BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Electrical Tech

Electrical Tech General Tech for Electrical issues not related to specific engines (Lights etc)

Old 12-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Heavy Contributor

Angry destroyer of ground wires

Hi Folks,
Been gone and busy with military stuff, and when i got home one of the first things I did after hugging the family was... OF COURSE FIRE UP THE BUGGY DAMMIT!!! "WUrrrr-wurr-wurrr-wurrrrrrrrrr......." Oh, is my battery dead? No.. Just me melting my wiring again.... For some reason I occasionally send craploads of voltage down my ground wire.. I'm wondering if it's something loose up in my dash I built.. I checked the negative terminal on the battery to make sure that was tight.. I'll have to do and autopsy of the harness.. (BTW it fired right up after, but anything that was next to the ground wire is melted too.) Oh well, I'll have to order harness number three..
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Lite Contributor

Gotta love those damn shorts. The heat is intense I feel your pain, luckily mine was only voltage regulators cooking.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Lite Contributor

btw thank you for serving!
Old 12-24-2014, 12:14 AM
Lurker

Do you know how to do a voltage drop test? That will be the easiest way to find your problem.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Supporting Vendor

Also check for short to ground.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:13 AM
Heavy Contributor

Yeah, I need advice how to diagnose this, electrical systems aren't part of my skillsets I've got a multimeter and I'm not colorblind..Those are my only bonuses as far as wiring goes. The problem ONLY happens when I crank the motor, so any help would be appreciated Thanks!
Taida 4V head with 23/22mm valves, forged 4V piston,Taida 62mm jug,forged Taida 8200 KDU stroker crank, Koso high-flow oil pump, Taida case half w/ oil cooler ports, Setrab oil cooler,TrailTec Vapor, Mikuni VM26-606, aluminum 30mm intake, Uni filter, aluminum stack, Hammerhead racing exhaust, MotoRio adjustable CDI/HO Coil, Iridium plug, Full Dr Pulley CVT kit w/ 16g sliders, JD's Mikuni slide kit

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Heavy Contributor

Your getting way too much resistance somewhere in the ground circuit.
either a broken wire inside the jacket, corroded wire and/or connectors or as Tom suggested, a dead short.
what size wires are used for the ground leads? How and where are they connected to the motor case?
Seeing as this occurs in the cranking cycle I would inspect all the wiring associated with this circuit first.
If it were me I wouldn't waste time trying to trace it down I would rip out the whole ground associated system starting at the battery then replace with 10g minimum. Once these wires get hot a time or two their life span deteriorates very quickly.
Replacing the whole ground system with fresh wire will give you a permanent fix.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Supporting Vendor

ckau is correct. I never had a problem with mine until I changed my stator to a 10 pole. after the change my ground would occasionally burn up and if I run the engine hard it would blow the fuse and I would have to replace it for the next start. When my harness went bad (at least I thought for it turned out to be the stator even though all checks showed it to be good) I made my own harness using 14g wire for the harness with 10g as the heavy load wires and ground, with sealed plug ends. I have not had any trouble since.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Heavy Contributor

I've replaced the harness twice, so corrosion/breakage shouldn't be as issue as the wires are new. The ground is going to the engine case in the stock location. If I'm not mistaken the ground wire is part of the harness, so I've been hesitant to split it open (obviously wiring isn't my strong suit.) I made a custom aluminum dash with new switches/ignition/etc and I'm wondering if something up on that end is wrong (ignition switch?) thats flooding the ground with voltage.. All the accessories the wire into the power seem to work okay (TT Vapor, lights, indicator lights, blinkers, etc) but maybe somethings amiss..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Lurker

Put your volt meter on dc volts. Take the circuit n question and check across the circuit. You could go from the battery negative post to the ground at the engine. Start the engine and observe the volunteer readings cranking. I don't think you should see over a volt. If you do, you will have to make a measurement somewhere else in the same circuit until you isolate the problem.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
Put your volt meter on dc volts. Take the circuit n question and check across the circuit. You could go from the battery negative post to the ground at the engine. Start the engine and observe the volunteer readings cranking. I don't think you should see over a volt. If you do, you will have to make a measurement somewhere else in the same circuit until you isolate the problem.
One lead of the meter on the Neg terminal one lead on the ground? Just making sure i'm hearing you right..

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-24-2014, 09:03 AM

You can also add another ground wire or strap from the engine to negative post of the battery for good measure.

Might I suggest you clean your ground bolt threads and chase the threads inside the engine case to clean any debris out. And do not use any thread locker (Loctite) on it as that may be preventing you from having a good contact.

Just a quick thought. Your bolt isn't loose or stripped out is it?
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 12-24-2014, 09:05 AM
Lurker

Yes. Start from both ends. If voltage is high on the ground side, you will leave the battery one there and move closer to it on the other side until you measure close to zero.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
You can also add another ground wire or strap from the engine to negative post of the battery for good measure.

Might I suggest you clean your ground bolt threads and chase the threads inside the engine case to clean any debris out. And do not use any thread locker (Loctite) on it as that may be preventing you from having a good contact.

Just a quick thought. Your bolt isn't loose or stripped out is it?
Ok, I'll check the bolts but they should be ok. I Like the additional connection idea. I'll also check that the Battery Tender connections that sit between the battery and the harness aren't cruddy and causing problems.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
Yes. Start from both ends. If voltage is high on the ground side, you will leave the battery one there and move closer to it on the other side until you measure close to zero.
Roger that, I'll check that too.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
ckau is correct. I never had a problem with mine until I changed my stator to a 10 pole. after the change my ground would occasionally burn up and if I run the engine hard it would blow the fuse and I would have to replace it for the next start. When my harness went bad (at least I thought for it turned out to be the stator even though all checks showed it to be good) I made my own harness using 14g wire for the harness with 10g as the heavy load wires and ground, with sealed plug ends. I have not had any trouble since.
Awesome. I'll dissect the old harness to see how it's wired and maybe build a new one with beefier wires. The section of the harness than runs forward to the dash seems to be fine, but I'm rough on my buggy so I'll double check that something up there hasn't come loose too.

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickartistic View Post
btw thank you for serving!
Your Welcome!! 'Murica!

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-24-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbob View Post
Your Welcome!! 'Murica!
Thank you for your service, and also thanks for the laugh.
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........
Old 12-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Heavy Contributor

So I dissected the 1st harness back to the point where all the ground wires connect together and the one to the engine case looks like the only one that heated up (besides the ones that were in close proximity)

2014 Kandi 90B
Old 12-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

Run a braided ground strap from engine to engine carrier.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Heavy Contributor

Cool, hopefully the harness that's on it now can be salvaged with a new main ground. The one i took apart melted it's neighbors and is beyond hope. I'll probably get a new one and beef up the grounding on that one too..

2014 Kandi 90B