BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 03-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Lite Contributor

Question clutch getting red hot!

alright so i just bought a centrifugal clutch from tractor supply. and installed it on to a predator 212cc engine and after running it for no more than 15 minutes the clutch started to get red hot. so i dont know if this is normal or if i already broke it or what. please help!
Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Lite Contributor

I recently did the same thing, and it got extremely hot, appeared to have some sort of melted greasy residue inside it, and wouldn't pull up the slight ditch in the yard after driving it about 35 - 40 yards down the driveway. Let it cool, removed and cleaned it thoroughly, reinstalled it and it did it again. It's still sitting in the shop. No suggestions or advice from here. ???
Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM

mikey if you will look at the other post you put on here I answered it. it may help your situation. there should be no type of grease etc. inside of any regular clutch like this, most have like a brass or bronze bushing inside of it. instead of bearings, now if you have your chain too tight that will cause the clutch to pull sideways and cause it to overheat also. check your chain tension it should have at least a 1/4" to 3/8" slack to move back and forth. if your engine clutch and your rear axle sprocket is not lined up straight together that will cause binding and overheating also.