BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > General Mini Buggy and Go Kart Forums > Mini Buggy General Discussion

Mini Buggy General Discussion General Discussion forum for Mini Buggies. (American Sportworks, HammerHead, Carter, etc)

Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Ohhhhh fuuddgee

Well I mount up the mojave shock today(man did that strech it out.)Took it out for a spin today and I snapped the rear axle.Do you think it has something to do with the shocks and tires? It rode great nice and smooth then snap and my rear tire was passing me.Should I dump the $250 on the hd axle or replace it with a stock one.
redneck intake
125 jet
16.5x6.5x8 fronts
21x11x10 holeshots on itp's
coming soon 10g roller 1500rpm spring
Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Oh man! You're kidding! Were you doing a jump or something? I think I would do an HD axle.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Lite Contributor

no id think it had to do with ur shocks.the yerf axles are junk.lol.get the hd and ull be rooling in style
yerf 3206. carlise pxt tires, kawie mojavie shocks, seat covers 9 gram sliders uni air filter. soon to have for 2009 christmas, 20x10-8 tires new ball joints new rins and dalumin dimond plate fog lights homemade roof and a speedometer.
MY AVATAR PIC IS WHAT IT EILL LOOK LIKE SORTA
Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 PM

yeah what everyone eles said lol
-gutted exaust
-extended lugs
-headlights
-reflectors
-my stickers
-adjusted suspension
-ground out hubs
(to fit on the tires)

helix 150
Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Lite Contributor

The funny parts is i was not jumping it.I just went from the street up the curb to my front lawn.
redneck intake
125 jet
16.5x6.5x8 fronts
21x11x10 holeshots on itp's
coming soon 10g roller 1500rpm spring
Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have a new stock axle.$75.00
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Are the shocks so stiff that there it's like no suspension?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Heavy Contributor

The stock yerf axles are junk, period! I got a pile behind the shop to prove it. I have been passed by my own rear wheels several times! Even flipped when my broke axle stub dug in and pole vaulted me over.The HD axle kit is the easiest way to go. You can convert to a high grade steel axle which is even better but that requires alot of fabrication.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Supporting Vendor

About half the people I know with Yerf Dogs have had to replace their axles and also front spindles. However it seems the other half has not had to. I believe the problem is with the later models. The Yerf Dog origionally was made in Mississippi. Than Walmart and Sams Club who at the time were Yerf Dogs iceing on the cake, required them to provide a cheaper priced buggy. The last year and half I believe the buggies sold thru Sams and WalMart were totally sourced to China and this is where their problems started. I had met a gentleman who worked at the Yerf Dog factory where the Radio Flier wagon was also made. He was laid off when the outsourcing began and ended up working at the BMW parts warehouse. He told me that in the end YerfDog was still making some in the US but that the Big Box stores required them to outsource to China. When the Buggies started to have massive failures Wal Mart And Sams refused many containers of Buggies and that resulted in YerfDog filling for Chapter 7. The refused Buggies had made it to port when the orders were cancelled leaving YerfDog without the means to pay the balance due. The Buggies were than shipped back to China. Yerf Dog having float a loan for the 50% required down payment to have the Buggies made and shipped than to not have the balance to accept delivery from port put them under. The person I had met and who was laid off, his job consisted of the purchasing of parts and supplies from China. Yerf Dog had found another factory to build the karts which were to be sold to the big box stores. Thats Corporate America for ya. TOM
Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Heavy Contributor

the yerf dog was a good design and the concept was sound. As Tom stated it was corporate decisions that caused the down fall. Too bad they could not stay in business long enough to digest the design flaws and get the chance to correct the problems. I bought my first yerf in 04' on a impulse from Sam's club. I recognized at the time some of the flaws but I knew I could fix the problems. So, after 6 years and countless miles of track and trail. l I have observed a distinct pattern of failure with the yerfs.
Wither it was a calculated design function or just plumb luck, most of all of the components will hold up well as long as nothing is changed or altered and the buggy is used as originally intended, YEA RIGHT!!!!
This axle failure is a perfect example. I call it the "trickle down effect" Every aspect of the buggy is only as good as the weakest part. The stock axle with the stock tires and shocks. limits the capabilities of the buggy so every thing holds up at an semi acceptable level. Improving the tires gives the buggy a better ride and more grip. This in turn transfers more strain on the axle. Which, in turn fails, usually twisting off at the hub. So the axle gets upgraded . The stress is now transferred to the the hubs themselves. I have literally twisted off the spokes of yerf hubs before! Up grade the hubs, now the wheels themselves start to go with the bolt holes getting beat up, another upgrade! Next axle bearings prematurely fail. The next link in the chain. After upgrading to another style bearing to take the load, the bearing mounts on the swing arm start to show stress cracking in the welds. The upgrade of one component directly effects another right down the line. The same pattern follows with the front end too.