BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 10-18-2020, 12:18 PM
Lurker

Default Converting headlights for ac to dc

Hey guys. So the current headlights I have on my gk110 run off of the ac side of the rectifier. It there a way to run dc lights off of the rectifier I have now? It’s a 4 blade rectifier. I measured the voltage coming off of the red wire on the rectifier and it showed 14 dc volts. Can I tie into that wire to run the headlights?
Old 11-04-2020, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Just disconnect the headlights from the standard harness and wire a switch off the power on lead from the ignition switch. You would want to physically replace the headlights with a cheap set of dc lights from Walmart or similar.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:34 PM
Supporting Vendor

The lights are already DC volt. The only thing that uses AC is the pickup and CDI.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:40 PM
Administrator

I had one years ago that seemed to run direct off the stator. Got brighter with RPM. Was horrible. Changed the setup to run off battery and all was well. I’m thinking it may have been a crossfire.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:17 AM
Supporting Vendor

The 4 pole stator does not produce enough current at idle which is why your lights brighten on throttle. Like the old cars with generators. an 8 pole or larger stator will solve that problem since they will produce more power to lights at idle. You can also solve this problem by connecting lights directly to battery but at idle you will be discharging battery at idle since the lights will be drawing about 70W of power the stator cannot keep up with that rate. Now if upgrading stator you will loose HP since the stator will produce additional load on engine. Best solution and cheaper is to convert lights to LED and then wire off battery. They pull very little power to operate.