BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > 250cc and Above Engine Tech

250cc and Above Engine Tech Technical Discussion Forum for 250cc and up Engines

Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Lurker

Default Battery recommendation

I'm looking for a good battery for my XYKD 260-1 and they also call it a GS Moon. My battery went out after a season and I do keep it on a trickle charge when not in use. Can anyone suggest a good brand? I'm also planning to add a winch in a couple of weeks. Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 AM
Lurker

A car battery is principally used to start the engine. It is also used to filter or stabilize power and to provide extra power for the ignition, lighting and other accessories when their combined load exceeds the capability of the charging system, i.e., when the engine is idling. It also provides power to the electrical system when the charging system is not operating. The battery lies hidden under the bonnet and is an essential component of your vehicle. Regular care is a must, for if it in bad shape, the car will refuse to move. "Push-start" is a solution but cannot be carried on for long. A well-maintained battery lasts for two years. Regular care of your battery is a must, otherwise your car will not move. "Push-start" is an option but not a long term solution. A well maintained battery usually lasts for two years.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demone_matt View Post
A car battery is principally used to start the engine. It is also used to filter or stabilize power and to provide extra power for the ignition, lighting and other accessories when their combined load exceeds the capability of the charging system, i.e., when the engine is idling. It also provides power to the electrical system when the charging system is not operating. The battery lies hidden under the bonnet and is an essential component of your vehicle. Regular care is a must, for if it in bad shape, the car will refuse to move. "Push-start" is a solution but cannot be carried on for long. A well-maintained battery lasts for two years. Regular care of your battery is a must, otherwise your car will not move. "Push-start" is an option but not a long term solution. A well maintained battery usually lasts for two years.
Yea! what he said
FYI- Push- starts don't work too well with a centrifugal clutch

But seriously- Just get a motorcyce battery from Walmart. Best bang for the buck. It will work fine for you. just insure you get the size that fits your box
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

Like Ckau said, hit up wal-mart, my bro bought one of the 26bucks lawnmower batteries and it works fine. It's not to big and it has a little more power than the motorcycle ones (although, it's not needed).

I don't know what to say Demone, that was a interesting post!
Yerfdog Spiderbox, Uni Type air filter with 6" intake, 130 jet, Orange no-rev limit cdi, Red coil, iridium plug, 1500rpm clutch springs, 1500rpm contra spring, 13g sliders, 22" rears, 21" fronts, aftermarket reverse installed, and Trailtech Vapor.

Last edited by T3beatz; 07-16-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Supporting Vendor

I sure wish I could find those 20 something batteries at walmart. I did find one in Missouri for 27.00 but it was a 4amp scooter battery. Then from that small battery they jump to the atv 9amp which is taller but they were 40.00. I have had several walmart batteries in my buggies and at most 1 year. Tried Yuosa 75.00 batt. and the same thing 1 year. I've tried disconnecting and leaving it on smart charge and same thing 1 year at most. Auto batteries, the same thing. Problem is there not putting the lead in them like years past. I'm going to try one of those high dollar shuori batteries, they claim it to be a 5 year or longer battery and has free replacement for 2 years, do not sulphate, sitting idle they will only loose 10% charge per year, weigh next to nothing and are half the size, double cca's and reserve over lead acid or gell batteries. We'll see how their claims hold up.

Last edited by SYCARMS; 07-20-2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Lite Contributor

Okay so I feel stupid right now are you guys saying that we shouldn't be using lawnmower and car batteries in our buggies because they don't charge them and it's actually better to use a smaller battery..... I have a lawn tractor size: one in mind right now and I'm having the same problem it seems like the dougie isn't charging it enough and I have to jump start it every time to run
Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 AM

I bought my last battery from a co. called chromebattery on Ebay and it has held up great so far. $28.00 shipped to my door. if you need the model # let me know and I will look it up when I go out to my shop later. [I"m in the house right now] I put it in my Crossfire150R w/150cc engine.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 AM

Buggy, I don"t think a charging system like on these buggies put out enough amps to charge a car battery.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Supporting Vendor

Batteries today use minimum lead in their plates which multiplies sulfating problems. When a battery sets in a discharged state this causes sulfating. In years back when plates were made with sufficient amounts of lead all one would have to do to disulfide a battery was to what was called cooking the battery. This is when you charge the battery with 40amps for a couple of hours. The heat would cause the sulfate to break up and float to the top. New batteries however, since the plates are so thin the heat generated from cooking melts them causing them to short against one another. So when your battery goes bad after 3 or 6 months it is usually due to an undercharged state which causes the plates to sulfate. The batteries which come in our buggies can only take 1-1.5 amps when charging as with almost all small ATV batteries. Stators on these buggies will only put out a couple amps when charging the battery. The larger capacity lawn mower battery down 50% would take about 10 hours or longer to charge at 1.5 amps. When using one of these batteries and it becomes low on charge the buggies stator will be working extra hard constantly trying to keep up with the larger capacity battery. Besides the cheap batteries being produced today two other problems occur to run a battery down. Lack of charging and voltage draw when not in use. These buggies are bad after time of drawing low doses of current even when buggy is parked and off. Since the batteries are low capacity sitting for a week or two is all that is needed to discharge and start the sulfating process which starts below 60% charge. I have put disconnects on all my buggies on the negative post. This keeps a draw from occurring during idle time plus if hidden seconds as an anti theft devise. So if you have the common battery problems the first thing to do is make sure the charging system is putting out the 13.8-14.8 volts at 1.5 amps, install a negative cutoff for when the buggy is parked for more than a day. Purchasing a good grade battery is better in the long run over a cheap battery if properly maintained. Even if the negative is disconnected if it will set up for some time (week or more) keep a maintenance charge on it. Batteries of any sort will discharge on their own. Glass matt or wet batteries(acid filled) have a short shelf life which is why you will find cheap batteries online. A warehouse stocking glass matt or wet batteries will not be charging their batteries. You may get a battery that set on a shelf for 6 months prior to purchase, charge will be down and sulfating has already set in. The longer it sets the lower the charge the more sulfated the battery will be. It is best to purchase either a dry battery( one you add the acid to) if going this route it is definitely a must that it be charged with a smart charger prior to putting it into service for if not the charge will always be down leading to a quick sulfating process. Even though they are called charging systems the vehicles charging system is really a maintain charger. A battery charger is what is needed to charge the battery from a low state of charge. Another more expensive option is to go with one of the premium lithium batteries and stay away from the cheap lithium for if not properly manufactured they can blow up. Remember the Sony laptop battery in the Volvo several years ago that blew up, it is still on You Tube, the car looked like it was full of explosives. Which ever way you go with batteries wet, dry glass matt always read and follow the instructions which come with it. I'll bet if I run a pole of all members on the forum I will only maybe get a handful who ever read the instruction sheet. Those who do read them will have better luck out of their batteries. Todays batteries are much different than batteries of old which in all my years until recent never remember being included with instructions. Hopefully this info is helpful.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Lite Contributor

Thank you so much man that was more than helpful... I got a weeks worth of education in one paragraph...lol... I think I will look at a battery totally different now .... And with a lot more understanding of how it functions I think I'm going to go all out with my investment into this buggy .. I see you're supporting vendor.... And a very knowledgeable one at that.... Whereabouts are you located and Will you ship to Connecticut...
Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

I'm in Mississippi and yes I ship to Connecticut.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Heavy Contributor

That's very good info Sycarms!!! Thanks.