and all you have is a stock engine. If you are unsure or just have questions feel free to give me a call. TOM
Old 02-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Instead of replacing the switch run a series of sealed toggles, these will last a lifetime over the stock switch. To check that the engine turns over just oull the right side fan cover and turn the fan clockwise, this will tell you if the engine will turn over and also give you an idea of what kinda compression you have. The gy6 is a pretty bullit proof engine. If you need rings it would be cheaper to replace than buy a new engine. The money you would spend on an engine you could use for mods. Spend $400.00 on a new engine with shipping and all you have is a stock engine. If you are unsure or just have questions feel free to give me a call. TOM
Tom you right. In my infinite wisdom , i was taking the easy way out. You do have a point about the Mods.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Are you thinking a toggle and a push button start? Or a three way like a off run start?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

On my karts I use a double pole toggle( on/off) for the ignition and accy's with a momentaty toggle for the start, but you can also use a push button switch. My switches are the sealed type. If you get the good ones you will pay about $17.00 each. Autozone has then for a fraction of the cost but they don't last and when you have to replace them you will come out ahead using the more expensive one. I get mine from either Summit or Jegs. I had even had some from Napa and Carquest and although they lasted longer than the Autozone ones they are still not the quality as the Summit or Jegs. TOM
Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Lurker

Quote:
On my karts I use a double pole toggle( on/off) for the ignition and accy's with a momentaty toggle for the start, but you can also use a push button switch. My switches are the sealed type. If you get the good ones you will pay about $17.00 each. Autozone has then for a fraction of the cost but they don't last and when you have to replace them you will come out ahead using the more expensive one. I get mine from either Summit or Jegs. I had even had some from Napa and Carquest and although they lasted longer than the Autozone ones they are still not the quality as the Summit or Jegs. TOM
SYCARMS, i'm in the process of rewiring my Carter XTV, can you post a picture of your set up so i can get a general idea, also if it's not too much trouble are the wiring the same way as you would take it off the ignition (3 wire) = (3 wires to toggle switch) ?

Frank

Last edited by BlackScorpion; 02-09-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:27 AM
Heavy Contributor

converting to switches is a good idea unless you have some sort of security issues. The napa switches are pricey and not weather proof. First mud bath shorted them out. Went to a marine duty rated switches to solve the moisture problem. A single pole/single throw switch arms the ignition, a momentary switch engages the starter. Tip: Use an ignition switch with a large handle that can be used with gloves on. I machined a bright red 2" extension for the toggle so I could find it and swipe it off fast and easy. Mount it close to the steering wheel within easy reach from the driver seat so it can be switched off in an emergency. This can save a motor after going upside down. You would be surprised how much you get disorientated while hanging upside down after a flip
Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Supporting Vendor

I did not worry about security issues when converting mine due to the fact of anyone I knew who had an atv or buggy stolen, the vehicles were usually pushed and loaded into a pick up or trailer.However I did install a hidden switch cutting the ignition to avoil unauthorized startups. The best security is to chain or cable lock the vehicle to a solid object. TOM
Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Contributor

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. There is alot of stuff, cables and such I'm going to need anyway.I'll stick a battery and a new switch (lost key) and see how well it turns over. Then maybe I can talk Tom into some kind of discount for a large order.lol
What about long travel sus. does any one do this or is there not enough power to worry about it?
i think the buggy has enough power and speed and it will make it ride and drive better.
for the long travel stuff your going to have to do a lot of fab work becouse the stock a-arm mounts are to close to the wheel.the stock a-arms are just to short to get any real travel.if you move the a-arms to the front of the buggy and make them longer then you can get more travel.a lot things will determine the travel a-arm ,shock,mounting point of the shock but you will have to build it or buy some long travel arms for a utv.but you have to make a place to put it.

this is what im doing to mine and its the same buggy you have.
http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK
Old 11-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Lurker

2003 and i haVE 1 what a piece of---- over priced and underpowered brand new no hours 22 mph via a gps no service avaible no one would touch (its chinese) finally scrapped the motor put a harbor frieght 11 hp on it (runs great 3000 hours on it)