BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Lurker

Default Crossfire 150 Battery issue

I have been slowly modifying and rebuilding a Crossfire. Well I have run into some serious issues and need some advice/help.

I put in a new 21 amphour battery to replace the old one and everything was fine. Engine running great with new coil and plug. punched out exhaust and motorcycle air cleaner. new jet in carb and running some 93 octane fuel and hitting consistantly in the 25 to 28 mph range.

After the third run of over 15 miles each the LED lights started to flicker and I brought it in. went to load up and the battery was at 10VDC. One of the cells had shorted out. I am in the process of replacing the battery now (Only 3 weeks old) and it was a AGM sealed battery.

Now on the question. how to check out the stator and voltage regulator. AC check on stator while running and check the output of the voltage regulator? what should be good readings?

It appears that it has a 6 stator flywheel and the appropiate voltage regulator but I would like to replace only what is necessary and with the work involved in ripping off the flywheel and such i would like to not tear down everything.

Any techs here that have run into this type of issue and any advice.

I am using this as a search and rescue vehicle with a bike rack on the back to help out bikers that have issues. I am an EMT in ohio and an Amateur Radio Operator KD8SXN and work with ARES (Amatuer Radio Emergency Service) and I was using this vehicle on a Four day 328 mile charity ride for the American Cancer Society here in Cleveland when the battery died.

Rick Thompson
rickfireftr@gmail.com

Last edited by rickfireftr; 07-29-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:56 PM

hey Rick, 1st of all welcome, you need to go to buggy depot web site, click on their tech site. Towards the bottom of the page there is a post titled ignition troubleshooting guide, click on it, it has some specs there that may help you.