BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Lurker

Default 2005 Hammerhead 250 no fire

I have replaced the cdi and coil and traced all of the wires and connections and still no fire. Can a bad stator cause this? If so, how do I test the stator?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 PM

I could be wrong but I think the stator only works on charging the battery. have you disconnected the kill switch yet to check that that aint the problem.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM

welcome hotrod where you from?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Lurker

I disconnected the kill switch and even took one off of my other buggy and still no fire. I have a new battery and spark plug too. Thinking maybe the new cdi may be bad, hopefully not. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM
Lurker

I got it to fire. I have a power probe and was using it to check the wires for a possible broken connection. I touched the probe to the yellow wire with the blue stripe that connects to the blue wire from the stator and the spark plug arced. I then put the plug back in the cylinder and cranked the motor while touching the power probe to the yellow wire and the motor fired. I cant just hold it on there I have to pulse it to get the plug to fire. I am assuming by this that there is something wrong with the stator or pick up??? Any suggestions?? I did not push the switch on the power probe only touched it to it. I got a dim green light when doing so.

Thanks for any input!!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Supporting Vendor

That wire you touched with test light is for the pulse generator. It sounds as if you might have an open ground. You should have a grn. wire from stator. Check end to end with a ohm meter to make sure it is not open. That ground with other wires from stator will plug into your engine harness. Inside the electrical box all the grounds go together and are twisted then soldered. Many times the solder does not reach inside the big bundle of grounds and you can develope a ground fault as a result. Not sure if hammerhead uses that method of tying all the grounds together.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 PM

what do you mean you have to pulse to get it to fire? where do you have the ground wire end on your tester hooked to?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM

The pulse generator is like a distributor/dist pick up, it tells the CDI and coil when to fire according to engine speed and timing. Basically, if he sits there and pulses the power probe when it requires fire, then it will run.

FYI, power probes are a tool used to apply a 12v power, and depending on the model power probe, ground to any point via a switch, resulting in precise control/manipulation of an electrical circuit. I have one at work, very useful for testing motors and switches.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Lite Contributor

Just putting this out there...Are you sure the 2 prong plug coming from the motor is plugged in. These are the wires from the magnetic pick-up inside the engine and are responsible for telling the CDI when to provide the spark. If they are then you should do as SYCARMS suggested as you may have an open ground.