BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Lurker

Default gx200 clone troubles. i need help

i have a brand new gx200 clone engine. when i got it it started up first start with barely any effort. it runs off regular gas and everything, completely stock.
i looked on youtube for videos on how to get the govner out and i got it out perfectly fine and plugged the holes. i dint mess with anything else. the cam is on dot to dot.

now it wont start and blows smoke out of the muffler and carb and backfires out of the muffler and carb. i just pout new gas in it. i have no idea why its doing this.

im very good with small engines especially flatheads. but i have never worked with a OHV engine so im not totally sure on these.

thanks, robert

heres the link for my youtube page with vids of it and what happens: http://www.youtube.com/user/robizthe****

Last edited by robbymosca; 08-29-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Hey, robby. When you took the cam out or more importantly put it back in, did you get your pushrods in correct? I can tell you from experience that generally speaking if your lifters/pushrod assemblies dropped out, they rarely go in correctly from the bottom easily. What I usually wind up doing is pulling the valve cover off (just a few simple bolts), taking the rocker arms off, putting the cam/lifters in, then finally put the pushrods in properly from the top. Set your lash to about .003.

I have a feeling what's going on is your push rods came out of their slot. Pull that valve cover off and turn it over. You should see the valve action move smoothly. Video it if you have to so we can see.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Lurker

yeah i put the push rods in correct. i took the valve cover off and lined them up, i didnt set the valve lash b/c i dont have a tool for that but i assumed it would be fine, i didnt take the rocker arms off or anything.

but theres one thing about this engine, maybe its like really fake or something but it didnt have the oil sensor that they should have. and im not totally sure but i think when i took the side cover off the dots werent even lined up, its hard to explain on here but i dont think the cam is in rite.
and i did put it dot to dot. ill check it
Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator

you'll need to verify the cam again. Some of them don't have the oil sensor.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Lurker

oh haha. yeah ill check on that dot to dot thing and the valves but it should run.
i also think i little oil got on the flywheel and the coil were they rub together. would that be bad? i wiped it off and everything, but it back fires so it has to be making a spark.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator

They don't actually rub together. There should be some space in between. You are right about the valves, as long as you haven't moved them and they are all seated correctly regarding the push rods, you should be fine.