BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Lurker

Default Roketa Geo conversion

Ok this is what I started with, and I am still not quite done but figured I would post up what I have so far. I will be taking it apart this winter and redoing the cage for something a little safer and adding some tree/nerf bars.

Pulled the engine and FNR box and set the Geo engine and trans in to size it up and to check the axles. Wasn't going to fit without some modifications!
The axles are stock to the 92 Geo Metro and fit the buggy hubs perfectly.

I cut off the back tubes and built new ones. The motor mounts are Ford F150 trans mounts (Good eye West Coast)

Motor mounts are 1/4" plate and 1"x2" tube bolted to Ford transmission mounts (I work in a transmission shop)

Engine and trans mounted up. I cut the top tubes off behind the seat leaving 3" I cut the back vertical bars flush with the horizontal tube then shortned them later, and added tubes with flanges so I can remove the fuel tank and frame work in one shot to work on the engine. I made my own intake and used 34mm Mikuni carbs, the ignition is a Ford Duraspark box hooked to the Geo distributor.

Last edited by Minnesota_Duane; 09-12-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Lurker

Last edited by Minnesota_Duane; 09-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

NICE JOB! looks like it came with the Geo motor. Too bad about the CV , what happened? How was the performance?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Lurker

Thanks! That picture is from the first part of july, and the first time out with it. I didn't have enough of the CV joint in the cup, I have since fixed that by spacing the axles in. I have about 1500 miles on it since I got it going, the engine was tired when I put it in and it's a lot worse now. It will still run around 80mph with me in it, when I first got it going I had my cousin riding with me and we were doing 85 along side a car. The buggy weighs #1000 pounds I'm at 200 and he's about 230. I will be tearing it apart this winter and making a stronger cage, going threw the engine, boxing the arms, and having it powder coated. It's a blast to drive and I try take it out every night after work. Last sunday My youngest son and I took it on a ride it got around 80 miles on a trail and roads and spent two hours climbing sand piles in a gravel pit, I filled it up on monday and it took three gallons. Thats cheap entertainment.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Lite Contributor

That's awesome man. I am looking around for a different powerplant for my Roketa too (see avatar). Haven't really found anything yet. With your rear drive set up it looks like the Geo engine was the way to go...congrats!