BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Lite Contributor

Default 250HH Belt Life?

Hey guys,
Just wondering what the average belt life is on the 250HH. I have noticed that the cover over the CVT is getting a bit warm to hot on me last couple rides. That being said, my last couple rides have been hard and fast, about 30 to 40 minutes with the buggy going flat out, no slower then 30mph. I guessing that is why the cover got hot.

Where is the best place to get a replacement belt?

Also, is there a oil filter on the 250HH? Beside the little screen that is with the drain plug.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Heavy Contributor

1. You need to retune the CVT for off-road use by changining out the rollers and main spring. The way the buggies ship, they are tuned for road application. Make sure the vents to the CVT are not obstructed.

2. When getting a a replacement belt, ensure it is a Mistuboshi OEM belt. The aftermarket belts fail prematurely.

3. There are no other oil filters on the CFMoto engine except the screen.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about doing some mods over the winter so I guess I will start with the CVT.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

I still have the origional belt on my 2007 GK44. I have been dirt draging it for 2 years now which is probably the most abuse one can put on a belt. GX-150 is correct in telling you to tune your CVT and how you tune will depend on the driving and terrain. Hammerhead has a pretty good stock setup.
TOM
Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
I still have the origional belt on my 2007 GK44. I have been dirt draging it for 2 years now which is probably the most abuse one can put on a belt. GX-150 is correct in telling you to tune your CVT and how you tune will depend on the driving and terrain. Hammerhead has a pretty good stock setup.
TOM
Thanks for the info. How would you recommend I tune my CVT? My Driving is usually on the fast side when ever I can and my terrain is mostly woods roads and old railroads which is fairly smooth, but I do go exploring side trails which could be a get rough. Also, the woods roads can get a but hilly at times but isn't to bad..
Old 08-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Heavy Contributor

19g slider weights in the variator and a red Malossi torque spring in the clutch pulley will put the engine into optimum RPMs for horsepower and torque for your riding.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Supporting Vendor

Ditto
TOM
Old 08-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX150 View Post
19g slider weights in the variator and a red Malossi torque spring in the clutch pulley will put the engine into optimum RPMs for horsepower and torque for your riding.
Thanks, Will I lose or gain any top speed with this setup?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Heavy Contributor

You may gain because the engine will be running closer to peak outputs. Even if your top speed does not increase, the rate you get there will be faster.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Supporting Vendor

This is a tricky call to make. I will agree 95% with GX 150 , but it will depend on your gearing, sprocket size and tire size. I have always found the 18grm rollers might effect top speed by 1 MPH but the low end and mid range will be much better. Not knowing what year HH you have for the later models have the HI/LOW gear box so gearing will be differant than the older single range gear box. Either way you will improve performance overall with 18 grm rollers and torque spring change. You will also want to change your clutch springs as well. Most will experiment with a few differant wieght rollers to achieve their desired performance.

TOM
Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Heavy Contributor

Remember that tuning the CVT does not change your gear ratios. Changing weights controls the rate of up shift and the torque spring controls downshift rate.

Clutch arm springs will change the engagement RPM of the clutch. If you like the feel of dumping a manual clutch at high RPM's, stiffer springs will give you this at the expense of clutch life. Also remember that stiffer springs will disengage the clutch sooner if the engine drops bellow engagement threshold. I prefer to use OEM springs in the arms to get the clutch to engage hold solid through the majority of engine RPM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
This is a tricky call to make. I will agree 95% with GX 150 , but it will depend on your gearing, sprocket size and tire size. I have always found the 18grm rollers might effect top speed by 1 MPH but the low end and mid range will be much better. Not knowing what year HH you have for the later models have the HI/LOW gear box so gearing will be differant than the older single range gear box. Either way you will improve performance overall with 18 grm rollers and torque spring change. You will also want to change your clutch springs as well. Most will experiment with a few differant wieght rollers to achieve their desired performance.

TOM
My buggy is 2009, its has the HI/LOW gear box and its completely stock. How would I go about ordering the Red Malosi clutch torque spring and the 18 or 19G slider weights.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

Give me a call @ 662-301-1563, if no answer leave message and I'll get right back to you.

TOM
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Give me a call @ 662-301-1563, if no answer leave message and I'll get right back to you.

TOM
I would call but that would cost me a LOT to call from Newfoundland, Canada..
Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Supporting Vendor

It sure would cost to call, E-mail me / tom@sycpowersports.com .

TOM
Old 09-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
It sure would cost to call, E-mail me / tom@sycpowersports.com .

TOM
email sent..