BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Lurker

Default Buggy Spindle Chinese

Hey guys,
so the spindle on my buggy broke and i Think its a chinese buggy because i cant find the brand on it? It has a homelite 196cc engine and thats about all the identification really (except the VIN)
anyways i put some pics up because i need help locating the spindle for it
This is the good side,as you can see i had already got the broken side off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0745.jpg (92.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0743.jpg (94.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0744.jpg (92.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Lurker

the spindle attachement joint to the Tie rod (the little hole) broke off and since its cast iron everyone told me it would just snap right back off if I had welded in..so look like it needs to be replaced
Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Lite Contributor

to weld cast... heat it til cherry red, then weld. cool/retemper with motor oil dip. puts the carbon back in the metal. for what your doing it will hold. that rack/tie rod angle is your problem tho.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Lurker

the tie rod is fine..its just the part which connects it to the spindle that broke off (the spindle) anyways im not too good with welding...i just have a butane torch! and even took it to a weld shop and they said it would probably break off again...so it would be safer just to buy a new spindle..
Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Lite Contributor

cast is weldable if you know how. not all welders know how. and i dont mean your tie rod is broke i was saying the angle of your tie rod when the suspension flexes is causing your problem and likely broke the spindle from it.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Lite Contributor

otherwise just make a spindle from scratch. not that hard to do. i am a blacksmith, machinist, welder, metalsmith. i do things like this all the time. happy buggying
Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Power User

you might find that some of the smaller chinese quads (baja, badger etc.) have the same spindle.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEEZARD7 View Post
to weld cast... heat it til cherry red, then weld. cool/retemper with motor oil dip. puts the carbon back in the metal. for what your doing it will hold. that rack/tie rod angle is your problem tho.
Maybe I missed something,why is the rack/tie rod angle the problem?Is that what broke?

FABRICATION ITS HARDER THAN YOU THINK
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

You own a Baja 65 (BB-65) Baja motorsports.The spindles back when these karts were new were impossible to get,I do have a new passenger side one-but not a drivers side!! I'd do as LEEZARD7 suggests and make one, I welded our's multiple times -I finally made one from a piece of 4" x 1/4" channel that lasted till I junked it out. The spindle shaft is just pressed into the casted part, it's easy to remove & re-use.
Sorry- wish I had a easier solution for you.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Power User

only other thought is if there is enough width to the steering arm portion of the spindle to allow him to drill two holes and bolt in a piece of 1/4 steel with a hole in the end of it for the tie rod to mount to.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

These are pretty flimsy and there isn't much to the spindle- Our's broke by having very small impacts. Wish I still had a pic of the one I made, it was pretty simple to make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb65 pass. spindle 1.jpg (39.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bb65 pass. spindle 2.jpg (36.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg bb65 pass. spindle 3.jpg (36.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysheepdog View Post
Maybe I missed something,why is the rack/tie rod angle the problem?Is that what broke?
it is just an observation from a still pic. the rack is located under the arm and shows to angle in and upward stroke in the rest position. under movement it would travel in and negative upward motion it would appear and put stress and likely make the wheels toe in. typically you would want the rack in the same plane as the suspension movement. again this just an observation from a still pic. happy buggying.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Power User

Not much to that spindle. if you can, find a local welding shop and see if they can make you one from some box tubing and flat plate. also looks like a simple enough fix regarding the tie rod angle--mount it from underneath.