BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Classifieds > Buggies For Sale / Wanted

Buggies For Sale / Wanted Forum for Selling Buggies, Big and Small

Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Contributor

Thumbs up Tachometers

Haven't been here for a while. They had to do some replumbing on me so I am layed up for a short time. Can't drive the buggy till everything sticks together. So while I wait,I am adding mods to it. Nothing serious, just bling bling. Directional signals,air horns and a bit of paint. Found a can of rattle can red paint on my shelf. No idea what I got it for or how long it has been sitting there. Perfect match to the Carbide red. So the dash I put in is red, and maybe red rear fenders. Anyway,I would like to know if anyone knows of a good tachometer for a GY6. Lots on the net, but they seem to have a really slow response time. Not interested in waiting. I want one that is instant. Anyone know of a good one and who carries it. Will send some pic of my handy work when I am done.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Heavy Contributor

most use this http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

works very well but you normally have to extend the wiring harness to fit a buggy
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Administrator

I've always wanted one of those. They appear to be great toys to have.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Contributor

Thanks ckau. I have been talking to them. Just have to get in tuoch with a Canadian dealer. Looks like a pretty good unit.
Yea Buggymaster I think they are a pretty good thing to have. Lets you you keep track of how the machine is running under different conditions. Hard to tell sometimes by listening alone.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Contributor

Hey ckau have you had anything to do with there temp gauges.They have one that fits where the plug washer goes. They seem like pretty nice gauges.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Heavy Contributor

the trail tech uses the plug ring sensor. very accurate according to a heat gun.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributor

ive had one for over 2 years and works perfect every time.it was on my shelf for 9 mons.or so and still had all info on it when i put it back on.
i would buy another one its that good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newnew buggy 017.jpg (101.5 KB, 24 views)

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK
Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggyMaster View Post
I've always wanted one of those. They appear to be great toys to have.
A very handy toy! With the info this thing gives, it is a great tuning and maintanance schedule tool. Keeps up with milage and hours run for maintanance. Has idiot lights that can be programed for about any feature. I have one set for high rpm limit and one set for high cylinder head temp. They light up when I reach these points. Sometimes I set one for anticipated clutch engagment rpm to check how the clutch hooks up. Variances in head temps can tell how the jetting and exhaust is working out. The recall feature is very handy. you can run a course, recall rpms, speed and E.T. Make some changes, run again and compare readings. Overall, a good system monitoring tool.
these were not designed for buggy use . the wiring harnes has to be extended to reach from motor to dash.
the speed sensor uses a magnetic bolt and pick up. swap out a bolt in the brake rotor and fab a bracket to hold the pick up. You got to do some math supplied with the unit to callibrate the speed.
Depending on glare and dusty condition, the LCD screen can difficult to read. A shade hood helps a lot.
the tach takes a reading from the firing pulse. a connection to the positve side of the coil works best.
the unit is not water proof. It has to be removed or protected at bath time. A plastic baggy works fine.
I have used one for several years now with no problems or gliches. I was surprised at how clueless I was until I used this thing