BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 04-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Brister's Scorpion 6.5hp questions

Hello all, I recently got a good deal on a 2005 Brister's 6.5hp Scorpion ZX265SE with the Techumseh motor. Well I got it for $75 and it cranks and runs but its pouring gas out of the carburetor. My guess is that the float is sticking. Well I've been searching for parts for this thing or maybe some performance parts like they make for the GY6. I have a Tomberline Punisher Gy6 that is quite abit nicer.

All I can find for this darn thing is that the company BDM or Brister's Design Manufacturing was bought out by American Sport Works. I visited ASW's website and they don't have any info regarding this buggy. If anyone knows of a website where I can find parts for this thing would be great..even better a website that sells upgrades for it.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Lite Contributor

So no one knows anything about these carts? I know it has a tecumseh motor, I just hope the clutch and belts hold up since there wont be anywhere to buy new ones.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Power User

are you looks for chassis/frame parts or engine parts?

I've found old 5-7 year old threads on another forum about a guy who went by the moniker "Batman" who did various stage Tec mods and sold parts. If you search Batman Stage 1 kit or something like that you will come across them and there is contact information in the threads. It looked too pricey for my tastes so i never followed through. I did some stuff myself and was happy with the results. took some time to find the little bits, i have links to a lot of Tec service and parts manuals if you'd like them posted, lmk.

Otherwise, the Tec engines have become orphans, the clone motors (harbor freight predators etc. ) have some aftermarket hop-up parts out there. The clutch/torque converter (you likely have a comet 30 on there, but can't say for sure without pics) parts and belts for that portion aren't an issue, ample supply and still manufactured.

If you post pics of chassis/suspension parts etc. someone may know if there is stuff out there that crosses over and works for it.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Lite Contributor

I've been wondering if that 212cc predator HF motor would be a direct drop in with out any major tweaking. I wonder if the drive clutch would bolt right to it? I know that motor alone would be probably all I needed. The 6.5hp Tec is how many ccs? 125cc?

If you do have the parts and service manual for the tecumseh 6.5 that would be great.

Last edited by Beefcake; 04-05-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Please post a pic like xbird suggested to help us help you. The Tec 6.5 is a 196cc, the Predator should be a direct bolt in & the crankshaft is the same size as the TEC. If you were to need to replace a new carb on the TEC it would be about $75.-$85, if you can find one.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Contributor

Any domestic engine 7hp or less will have a series 30 torqe convertor as the 8hp and bigger will have the 40.The gas leak should not be that hard to fix??? mancoman
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Power User

This link is to the download of the manual with the Tec jet chart and part numbers. to find them for sale (e-bay etc.) you really need the part number. stock 6.5 tec jet is a 141. if you mod, you'll likely need to change it. i installed a Tec adjustable needle in place of a fixed jet so i can change it when needed just but turning it in or out.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/te...partslist.html

This link is to the page with the various tec models and a basic Tec service manual download ...

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...ine-specs.html

Last edited by x-bird; 04-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Lite Contributor

As soon as it gets back from the mechanic I'll post some pictures. Anyone know off hand what the exact model # this motor would be? I was checking out those links and to find the part you need you gotta have the model number.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

You're going to have to get it off the engine when you get it back.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Power User

if it's the 6.5 hp tec powersports, the model is the ohh-65. there's no specific manual for just that engine. the overhead valve engine manual includes it. basics on engine assembly, detailed on carb types, tec/sears cross reference chart (gotta stare at it til your bug-eyed) for engine parts with the part numbers.