BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum

Go Back   BuggyMasters.Com - An On Line Mini Buggy Forum and Go Kart Forum > Technical Discussions > Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech

Go Kart Engine and Torque Converter Tech Forum for discussing go kart engines and torque converters (Briggs, Tecumseh, Suburu, Comet etc)

Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Lurker

Default manco 616 looking for help

just purchased a used manco model 616 for the kids. stickers on the cage say fox, stickers on the plastic body panels say vortex. not sure what to refer to it as. 169cc subaru robin with a comet torque converter. that's our problem. kart jumps and skips bad. replaced clutch with new one provided by last owner and I want to remove and clean the converter but can't seem to remove the darn thing. any advice pics or videos on this process would be greatly appreciated. It appears to my very amature eye that the pieces that lock the converter into place may be worn and causing the jumping. Is it time to replace? if so where do i i.d. the model of converter and should i upgrade if possible? thank you. just noticed converter is marked comet 20 p5. are the pieces/teeth that lock the converter made of plastic? can they be replaced by the ones on the back side that show no wear? thanks.

Last edited by vortex manco; 06-29-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: new info
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.*****************/asymapp.htm this resource is excellent for all the info you're after. The clutch bell stamped may say 20 but is probably a 30 series clutch.Don't quite understand this statement"are the pieces/teeth that lock the converter made of plastic? can they be replaced by the ones on the back side that show no wear?"If your referring to the contact rubbers/inserts-no. You need them on both sides for up-shift and down-shift- normally the only time these get replaced is because they fall off.If your clutch is grabbing and jerking it's usually caused by lack of lube(dry spray lube).On the link provided is an explaination for this.If the wrong belt or extremely worn belt is being used several things will occur-slow starts,sudden engagement with slippage and total lock up of the driven unit. The driven unit has a snap ring just behind the bolt,you need to depress the outer ramp and remove the snap ring, sometimes there may be pressure on the outer ring so use caution. The shaft that the pulleys slide on may just need lubricating.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Lurker

thanks, i was refering to the contact rubbers/inserts. the ones angled forward are pretty smoked but the ones angled to the rear look untouched. i did blaster dry lube the new clutch and want to service the converter if your advice payss off for me. any idea where i can find out if it's running the right belt? it's manco#5959 right now. it has all of its teeth but i cant see anything that would grab teeth making me worry it's wrong. Thanks. I appreciate the help and patience. Summer vacation is no time to have the kart on jack stands.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

I agree-a non-functioning kart isn't any fun! First thing to discuss- The inserts are to protect/dampen the ramps on the driven unit when shifting up or down. Being worn isn't causing your issues but being caused by the jerky action. On the link I sent you there is a section for finding the right belt, the teeth in the belt has nothing to do with it ability to work since the belt is worked on the sides against the pulleys only.
How much slack is there on the belt when idling? Next thing to check-you should be able to turn the outer pulley on the driven by hand to see if it's functioning properly, when you turn it the pulley halves should expand easily with just resistance from the spring.There isn't much to the driven as far as moving parts! Having the shaft lubed so the outer pulley can slide easily is all the maintenance needed. Can you post a pic of the engine area and clutch system- Alignment of the engine and CVT may be off causing the the problem- proper alignment is when the pulley halfs engine side are aligned.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Lurker

I also purchased a used mango model 606C-14 for the kids. It has a 169cc subaru I also have a problem With the kart jumping bad. It also has not much power going up a hill or flat ground. What did you find that fixed the jumping.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:45 AM
Lurker

I also purchased a used mango model 606C-14 for the kids. It has a 169cc subaru I also have a problem With the kart jumping bad . It also has not much power going up a hill or flat ground. What did you find that fixed the jumping