BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Lurker

Default Help! Torq Converter or Clutch?

Hey all,

I need some help. I've got an old Honda Fat Cat that has been stripped of it's previous heart (200cc engine) The previous owner had it welded up as a mini bike and I tried but failed to replace it with a 200 honda engine short of spending $600 for a Fat Cat engine. I have a 6.5 horizontial shaft engine that I would like to run on this Frankenbike but i need some help. So

The rear sprocket runs a #50 chain and I really don't think I can change the sprocket besides I was told not to run a centrifugal clutch on anything with tires bigger than 15" mine are 20 or so. I have been looking at torque converters and I was wondering if you can run a #50 chain of of any of them (like do the sprockets swap out?) I am totally new to this particular game and would welcome any help whatsoever. I am pretty handy and have a welder etc. I just need guidance on what parts can do what I need. Cheap is always good if the quality is good enough but I prefer a bike to be able to ride when I get on it. Thanks and please feel free to email me.
electrickid03@yahoo.com
Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator

I've got a feeling you may be forced into using a different rear sprocket. Honestly, that 6.5 may not be enough anyways for a fatcat. Personally, I am betting you can find plenty of used running engines for a lot cheaper than what it will cost you to fabricate something to work with that rear sprocket. I'd look for an XR 400 engine or something like that and really make it haul ass.

Did he butcher it up trying to make it into a mini bike?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Lurker

yeah man he did. I got some old 200m motors but all the carb and motor in general won't fit without stretching the frame out and I really don't want to do that. Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of an xr 400 motor.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Lurker

BuggyMaster,I came into possession of a little fox yerf-dog, So I thought, Boy, Christmas, This thing came with some kind of scooter motor (gone). Still a rolling chassis, He also gave me a 6hp Tecumseh (new). In my younger days I raced odysseys, can I use the DRIVER and DRIVEN pulley system like in the yerf dog 3202?
Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

If it had the GY6 scooter type engine on it, the variator and driven won't really go on the Tecumseh.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Lurker

Default Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Buggy master, well what series clutch should I look into?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Administrator

A 30 series is what typically would be used with a tecumseh engine.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Administrator

I'm actually curious as to which model it is. Fox and YerfDog are different brands. If it is a Yerf and it came with a scooter style engine, that would have to be a SpyderBox. Does it look like the one shown here:

Old 11-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Lurker

no, It's yellow. Says yerf dog on it, when i went on yerf dog site found it under fun kart, little fox #40000. I have been looking at the 30 series, but I need to know what the dimension are from driver to driven pulleys are so I can stay In the ball park when I comes to getting a belt.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Lurker

O, and another thing. this kart has a 28 or 29 tooth sprocket on the axle (on the passenger side) so I have to make a jack shaft. Well my question is what tooth size, pitch,# is that sprocket to fit a chain? thanx
Old 11-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator

I see. Well you'll use a simple 3/4 shaft size for the drive pulley. The rear came in two flavors: either a 6" or a 7". Which one you need depends on what was on there. Actually, you can use either one. The belt size will be dictated by which driven pulley size you go with. The sprocket I can't say for sure without seeing it but more than likely it is a standard 40/41 pitch.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Lurker

Buggy master, Thanx for the info. "May their be dirt and bugs from many of mile in your teeth" Splaaaa