BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech

150cc GY6 and Under Engine Tech GY6 and Smaller Technical Discussion Forum

Old 05-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Lurker

Default I need advice on ASW Carbide 150 strange stuff

I purchased an ASW Carbide 150. It now has 450 km on it. Right from new the Kart would stall out going down hill. Revs would drop after it warmed up. Going on the flat or uphill was not a problem for the carb. At about 100 km the Kart seemed to have trouble getting power at any RPM or road speed, like it was running lean or hot. I pulled the sparkplug and found that it was oil fouled. I began looking around the Kart and found an unusual amount of oil around the cooling shroud. I am now disassembling the motor (out of the Kart). I discovered that the right hand crankshaft oil seal had been torn during factory assembly and the oil passing the seal was being spun by the magneto, picked up by the fan and had coated the cylinder head. As dust imedded in this oil film the Kart seemed to run progressively hotter.

I pulled the head and piston and found a heavy oil buildup on the combustion chamber in the head and on the piston crown, and strange marking of the face of the piston rings (as if the rings had flat spots around the circumference and the rings had not fully seated to the bore.). Also the oil scraper rings, although they are loose in the piston groove don't extend much past the skirt of the piston. The compression rings are bigger in circumference (out of the bore) than the oil rings. The bore is fine, as you would expect for 450 km. You can still see the original scuffing marks for seating the rings.

Here are my questions.
1. Can running hot explain the oil fouling. The piston does not show any signs of damage from overheating.

2. Can anyone tell me where I can buy gasket, seals, and rings. I have been unable to find a replacement crankshaft oil seal. Several of the parts supply outfits on the web (such as Kazuma) who stock the seal do not ship into Canada. The seal which is Triton 19.8 x 30 x 5 is not a stocking seal at conventional seal and bearing suppliers in Canada. The dealer's service supplier has had me waiting for weeks, as he has not been able to procure seals, and I can't figure if he is not trying hard enough, or is he is being stonewalled by ASW. The order desk at GoKartsUSA told me that the ASW Carbide 150 is not a GY6 engine, and I can't find an engine manufacturers name any place on the engine.

3. I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it. The main jet is stamped 114, but when I passed a 114 gauge through the jet it pushed out brass shavings. Is 114 adequate for this carb. I tried ordering larger jets for the KeiHin carb which is made in Japan, but the jets I got had a different thread and so would not go into this carb.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Contributor

Contact Tom Syc via his link on here. He probly has what you need being that he installs alot of internals for these
Old 05-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Contributor

My advice would be to gibe Tom Syc a call at 622-301-1563 He is a supporting vendor here and can definitely get you what you need to get up and going again. My brother Chuck is fast he beat me typing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeulR4W1_PU
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

Oil fouling can be caused by several things with running hot being one of them, but usually you will see some scuffing of the cylinder and or piston as well. Over heating the rings can cause them to loose its spring making them brittle but usually as previously stated you will also see some scoring or scuffing to piston, cylinder or both. The other reason for the rings to fail is dirt injested into intake due to either dirty filter or airbox leak.All it takes is about 1 hour to wipe out the rings when dirt is injested. The seals are standard, they are used on many gearboxes. We had BAE conveyors at my old job which some of the gearboxes used the seal you are looking for. BAE conveyors are world wide also used in Canada. You will need to go to a regular bearing supply where all they carry are bearings and seals. Auto parts stores will not have them. I cannot imagine a bearing & seal supplier would not be able to get them since they are not only used on the Chinese engines but also on many many gear boxes. You will pay a premium price from these suppliers but they should have them. Many people will not ship to Canada since it could be a pain to ship there and will cost much more than if you can purchase locally. If you just cannot find one than PM me and I can get one to you.Although I do not sell the carbide line I have worked on them and they were all GY6 engines. If you look just under the cvt cover right below the filtered intake there will be a flat boss on the very bottom side of the case and there you will find the serial # as well as engine type, it should have stamped 157QMJ right above the serial number. Check and let us know. The jets you ordered are for a slide carb. Keihin only makes slide carbs however many CV carbs which you have will have Keihin on then since they make many of the CV carbs on contract for various manufacturers. The jets you need will be for a CV carb. Check those engine numbers than if you have any problems finding the parts than you can PM me and well get you what you need but as I said the shipping will be the killer so you will be better off trying to locate the parts locally. TOM
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Lurker

Default Oil Fouling in new engine

Tom, thanks for your quick reply. Your suggestion of dirt injestion seems to be the most likely reason for my problem. The strange scuffing on the face of the rings and microburrs on the edge of the rings looks like somebody took fine sandpaper to the rings. I am the lowest and slowest machine in the group that I ride with. We ride on very loose sand and drive flat out. I am always in somebody's dust cloud. The inside of the carb seems to have a very fine coating of abrasive dust, but the air cleaner box and filter seem quite clean. Is it possible that the dust that I am pulling into the engine is so fine that it passes right through the air filter?

Since I need rings anyhow, I put in an order with ASW for seals and gaskets and rings. The engine number that I could find was stamped on the top of the case near the starter. It is JL1P57F (I think JL stands for Jin Lang). Is this a GY6 engine, it sure looks like it.

The jets that I ordered came with a coarse metric thread, but the KeiHin carbs that I have, use jets with a fine metric thread so the jets could not be used.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Supporting Vendor

Not knowing what kind of air box you have,from my experiance I have found them to leak at cover, where it attaches to carb. The filters I have seen used are the paper pleated elements and the foam. If foam is used it has t be oiled with a filter oil. The K&N filters are the best. If when you remove duct work from carb and see any residue in carb the filter is being bypassed somewhere. The carbides I have worked on all have been GY6's. Now maybe Canada due to regulations use something else. There are 3 configurations of the GY6 150cc engine. The one most used is the 157QMJ, this is a short case with a
3" bolt pattern for the head cylinder studs, than you have the other variant which has a 3 1/8" stud pattern and the last variant is the long case which is used in most scooters. If you send a pic I can tell you if its a gy6 but not which variant. Last Kiehin makes slide carbs which when you buy Kiehin jets they will be for the slide carb. You have a Kiehin CV carb which Kiehin makes under contract for various manufacturers, The CV carb uses a differant jettype. If you were to go to Kiehin's web site and view all there products you will not see a CV carb like yours cause accept for under contract they do not produce CV carbs. When you purchase the jets you must state that they are for a CV carb than you will ger the correct jets. Hope I have not confused you on this. If not clear just give me a call 662-301-1563 and I'll try to explain. I will be in the shop until 3:00 pm central time. TOM
Old 05-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Gokartsrus will have your ASW parts as well as ASW directly. I am not sure if one or either ships to Canada. They absolutely have a GY6 engine. What is different on an ASW is they have an internal reverse where most of them use an external planetary set.

114 is the standard jet that comes in these machines. Whether or not it is the correct jet for you depends on what your mods are. Is the machine stock?
Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Lurker

Tom, in a discussion thread you had with WilliamFVC he mentioned that he also has a JL1P57F engine, but his is in a Roketa. I was able to find a pic on the internet of the JL1P57F but it looks like it is configured for a scooter with a kickstart. The pic is too small to see much detail.
I was going to mod the CVT to get my revs up for the winding sand trails I ride on, but the performance clutch torque spring I ordered from GoKartsUSA did not fit my clutch. Instead I found a 42 tooth rear axle sprocket. I will miss the high end speed, but I really need my revs up at low speeds.
I have not done any mods to the breathing, other than cleaning the bore in the main jet which seemed to have some brass chips in it, which may explain why it seemed like the Carbide was starving and running hot.
It was GoKartsUSA that told me that my Carbide 7150 does not have a GY6 engine, and that is why the GY6 clutch torque spring I ordered from them would not fit.
There are several people on the web that claim that the stock jets in ASW buggies are lean and recommend moving up several sizes. 130 seemed to be recommended. My son's buggy has a 101 main jet in a KeiHin carb and he runs in the desert in Arizona. I don't mind running rich as long as I don't build up combustion chamber deposits.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

130 is a good medium. If you add uni and or exhaust, plan on bumping that up.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Supporting Vendor

I have had a few customers purchase parts for their carbides and have not heard of anything for the cvt not fitting, but that doesn't mean some changes weren't made to the engine type used. The problem with the Roketa's 150 has been the larger bo;t pattern of the cylinder/ head studs but everything else works on them. I had to replace cases on 3 customers who sent their Roketa motors for me to build due to the larger stud patters and also the normal GY6 crank uses the same size bearings on both ends of the crankshaft whereas the Roketa has 2 different size bearings, and their cases are stamped 157PMJ so maybe they again changed engine type again. I am thinking that these companies are getting smart and using engines that require you to go to them for parts just like the auto industry. I am trying to find just what the differances are in the JL1P57F as compared to the 157QMJ. As far as jetting goes, if you install a UNI and open up the exhaust for better breathing you would want to use a 125 jet. This will give you a nice brown color to the plug. Without a cam anything larger you will be running rich. TOM
Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Not on an ASW machine. There is something unique about their carbs. With an FMF, a UNI, and an A9 cam it took every bit of a 150 jet to accomodate it. With the cam and the exhaust, a 140 is what it liked.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Lurker

Please tell me what FMF, a UNI, A9 cam are and approximate costs and how much they add to my usable power. Most of my driving is done in soft sand at low speeds so I need maximum torque but no top end.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

If your looking for low end torque over top end than you would want to go with the A12 cam for the A9 is more for top end. The FMF goes for around $120.00, Uni $19.00 and A12 cam supplied with proper specs $79.00.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 AM
Contributor

For a simple mod, the cam is the best. Easy to do and big gains from it.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Lurker

While waiting for my rings and gaskets and seals to come from ASW in noticed that the crown of the piston is rough cast. I have never seen a piston without the crown machined smooth so I have put a mirror finish on the top of the piston. Does anyone have an opinion how this will affect engine performance.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Lurker

Well I put my Carbide back together stock for now just to make sure everything is running well. I am amazed at the low end gain I get with the 42 tooth rear sprocket, and my top end speed is only 5 km less than it was with the 32 tooth sprocket. My next step will be to order an A9 cam from Tom at SYCARMS. Tom do you know if I should replace the spark unit as well? Is there a rev limiter built into the stock unit?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Contributor

thats one big sprocket, does it hit when the rear suspention is compressed?
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Lurker

Default Large rear sprocket

I measured carefully before getting the sprocket. It is the same diameter as the brake rotor. With the chain on, there is about 3 mm clearance to the lower chain guard/frame cross-member
and doesn't hit anywhere.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Lurker

I have a 2008 JL1P57F (longcase) with reverse and cant seem to find a replacement anywhere. Does anyone know of a place.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Supporting Vendor

Whats wrong with yours? TOM
Old 06-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Lurker

The cylinders shot,vaulves are bad. Cant seem to find the right parts for it so thought I might replace it.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Give me some more info such as is this a buggy or scooter. How are the parts different. eg. is it a 2 bolt valve cover, what is the bolt pattern of the head and cyl. Give as much info you can, pics of head cyl ect can also be helpful. . TOM
Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Lurker

Its a buggy. Its a 4 bolt valve cover. The bolt pattern is 3 in diagonal. I was told it looks like a Dazon head by Kazuma parts but they weren't 100% for sure. The head has JINLANG stamped on it. Here are some pics. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG4610.jpg (36.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4611.jpg (35.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4612.jpg (34.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG4613.jpg (35.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by tabor992001; 06-07-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

It looks like a normal GY6 cyl & head to me. The 3" diagnol pattern confirms this. Give me a call at 662-301-1563. I can give you a couple of options. If I don't answer I am either on a delivery or under a piece of eqpt. just leave a message and I'll get back to you, or if you like e-mail me your phone number with a good time to call and I'll call you. TOM
Old 06-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Lurker

My number is 417-788-2104 any time is ok
Thanks
Mike
Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Lurker

Hey Tom,
I got it all cleaned up and ready to ship to you. It looks like it can be honed. Where do I need to send it?
Thanks
Mike
Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Supporting Vendor

SYC Powersports
468 Christian College Road
Senatobia,Mississippi 38668
Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Lurker

I'll get it in the mail Thursday.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Supporting Vendor

How does the head look? TOM
Old 06-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Lurker

it looks good. I'll send it with and let you take a look at it.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Contributor

You've just made the best choice you could for motor work brother. Tom can tell you more about these than you ever wanted to know
Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Lurker

Yeah, he sounds like he knows. I cant say the same for some of the others I have talked with.