BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Heavy Contributor

Default Wondering about seat belts (crash stories welcome)

I'm back again!

And I was just eyeing some seat belts for once I get this reverse finished up and I have my eye on cam locks, but they are either gonna be 4 or 5 point. What's the major difference other than the submarine strap? Does it really help that much if the buggy flips over; because if the seatbelt is properly set-up (like a car's) it should rest ON my lap, not my stomach and therefore if I flipped, it would (SHOULD) still hold me in my seat. Now a 5 point, would be a guaranteed hold in the seat...here are the two I'm looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-2-SH...2e9b6f&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-DIY-BLUE-...c0dbec&vxp=mtr
Heavy Duty Chain Tensioner
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

Hm... found this thread. I think I will go with the 5s

http://buggymasters.com/forum/showth...ighlight=crash
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:41 AM
Heavy Contributor

For what it's worth. I totally rolled my buggy last weekend, prompting me to replace the stock 5 point belts with some real belts from a racing supplier. Also gone will be my helmet, to be replaced by a quality one and some riding gear as the shorts and tee and no gloves added hugely to me bleeding on everything. The stock belts did their job, dont get me wrong.. Steering wheel bent like a pretzel mashing my bare knuckles into the aluminum dash I built.
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Lurker

I bought some out of date 5 pt RCI harnesses cheap off ebay ($20 each). They are fine for the cart.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Heavy Contributor

Wish I could find some of the out of date/expired belts that cheap; it seems everybody knows they're worth a bit more to us enthusiasts now!

I'm not looking at them NOW but I am researching ahead just a bit Thanks for bringing that up, wild bob! I was gonna go look at some real gear! I've got some nice gloves that'll do (football gloves, they are completely surrounded in grippy and thick silicone) and I'll look around for some riding jackets/pants. I'd like to get a full face helmet, but as of now, I've only got this half face from a year back and I don't feel like it'll offer much more protection than my Bell Faction bike helmet, but it IS DOT rated, so I'm wearing it. I just despise how it looks; if I had a full face I'd feel better, but I feel like if my head were smashed in on a rock if I rolled, it'd look a LOT worse than that helmet!

On a side note, a year or two back I went to a racing camp at the local arcade/gokart (street karts) place called Andrettis. Lotta fun, but this (was it Nascar? IDK) racing driver came (his name is Spencer Pumpelly) and autographed pretty much all of our helmets, and I'm kinda mad mine is autographed because now someone will look at my helmet if it's hanging somewhere and (I'm sure) grab it now and examine the autograph later... Although, nothing involving his autograph has ever been sold on eBay... greaaaat....
Canvas Roof/Netting
Key Start
LED Brake Lights
Headlights

SOLD!

Last edited by TheFauxFox; 07-09-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM

I don"t know if that guy is famous or what but I have never heard of him. maybe he is some kind of racing I don"t keep up with.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:29 PM

4 point harnesses have a tendency to allow the belts to be positioned incorrectly(too high on the torso) and that will cause more harm in an accident. The 5 point belts are pretty cheap and great for what we do. The 5th(anti submarine belt) keeps the belts in place and also keeps yer keister in the seat even in a front end collision. Out of date RCI or comparable belts good, be leery of the 'import' belt kits, as they have a conventional seat belt buckle and the top straps are just looped to go over the lap belt ends. IMO, the cam locks might give trouble if in the mud and such, but to each their own.

Invest in a dirt bike helmet and goggles. The goggles are good for using tear aways to keep your lens clean. They also breathe so much better than a conventional full face.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 07-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Lurker

He races the American LeMans & Grand-Am/Rolex series.

http://www.spencerpumpelly.com/
Old 07-09-2014, 03:37 PM

thanks J another mystery solved lol