BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Lurker

Default Reverse gearbox break-down,,,

Im hopin somebody has a good break down of a planetary gear set,,,
I have a Manco Carbide,,,,lots of chain n sprockets,,,
The shaft that holds the gear box broke,and I thought the gearbox was shot,,,just need the shaft,,,
While I was pulling the shaft out of the gearbox,,,it separated,,I didnt think itd b too hard to get back together,,,But,,,Theres a couple of spacers that came out,,,and darned if I cant figure out where theyr suposed to go,,,

If anybodys got a breakdown or skematick,,,,Id be greatly appriciative

Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Power User

I was just looking at one last night and can't find it. I'm pretty sure it was posted in a thread here. I have one on my garage floor, i'll pull the shafts/spacers, lay them out in order and post a picture.

Added picture. this one is off a 2000 Sunl engine. don't know if it was a kit add on or not. The order of the two spacers is switched when compared to the one on the 2005 Carter engine. Both engines were worked on before i got them. It appears as if the one spacer has a lip designed to go against the reverse main shaft to keep it centered. I think the diagram I saw last night was either on BMI or BDepot's product site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverse assy.jpg (34.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by x-bird; 01-05-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Lurker

Hey,,thanks X-bird,,,Thing is,,,I think the spacers Im talkin about,,,are on the other side of the planetary,,,maby,,,sorta ,,,I think,,,See the situation Im in,,?? If you let the planetary slide out from the fork on the base,,?? Heck,,,I might b loosin my mind,,,!!! lo
THink Ill just get one off EWHEY,,,
THANKS
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Power User

The assy. order should go as follows, in order from the engine side. (Still can't find that parts diagram I came across.) My pic (sunl) has the first two out of order, which is how it came apart. After studying it and the Carter (which had them the other way) I'm pretty sure the carter or is correct and is listed below.

1: Thick spacer with the slightly smaller inside step, step side faces reverse gearbox.

2: Narrower spacer with wide ID. The ID matches the step and "locates" the spacer in relation to the axle center.

3. inner gearbox case.

4. (Inside of case) thin steel shim against inside case side.

5. Primary "sun" gearshaft.

6. Outside half of the gearbox.

7. Lock nut. I found a "vibration proof" nut on BD for 4.95. My carter had a castle nut/cotter pin, the Sunl has a worn out nylock nut.

Last edited by x-bird; 01-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.