BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Odd gas tank leak

So I finally get my HH back up and running and now the gas tank is leaking from what seems like the seam. There is no hole, it just slowly leaks out like the gas tank is splitting apart where it looks to have been pressed together like a seam...Trying to explain this the best I can. Anyone else ever have this problem? Whats the fastest way to fix this?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 PM

I can't say I've ever seen or heard of that before, but could you drain the tank and maybe use some jb cold weld on it?!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Power User

i have seen tanks leak/split like you describe. pretty sure it's a pair of flanges on each half of the tank shell resistance welded together. if the heat range or dwell time was off, you end up with a weak weld bond. safest thing to do is replace the tank. you could be chasing repairs on it for the duration, or roast your backside the bad way.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
i have seen tanks leak/split like you describe. pretty sure it's a pair of flanges on each half of the tank shell resistance welded together. if the heat range or dwell time was off, you end up with a weak weld bond. safest thing to do is replace the tank. you could be chasing repairs on it for the duration, or roast your backside the bad way.
I agree with X. It's not that uncommon of a problem. Tanks formed with two halves then seamed are prone to this problem. Any kind of repair such as JB weld is temporary. once a seam fails it tends to keep on splitting. And no way would I ever attempt to weld on that tank! Most likely to explode in your face.
That tank needs to be replaced.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Heavy Contributor

These two guys convinced me I would replace it.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Heavy Contributor

Don't know how much a new tank is but here is the only viable option to a new tank. People use this to completely repair and seal the pressurized tanks on Coleman type pump lanterns and it works. It cleans out all rust and corrosion. Then it etches the entire surface of the inside of the tank. Then it completely coats the inside of the tank with a ceramic (porcelin-like) coating and lots of people swear by it. Of coarse if a new tank is cheaper then the choice is obvious.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hx-hEWl10c
I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Heavy Contributor

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...%3D40408680087

Oops. Forgot the link.

SYC Perf head P&P,Matched intake and exhaust, A12 cam, Orange CDI & coil, Motorio pulley, 115mm Variator and lightweight drive face,11gm Sliders, UNI, modded muffler + 200 horsepower

I'll take your insults as compliments and blame it on your lack of intelligence.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Lite Contributor

So I tried a temp fix with gasket sealer and seal all stuff that was supposed to be gas resistant...not...I dont know where I could find a better replacement tank because I certainly dont want to buy the same one. Any ideas?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Contributor

I'm not to proud to admit that when I was a kid I cut a fuel tank with a torch. The only thing that saved my life was the chain link fence next to me caught the tank when it exploded. It was a 15 gal tank out of a car. Then less than 2 years later I got a job cutting several 50,000 gal diesel tanks up so we could scrape them, each had a couple hundred gallons of fuel in them when we started. I wouldn't do it again at gun point.

Moral of the story, welding a fuel tank can kill you and everyone around you.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Power User

I had thought about recommended an interior sealer like slestak linked --i used the original version of that kit from Por-15 on my firebird's tank--did that in 98 and never an issue since. but it's more for rusted interior than baker's situation as the split could keep spreading with vibration and also any pinhole bubbles that form in the sealer/paint at the seam could still allow fuel through.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:22 PM

Default What if!

I know this is a little far fetched, but what if he encapsulated the outside of the tank with a good sealant or plural sealer, kinda like a bed lining or polyureah coating? although I dont know how economical that would be!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Heavy Contributor

Let me throw an idea here if you don't want to buy another tank.... right where the top half of tank meets the bottom half wich its the middle where the seem is cut off the lip on the seam that goes around the tank so its flush to tank no more lip. But first rinse tank out with water thourally and leave cap off. And it will make welding around the tank on the seam so much easier since its cut flush. But you have to cut that lip off that goes around the tank or it wont weld your problem.... or buy another tank...Eddie.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Heavy Contributor

Thats if you have a bandsaw or sawzall and a welder.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Power User

honestly, for all the trouble, what's a surplus center tank go for--around 20 bucks plus shipping? ...
Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
honestly, for all the trouble, what's a surplus center tank go for--around 20 bucks plus shipping? ...
Plain and simple! Take it from those that have been down that road before!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Lite Contributor

Thanks for all the replies fellas, but welding is out of the question since I dont know how lol, I would rather just buy another tank. Anyone know where I can order one?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Thats the tank I will be using, but the shipping is kinda ridiculous, if you ask me, $14 to ship a $20 tank?? If you order a bunch of stuff at once, the per item shipping rate goes way down. I think for a tank, the petcock, and some sprockets, they quoted $21 to ship it all.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 05-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker3 View Post
Thanks for all the replies fellas, but welding is out of the question since I dont know how lol, I would rather just buy another tank. Anyone know where I can order one?
http://www.*************.com/item.as...item=28-1836-B
Old 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Lite Contributor

Will this bolt up to my stock holes or will I have to modify my buggy to make it fit?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Power User

you'd probably have to add a couple mount tabs for it.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Lite Contributor

How about the fuel petcock. I read that mine is vacuum operated. Will the one on my fuel tank bolt up to the surplus one? Sorry for all the questions just a noob here
Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 PM

I don't think so, you would be better off getting the matching petcock with the tank, its only a few bucks more. It has a built in reserve as well, which is always good to have.

'04 Dazon Raider 150 'modded'
Old 06-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Lite Contributor

Well I got the original tank fixed. I drained the gas and let it dry out for a couple days, cleaned all around the weld and took it in to a buddy that worked on my jeep. He welded it all up and strengthened the welds and now its better than before!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Heavy Contributor

If I had went through all of that I would have lined it with gold. Did you line it with gold?? Always great to fix a problem. Congrats.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:58 PM

It's always good to have friends!!! glad your problem is solved!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Lite Contributor

Well it was a free fix as opposed to buying a new tank...but no I didn't line it with gold lol
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Power User

free's the best in the buggy world--glad it worked out without a big hassle.