BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Lurker

Default Manco Helix 150 Front brakes?

Hello,

I have a Manco Helix 150 that is about to get a serious motor upgrade and I was wondering if anyone had experience with either a front brake kit or fabbing up your own hydraulic front brakes on one of these carts?

I emailed a few of the go kart parts depot's that pop up first on a google search to see if they had any kits or ideas - but no response as of yet.

Any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Lurker

A little more info - the Manco Helix 150 is the exact same cart as the American Sportworks Blue lightening. The American Sportworks Quantum has disc brakes on the front, does anyone know if the Quantum front brake parts will work on the Blue lightening? Curious all what parts would be required to do the swap?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

Unfortunately your kart was not set up for front brakes. You would probably have to fabricate to make parts work. It may not be worth the time or money. I don't know how many blue lightening buggies they made but the one I have has the 5hp mower type engine and does not seem possible to install front brakes without a ton of fabing. Post a picture of your buggy so we can see just what your dealing with.

TOM
Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Unfortunately your kart was not set up for front brakes. You would probably have to fabricate to make parts work. It may not be worth the time or money. I don't know how many blue lightening buggies they made but the one I have has the 5hp mower type engine and does not seem possible to install front brakes without a ton of fabing. Post a picture of your buggy so we can see just what your dealing with.

TOM
Yes, I am aware that it didn't come with front brakes, hence the quest to find or make something work. With 109HP from the Gixxer coming to it... its going to need front brakes.

Here are some pics: http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/...kal/Go%20Kart/

As you can see the hubs are already drilled and tapped to mount rotors. I might be able to buy the appropriate stuff. I did get ahold of American Sportworks and they said the wheel hubs are the same on the quantum and helix 150. So... I may buy parts for a quantum and document the upgrade procedure. Now to see if the stuff is halfway cost effective...
Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

There does not seem to be a simple solution to adding front brakes. There will be a lot of fabrication to modify for front brakes. Not saying it cannot be done but it does not appear to be a simple swap. I don't see modifying what you have to be an option since mounting tabs will have to be somehow welded to the spindles which would be risky at best. Maybe someone else can chime in with some other buggy they know of that uses the same type spindle that uses calipers that wouldn't be a very tough swap.

TOM
Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Lurker

Looks like I am going to buy a different buggy instead. This one in fact: http://www.youtube.com/user/bimmerjo.../1/moVhcK4eSgQ

Its got front brakes already, has been setup for a Ninja engine (which is now dead) should be easier to transplant in the GSXR600. I also don't have to chop up my existing Helix 150 - kids can ride it nice and SLOW while I do burnouts on the Yerf style "FrankenBuggy".
Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

I think that is the way to go.
TOM
Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

That would be Dune 150/Crossfire/Punisher style "Frankenbuggy"!!!!! Check out- http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/member.php?u=107
He's already done this! Mine only has a Honda 250 w/ reverse. Where do you live?FYI- Your brake swap should you decide to do it later would be from one of the above listed buggies.

Last edited by metalstudman1; 10-20-2011 at 11:35 PM.