BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > FrankenBuggy Tech

FrankenBuggy Tech Unconventional and Home Built Buggy Tech Forum

Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Lurker

Default Suggestions on a custom buggy

I am new to the forum but I am really finding buggies a lot of fun. I have had and still do have quads, dirt bikes, you name it, but these buggies are pretty cool. I got my son a Carbide and ride it more than he does.

My question is, I have a completely restored 1986 ATC250R that I have been trying to sell and cant. I want to strip the motor off the bike and put it on a buggy for me to ride. I think the 250R motor would tear it up pretty good. I just dont know where to go about getting a frame. I could build one, but not as cool looking as one like the Carbide. I want a buggy style frame like the Carbide but a little larger. Any suggestions???? Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Contributor

I just picked up a polaris 400 for my Joyner. I put my joyner 250 motor in my crossfire. I would search craigs list for a cheap frame. I know In Fl you can find a frame for 300 bucks all the time. You just gotts look everyday
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

The 250R if I remember from younger days it's about 40hp and about 70mph- that's pretty stout/fast!!!The factors I would keep in mind for a manual clutch, non-reverse engine would be that it needs to be as light as possible. Also with a kick starter-provisions will need to be made for clear access to it.
Please keep all of us up to date on what you decide to do, no doubt with that power plant it'll be lethal!!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Contributor

250R, yeah, that's the 2 smoker ain't it? Wooooohooooooo Baby! Fast!

Just find a frame you like, Carbide, yerfdog, Helix....and cheap searching for a low price, do a conversion, sell off the old engine & bits, you're good to go.
That starter would be my biggest worry too. I'd be thinking heim ends, linkage, leverage, and in cockpit hand starting,,,,but that's just me.